Winter Fuel Econcomy - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
SydneyRoo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86671
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium Blue Candy

Points 1,434, Level 21
Points: 1,434, Level: 21 Points: 1,434, Level: 21 Points: 1,434, Level: 21
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 SydneyRoo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdetzel View Post
According to here:
http://1010tires.com/tiresizecalcula...?action=submit
There would be about a 6% increase with the smaller tires.

In other words if you traveled 100 miles your odometer would actually show 106 miles.

It actually says 5.833%, which @ 30mpg would show as a 1.7mpg increase.

That is just what that site says, I do not actually know how to do any of the tire size calculations.
Oops I goofed. The factory Michelin PS3s are 235/40/18.
I reran the calc and it said the 16s would now read 2.1% fast. That's pretty negligible IMO (ie, actual speed is 100 km/h but speedo reads 102).

The 18s are way too fat for this car, but they are awesome. My fuel eco definitely is better with the skinnier winter tires on (while it's still not actually winter yet, most days are above freezing still). Maybe when the 18s wear out I might pick up some factory 17s, just to have a hope at actually getting 40 mpg for once :p
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #12
jsr72
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97393
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

Points 147, Level 2
Points: 147, Level: 2 Points: 147, Level: 2 Points: 147, Level: 2
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 5 jsr72 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoShockers View Post
Also, how much of an impact on fuel mileage does cold air cause? Let's take away the fuel aspect and perhaps even the warm-up period. Does the colder, denser, "heavier" air cause enough problems aerodynamically to make a difference?
To produce an identical level of aerodynamic form drag, if the air density is increased then the velocity must correspondingly decrease.

In highly idealized situation if the air pressure happens to be the same at two different temperatures, then the new velocity is simply the original velocity times the square root of the new temperature divided by the square root of the original temperature. (Use absolute temperatures in the calculation)

For instance, if a vehicle is traveling 70 mph at 70F, then it experiences the same amount of form drag at 67.3 mph at 30F.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:23 AM   #13
MelloYelloTi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95982
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Focus Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 MelloYelloTi Good Standing Member
Last 2 tanks have averaged to about 27 to 28 mpg overall. Down about 4 mpg from about a month ago. Still not to bad as my Sable was getting 16 to 17 mpg overall in the same temps..
Old 12-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #14
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91903
What I Drive: 2012 C.Red Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 3 gkirk Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr72 View Post
To produce an identical level of aerodynamic form drag, if the air density is increased then the velocity must correspondingly decrease.

In highly idealized situation if the air pressure happens to be the same at two different temperatures, then the new velocity is simply the original velocity times the square root of the new temperature divided by the square root of the original temperature. (Use absolute temperatures in the calculation)

For instance, if a vehicle is traveling 70 mph at 70F, then it experiences the same amount of form drag at 67.3 mph at 30F.
I think the ideal case is pretty good - without putting the car in a wind tunnel and checking it.

:)
Old 01-23-2013, 09:01 AM   #15
Pinion Dominion
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105589
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Pinion Dominion Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Today I drove my usual 4.1km to work. The temperature outside was -19 degrees Celsius.

When I started my car the distance to empty was 401km. When I got to work the distance to empty was 380km! (When I fill up to max, distance to empty is 540km)

Now I always found the distance to empty was a pretty accurate number as it seemed to be tailored for city driving. For example, when I drive 120km (90% highway) to visit family, the distance to empty goes down at max 80km.

Is there any tips you guys have to improve winter fuel economy?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.