Fuel Mileage - Possible Problem - How is yours? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Fuel Mileage - Possible Problem - How is yours?

To start, when I first got the car I drove very normally. Occasionally hitting the gas a bit harder, but generally driving very "average" (not leaving anyone behind me from lights but not slowing anyone down, either). After 2-3 months (probably around 10k miles) I started hitting the gas a bit harder, but still nothing crazy. I'd gun it from a light 2-3 times per month, but otherwise no racing or anything of the sort. My average MPG in the first 6 months hovered around 31-32. I'd say approximately 75% of my driving is highway (15 min drive to work, all highway and not much traffic since I live in the city and work 20 min west of it).

Here I am 18 months later (bit more, but it started happening around there) and my average MPG is now below 29. The worst part? I now *baby* the gas far more than I did before. I still don't get left behind at lights, but I rarely pass people unless I don't have to speed up, and I very very rarely put my foot anywhere near the floor. I drive very conservatively and my MPG is 28-29 with pretty much every fill-up.

It all started after that last transmission update. It screwed up the way my car drives, and it also lowered my MPG (I'm seeing a consistent 10% drop from previously). I asked them about it at the dealership and they took it for a test drive. He got back and he said "the car reads 34MPG after we reset it and drove it for 5 minutes". I got in and it said "30.4MPG", because they took it for a 5 min stint on the highway and reset it just after getting up to speed.

Anyone else having reduced MPG problems? I'm lucky to get around 340 miles on a full tank of gas, whereas before I was close to 400. And no, it's not the gauge. I filled up with 11.84 gallons today after 329 miles...and I'd say at least 80% of that was highway steady cruising at 68mph (according to the cruise control speedo).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
Desmo748
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105715
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Black Focus SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 Desmo748 Good Standing Member
340 miles in town on a full tank? that is about what i am getting showing an average of 29 mpg. Granted when i full up (light comes on ~47 miles till empty) i only put in 9.75 gallons. I don't think i ever put in more than that much in the car.

But 80% highway does seems a bit low. They switch to winter gas there yet?

(GO STEELERES!!!)
Old 12-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
1slofofo
Adam

Fan#: 92422
What I Drive: Mk3

Points 4,428, Level 42
Points: 4,428, Level: 42 Points: 4,428, Level: 42 Points: 4,428, Level: 42
Level Up 39% Completed
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 6 1slofofo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I feel the same, although before I did give it more gas, I could easily get low-mid 30s around town, now it's high 20s, 30s if I reset it.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

Points 3,986, Level 40
Points: 3,986, Level: 40 Points: 3,986, Level: 40 Points: 3,986, Level: 40
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
To start, when I first got the car I drove very normally. Occasionally hitting the gas a bit harder, but generally driving very "average" (not leaving anyone behind me from lights but not slowing anyone down, either). After 2-3 months (probably around 10k miles) I started hitting the gas a bit harder, but still nothing crazy. I'd gun it from a light 2-3 times per month, but otherwise no racing or anything of the sort. My average MPG in the first 6 months hovered around 31-32. I'd say approximately 75% of my driving is highway (15 min drive to work, all highway and not much traffic since I live in the city and work 20 min west of it).

Here I am 18 months later (bit more, but it started happening around there) and my average MPG is now below 29. The worst part? I now *baby* the gas far more than I did before. I still don't get left behind at lights, but I rarely pass people unless I don't have to speed up, and I very very rarely put my foot anywhere near the floor. I drive very conservatively and my MPG is 28-29 with pretty much every fill-up.

It all started after that last transmission update. It screwed up the way my car drives, and it also lowered my MPG (I'm seeing a consistent 10% drop from previously). I asked them about it at the dealership and they took it for a test drive. He got back and he said "the car reads 34MPG after we reset it and drove it for 5 minutes". I got in and it said "30.4MPG", because they took it for a 5 min stint on the highway and reset it just after getting up to speed.

