Engine overheating....Stop and turn off car. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
jellybean
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93883
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Titanium

FF Reputation: 0 jellybean Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Engine overheating....Stop and turn off car.

I am driving on the freeway yesterday with my family. Traffic is bumper to bumper. Suddenly we feel hot air coming through the AC unit and then the message on the display shows "Engine Overheating...stop car..". This is accompanied by a red information indicator light.

I am now freaking out as the freeway is jammed, I am 80 miles from where I live and don't know the area I am in, and somehow I have to find an exit to pull off. I was not sure if the car was just going to die right there in the middle of the traffic.

I finally manage to pull off at an exit into a gas station. I open the hood and everything looks fine. There is coolant, no hissing noises and no steam....long story short, there happened to be a ford dealer right there. I drove into service and had the service manager come out and look at the car. He saw the issue and verified my concern. I leave the car there and get into a rental.

Today, I get a call at 4pm to say they cannot duplicate the issue and I can come pick up the car. I ask the SM what I am supposed to do now, after all "you saw the problem, I saw the problem, my wife saw the problem and I have a photo of the problem.". He tells me he definitely did see the problem, but they don't know what to fix as there are no codes and today when they tested it it seemed fine.

So...here I am again...stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I called my regional CSM...and as usual he did not call back.
Between this and the other issues I have had with this POS I am at the end of the line in the patience department.

1. Overheating
2. MFT issues
3. Headliner issues
4. Hood not lining up
5. Door trim and door not lining up
6. Tranny slipping into neutral while driving.
7. Doors not working with keyless entry

This is now the second dealer that has seen my car, and neither of them have a clue. Ford Customer Service say "take it to another dealer". How many times should I do this....

I COULD GO ON, BUT I MIGHT JUST POP A VESSEL IN MY NECK AT THIS POINT....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
05focusST91
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83640
What I Drive: 2008 chevy cobalt SS/TC.

Points 2,675, Level 31
Points: 2,675, Level: 31 Points: 2,675, Level: 31 Points: 2,675, Level: 31
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 6 05focusST91 Good Standing Member
The fans are coming on and going off after a while right?
Still here!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
jellybean
Focus Enthusiast

The AC fans must have turned off. It started blowing hot air. The AC was fine for at least 60-70 miles of the drive. The dealer did confirm that they would turn off if the engine started overheating.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
vegachicago
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89988
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Sterling Grey

Points 903, Level 16
Points: 903, Level: 16 Points: 903, Level: 16 Points: 903, Level: 16
Level Up 3% Completed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 2 vegachicago Good Standing Member
I think 05Focus is referring to your radiator fan. It's electric and turns on when the coolant temperature is high and turns off when regular temp is reached. You can watch it yourself, it should turn on and off while idling although it does take awhile sometimes.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
05focusST91
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83640
What I Drive: 2008 chevy cobalt SS/TC.

Points 2,675, Level 31
Points: 2,675, Level: 31 Points: 2,675, Level: 31 Points: 2,675, Level: 31
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 6 05focusST91 Good Standing Member
^that, sorry i should have been more descriptive, plenty of the new fords at my dealer have had problems with the cooling fans, explorers/escapes/flex's etc it could be a matter of reprogramming the pcm if it has a new calibration for the cooling fans similar to the pcm update to relearn the cooling fan strategy than monitor the fans through a data logger and turn them on/off manually at a high load to ensure that they are working properly, hopefully its an easy fix like that. Good luck!
Still here!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
jellybean
Focus Enthusiast

yeah, well the dealer did none of that. They could not find any codes, and therefore did nothing. I am at the end of the line with this excuse for a car.
Why should we have to sit here and do research on possible solutions. At this point I honestly believe I know more about this *not so focused* Focus, than the dealers do.

I bought the car new---which should translate to some sort of peace of mind. I guess this is not the case.
Ford probably did not need bail out money because they decided to cut costs at every possible corner and then have consumers like us, who believed in the company, spend our hard earned money on their products, only to land up in this boat.
I know every company has its problems, but this is just not acceptable.
If I ran my company like this, I would be out of business a long time ago.

When Ford show me that they are being proactive and do something more than just issue case numbers and canned messages "can't duplicate" or "take to another dealer", perhaps just maybe, I will get some faith back. I am however, not holding my breath.

Perhaps it is time to "SWAP MY RIDE" as the ad campaign says.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #7
cmmike1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63736
What I Drive: 2008 Silver Coupe SES

Points 1,044, Level 17
Points: 1,044, Level: 17 Points: 1,044, Level: 17 Points: 1,044, Level: 17
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 cmmike1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
i had the same thing happen on my 08 twice this summer. couldn't duplicate it any other time but i was told that maybe the thermostat got stuck and the cooling fans turned off. solution would be to turn the heater on and it will start those fans again to cool the engine. haven't gotten around to investigate it more since its been cold out.

Bookmarks & Social Networks