MTX-75 Problems going into 3rd? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
MTX-75 Problems going into 3rd?

Now I just got done repairing my shift tower again after the temporary repair with a smaller bolt earlier this year. It's going into all gears great except 3rd on my test drive.

As soon as I got back home, I felt around under the battery, and found a wiring loom that had slipped off it's clip. That was potentially causing some of the problem. I'm not sure as of yet if it was the whole problem. The car needs to cool off while I eat so I can change the oil and fuel filter- my final task for the day.

I'm wondering if any of the rest of you have had issues getting into 3rd only, and what you might've done to repair the issue. I had hoped that my problems with 3rd were merely due to the small bolt I had in the shift tower. I never had problems before the tower went out the first time.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
xFOCIx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23553
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3 5spd

FF Reputation: 15 xFOCIx Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
When you quickly shift from 2nd to 3rd with a large RPM difference, does it grind?

For example, accelerate strong through second, then quickly shift into 3rd.

Does it shift easily when you double clutch? (if you're downshifting to third, rev up to what the RPM would be when you get into third, release clutch in neutral, then clutch in and push into 3rd).

If so, you have a draggy clutch or a messed up 3rd synchro.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
I'm presently trying to keep from burning my arm adjusting the cable with the engine hot. So far so good. This is how I fixed it the last time it did this to me. The car was going into third before I did the shift tower. I doubt it's the synchro, it's just not going far enough into the gear to hold. I might need new cables, but like I wrote earlier- it was going into third.

As far as the clutch goes, it still holds, the pressure plate is old, but I have no slippage at 149k miles. I want this stocker to go further than my previous record of 160k miles. We'll see.

Quote:
Old 12-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
xFOCIx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23553
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3 5spd

FF Reputation: 15 xFOCIx Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
I'm presently trying to keep from burning my arm adjusting the cable with the engine hot. So far so good. This is how I fixed it the last time it did this to me. The car was going into third before I did the shift tower. I doubt it's the synchro, it's just not going far enough into the gear to hold. I might need new cables, but like I wrote earlier- it was going into third.

As far as the clutch goes, it still holds, the pressure plate is old, but I have no slippage at 149k miles. I want this stocker to go further than my previous record of 160k miles. We'll see.
My clutch is having issues with the ends touching intermittently. So, I'd be in second, come to a light, clutch in all the way, and it grinds going into first sometimes.

If I shift quickly into third with great input/output RPM diffs, it grinds, indicating synchro issues.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Does the same thing occurs when down shifting as up shifting? The going from 2nd to 3rd is the first time the later cable (not sure how else to say it) so it may either be catching or just has higher friction on that initial pull.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 12-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
3rd seems to be the bad gear in all mtx75's.
The only thing I've ever found that helped (didn't fix) was switching to a lighter fluid. IMO, the Ford stuff, Syncromesh, ATF are all to thick at temp. A little thinner and the Syncro matches speed with the gear better, least that's my theory.

Also, cables do stretch over time and with ware. As well as the shift selector bushings.

I've never got my cables adjusted perfectly. Right now I'm set so 1-4 are looser while 5th and R are kinda a bugger.

Then there's the shifter base flex issue. I HATE Nylon.

Add up all the slop points in old parts and it comes to the point where no matter what you adjust, you just won't get it back to new.

New cables and a Contour/SVT shifter base go along ways to take up much of the slop.

Internally I wonder if knocking the sharp edges off the shift gate would help some. Kogbox is the guy to ask about that though ...
Old 12-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Eh, I don't have the same shifter as you do. Mine is a Tri-Ax- 2 cables, and the pivot point on the shifter is where it stops- the arm ends in a ball. Instead of a cable under the pivot, there is a cable connected to the shaft, and a 90 degree arm that sticks out from the pivot. The cable on the shaft does the gear selection (vertical), and the 90 degree arm pulls a cable that does the gates (horiz).

Eventually I'm writing a How-To, but I'd like to know what the issue is with 3rd. It was going into it fine.

I'm just going to keep cranking down to add more cable to that one. I might be at the end of it- which is why nothing seems to help. Perhaps when I put the shift tower back in- something was amiss. I'm not sure. it simply feels like it is not going far enough into the gear. I get grinding or it pops out. It wasn't doing that before. 5th would pop out, but that's not a big deal IMO. 3rd is more of a problem.

Quote:
Old 12-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Thanks for the help everyone- here's to hoping I didn't screw up something in the transmission when I put it back in. You'd think 4th wouldn't work if I had.

Quote:
Old 12-03-2012, 12:27 AM   #9
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Well if 5th is giving issue aswell, it's an alignment issue. The cable for the up/down is not centered.
Not a shifter issue IMO. Though adjusting the shifter will make it go away simply because it'll allow more cable movement, it will also allow more movement to 2/4 which are just fine. So you'll have too much cable, or sloppy feeling.

It's probably off maybe a gripper, 2 at max.
It's tough to feel the grippers on the cable ends but if you're soft you can feel what I'm talking about.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:05 AM   #10
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Gripper? You think maybe I hit something when I was putting the tower back in?

I'll see what happens on the way to work this morning. Maybe I need a new shift tower after the pin broke on the other one. There didn't seem to be anything wrong with the one I took out yesterday. I was thinking there might be some physical obstruction on top of the transmission. I think it's going to come down to me having to remove the battery this evening and see what I can figure out.

Quote:

Bookmarks & Social Networks