Anyone else having reduced MPG problems? I'm lucky to get around 340 miles on a full tank of gas, whereas before I was close to 400. And no, it's not the gauge. I filled up with 11.84 gallons today after 329 miles...and I'd say at least 80% of that was highway steady cruising at 68mph (according to the cruise control speedo).

I'm wondering what the adaptive effect is here and maybe if you disconnected the battery and started the learning thing over again that might help.

OTH, this is now the winter season and the fuel blend tends to lower mileage. Also, idling to warm it up eats gas as does the richer fuel mixture while it's warming. Fianlly, the air density is higher as it gets colder and that lower mileage, it tends to improve max power but at the cost of lower mileage.

Brian
Old 12-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #5
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
I'm wondering what the adaptive effect is here and maybe if you disconnected the battery and started the learning thing over again that might help.

OTH, this is now the winter season and the fuel blend tends to lower mileage. Also, idling to warm it up eats gas as does the richer fuel mixture while it's warming. Fianlly, the air density is higher as it gets colder and that lower mileage, it tends to improve max power but at the cost of lower mileage.

Brian
I understand and agree with all of that, but I don't think it's even dropped below freezing here yet. Cleveland is usually pretty cold this time of year already, but today it was high 50s, as it has been pretty much all week (I think Monday it was high 30s, but that's it).

Up until the past 2 weeks, it's been 50-60 every day since summer (with very few exceptions). Winter fuel is most likely out now, but this problem has been going on since mid-summer. I've had it at the dealership for other things twice and mentioned it, and both times they said it's perfectly acceptable.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #6
VectorZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100457
What I Drive: 12' Focus Titanium Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 VectorZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'm seeing the same thing. I am thinking it's a combination of colder temps, winter fuel blend and driving on roads with standing water all of the time. I was getting around 31ish and now I'm in the 28 range.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:54 AM   #7
F35-JSF
Focus Addict

Fan#: 102775
What I Drive: 12' Tuxedo Black SE, 08' ZZR-600

Points 379, Level 7
Points: 379, Level: 7 Points: 379, Level: 7 Points: 379, Level: 7
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 2 F35-JSF Good Standing Member
You sure it isn't just the winter fuel blues? My mpg dropped to 26-27 average from 29-31 (I drive mostly city).
:lol:Modding is whatever you define it as. Some people wanna boost, some people need 10 TVs, and some of these homos feel compelled to LED their cars front to back.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
Freedom540
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98402
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Freedom540 Good Standing Member
I am having very bad fuel economy

My daily driving consists of 42 total miles, 36 of which is 75mph I-95 traffic in Northern Virginia. I am averaging 27mpg in my 2012 Titanium on the same driving I used to get 32 mpg in a 2008 Focus SES wth 92,000 miles. This is very disappointing fuel economy for a small hatchback. You can get that kind of performance in some full size cars and mid size SUVs. I understand I am not going to get the advertised 38 mpg but for highway driving over the past 3 months where the ambient temperature averages in the 60s. How bad is 27mpg? I used to own an 82 Buick Lesabre full size car with a 5 liter V-8 engine which got 27mpg in mixed driving! Something is not right here.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
gsxrboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103574
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 gsxrboy Good Standing Member
Have you checked the tire pressure yet? Every month you should be checking the tire pressure to make sure it is set correctly.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/gsxrboy/focus
Old 12-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #10
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 6,046, Level 50
Points: 6,046, Level: 50 Points: 6,046, Level: 50 Points: 6,046, Level: 50
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrboy View Post
Have you checked the tire pressure yet? Every month you should be checking the tire pressure to make sure it is set correctly.
I would think the TPMS would alert you long before it got low enough to affect fuel economy.

My gut feeling is that the 12B37 update does not negatively affect fuel economy in a significant way. I got the update a few months ago and driveability worsened, the 6th gear shift point got moved up, but I never saw a decrease in mpg. I even had some clutch slippage issues (uneven accel. / speed and rpms not linearly related while accelerating) which led my dealer to replace the clutches a few hundred miles. But despite the clutch problems I still noticed no significant decrease in economy.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.