Ford focus Chugging - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
craigom
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107502
What I Drive: 2005 ford focus zetec

FF Reputation: 1 craigom Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ford focus Chugging

Hi Guys/ ladies

I have a ford focus Zetec 1.6 petrol, i currently have a problem when driving around 2500rpm too 300o rpm the engine starts chugging, when i go over 3000 rpm its kind goes away and the power feels normal, i have just changes the HT leads and spark pluggs,before i did that i would actually stall the car, so they have definetly helped.

Could anyone advise the problem to cure this please :) im thinking spending money on a ignition coil but dont know if its any thing to do with fuel starvation.

Kind Regards

Craig

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
Oblivion
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92148
What I Drive: 2001 Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 3 Oblivion Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigom View Post
Hi Guys/ ladies

I have a ford focus Zetec 1.6 petrol, i currently have a problem when driving around 2500rpm too 300o rpm the engine starts chugging, when i go over 3000 rpm its kind goes away and the power feels normal, i have just changes the HT leads and spark pluggs,before i did that i would actually stall the car, so they have definetly helped.

Could anyone advise the problem to cure this please :) im thinking spending money on a ignition coil but dont know if its any thing to do with fuel starvation.

Kind Regards

Craig
You do know that AutoZone can test an ignition coil for you, for free, yes? I also believe NAPA and PepBoys? also does this for free.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:52 AM   #3
Incognito27
Focus Addict

Fan#: 34939
What I Drive: 2003 Ford Focus ZX5 Premium - White

FF Reputation: 3 Incognito27 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
He is in the UK

Not sure he has a pep boys or autozone
Old 12-21-2012, 05:04 AM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
A cracked coil is a problem that is fairly common. Are you handy with tools? Have you ever changed your own fuel filter? I would first suggest a "tune-up": plugs, wires (already done), fuel filter, air filter, and PCV check or replacement. This clears up a lot of problems, and is certainly not money wasted if the vehicle is old.

Forgive me, but I don't know specifics on your vehicle, but if you have an EGR there is a good possibility that it is involved in your issue also. The EGR, exhaust gas recirculation, is supposed to take unburnt fuel from the exhaust and mix that back with the incoming air/fuel mix until the engine is warmed up enough to run without a lot of unburnt fuel. To monitor this, there is a pressure sensing module which may or may not be separate from the EGR itself. On a 1.6, it is likely that it's a separate module. When that goes bad, it might send false information to the EGR keeping it either open or closed at the wrong times. Yours sounds like it's open- either stuck open by crud or open due to a bad DPFE (pressure sensing module). It's something for you to look into.

Unfortunately, I can't be more specific. EGRs work the same no matter which side of the pond someone is on, however, we have only recently started seeing the 1.6 Duratec here in the USA. I've only seen one under the hood of a 2011 Fiesta. The good news is that Ford is going to global engines, so sometime in the future there won't be so much confusion- hurrah hurrah!

Best of luck!

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->