Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Tak'in the Foci in for an Oil Leak and other probs.

5K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  PratoN 
#1 · (Edited)
After 18,000 miles it developed a pretty good oil leak. I removed the under panel and saw oil drips hanging from some bolt heads. Seems to be coming from around the exhaust manifold area, as it burns it can be smelled.

Also will have them check out a few other concerns such as the Drooping Mirror Syndrome, Front End Clunking, Headliner Rattles, etc....

I figure this will take a couple days to get fixed and wondering if anyone has had any luck getting a loaner from the dealer while repairs are being made.

:/EDIT|:
Pictures are on page 2 post #14

#4 ·
Ok dropped the car off at the dealership this morning. The Service Advisor smelled the oil burning and saw leak. Told them to look at the front end and the drooping mirror also. After reading the horror story in another thread about a dealer trying to fix a rattle in the headliner I decided to fix that rattle myself.

They did give me a rental car, its a 2012 Ford Focus SE. He did say that they wouldnt get to it till December 3rd, so there wasnt much argument on the loaner as I live 60 miles away from the dealer and travel 50 miles daily to and from work.

#5 ·
The service manager called me today and said it was from where they had spilled some oil on the last oil change. I called Bullshit on that and explained why it wasnt spillage from the last oil change... 4600 miles ago is when they changed the oil and 5 days ago is when I began to smell the oil burning and seeing drips on the bottom side.... He said they put some dye in it and didnt see it come out, I suggested they run it a little longer, he said he would call back Monday.

This is the point at which I get angry with Stealerships.

#8 ·
I just noticed my February oil change invoice (25k miles ago) stated they found an oil leak and "Further investigation is required."

Shame on me for not reading it until now (since I'm making copies for the BBB...), but why didn't anyone bring it to my attention at the time and why hasn't anyone brought this to my attention since? I'm guessing it's the same oil leak on the top of the engine, I could never really tell if it was a leak or just dirty...

#9 ·
The Service Manager called this afternoon and said they cant find an oil leak, the rear view mirror is as tight as it can get, and the clunking in the front end is the transmission clicking and shifting..... Also they forgot to do the oil change.... Now what do I do. I cant make the Dealership fix my car if they are just going to make excuses.... Is there an escalation process to get these types of things dealt with?

#11 ·
Is take the car back and drive it for another week or so, less if the burning smell returns.immediately or smells stronger, but if it shows up later again then they would be more prone to fixing and replacing things since it had already occurred once before.

#13 ·
So tonight I was driving home and had the cruise control set going up a hill and noticed 5000 RPMs and loosing speed WTF?? So I cancel the cruise and notice for some strange reason that when I push the accelerator the transmission downshifts (or increases RPMs) and no acceleration occurs. The car is over revving with no acceleration. I was 2 miles from home and made it in the driveway, will try to replicate the problem tomorrow.

So does this have something to do with my oil leak that the dealer says doesn't exist? I'm putting the car on the lift tomorrow to take pics of the leaks.

#15 ·
I experience this before. I'm 99% confident it's related to TSB 11-12-13 , leaking engine oil or transmission fluid onto the clutch assembly. Check for anything below the transmission housing, apparently sticky = transmission fluid, and you know what the oil looks like.

Unfortunately I'm apartment bound and I have no lift to search for leaks on mine. Do you know of any alternatives? (call a local shop and ask for an inspection/photos?)

#14 ·
Ok here are a couple pictures. Keep in mind that these pictures are after the dealer had the car for 3 business days and did a really good job of cleaning up the mess that was created before I took it in. There is only approx. 250 miles worth of oil leak in these pictures. Also the green tint appears to be the oil dye they put in, it is not Antifreeze.

Look closely at this last picture and you can see how well they cleaned, there is still some discoloration from the oil slick.

#17 ·
Got my car back from the dealership yesterday and I was told the oil leak was fixed and it was the valve cover gasket. I'll put the car on the lift in a week or so and make sure all is well.

On another note the dealership washed my car and mutilated my 2-way antenna on the hatch, I was not amused. They agreed to pay for damages.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.