Tak'in the Foci in for an Oil Leak and other probs. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace



Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
kc5rui
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97979
Location: Tulsa Area, OK
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SEL Hatch

Posts: 28
FF Reputation: 1 kc5rui Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Tak'in the Foci in for an Oil Leak and other probs.

After 18,000 miles it developed a pretty good oil leak. I removed the under panel and saw oil drips hanging from some bolt heads. Seems to be coming from around the exhaust manifold area, as it burns it can be smelled.

Also will have them check out a few other concerns such as the Drooping Mirror Syndrome, Front End Clunking, Headliner Rattles, etc....

I figure this will take a couple days to get fixed and wondering if anyone has had any luck getting a loaner from the dealer while repairs are being made.


:/EDIT|:
Pictures are on page 2 post #14



Last edited by kc5rui; 12-09-2012 at 01:45 PM.
kc5rui is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88299
Location: Torrance, CA
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Posts: 2,841
FF Reputation: 8 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc5rui View Post
After 18,000 miles it developed a pretty good oil leak. I removed the under panel and saw oil drips hanging from some bolt heads. Seems to be coming from around the exhaust manifold area, as it burns it can be smelled.
There is a TSB for that problem with your Focus.
Kabigon is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
dbenney
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Fan#: 1195
Location: Lansing, MI
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

Posts: 265
FF Reputation: 5 dbenney Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
you are looking at warranty work, there should be NO reason they shouldnt give you a loaner.
dbenney is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
kc5rui
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97979
Location: Tulsa Area, OK
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SEL Hatch

Posts: 28
FF Reputation: 1 kc5rui Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ok dropped the car off at the dealership this morning. The Service Advisor smelled the oil burning and saw leak. Told them to look at the front end and the drooping mirror also. After reading the horror story in another thread about a dealer trying to fix a rattle in the headliner I decided to fix that rattle myself.

They did give me a rental car, its a 2012 Ford Focus SE. He did say that they wouldnt get to it till December 3rd, so there wasnt much argument on the loaner as I live 60 miles away from the dealer and travel 50 miles daily to and from work.
kc5rui is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
kc5rui
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97979
Location: Tulsa Area, OK
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SEL Hatch

Posts: 28
FF Reputation: 1 kc5rui Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The service manager called me today and said it was from where they had spilled some oil on the last oil change. I called Bullshit on that and explained why it wasnt spillage from the last oil change... 4600 miles ago is when they changed the oil and 5 days ago is when I began to smell the oil burning and seeing drips on the bottom side.... He said they put some dye in it and didnt see it come out, I suggested they run it a little longer, he said he would call back Monday.

This is the point at which I get angry with Stealerships.
kc5rui is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88299
Location: Torrance, CA
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Posts: 2,841
FF Reputation: 8 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc5rui View Post
The service manager called me today and said it was from where they had spilled some oil on the last oil change. I called Bullshit on that and explained why it wasnt spillage from the last oil change... 4600 miles ago is when they changed the oil and 5 days ago is when I began to smell the oil burning and seeing drips on the bottom side.... He said they put some dye in it and didnt see it come out, I suggested they run it a little longer, he said he would call back Monday.

This is the point at which I get angry with Stealerships.
Tell them to check TSB 12-5-2.

"Some 2012 Focus 2.0L gasoline direct injection (GDI) engines may exhibit an oil leak at the rear upper exhaust manifold stud area."
Kabigon is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
kc5rui
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97979
Location: Tulsa Area, OK
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SEL Hatch

Posts: 28
FF Reputation: 1 kc5rui Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Tell them to check TSB 12-5-2.

"Some 2012 Focus 2.0L gasoline direct injection (GDI) engines may exhibit an oil leak at the rear upper exhaust manifold stud area."
Thanks Kabigon for the specifics on the TSB. When he calls back Monday ill tell him this.
kc5rui is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
PratoN
Focus Fanatic
 
PratoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88058
Location: Milwaukee, WI
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Posts: 3,703
FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I just noticed my February oil change invoice (25k miles ago) stated they found an oil leak and "Further investigation is required."

Shame on me for not reading it until now (since I'm making copies for the BBB...), but why didn't anyone bring it to my attention at the time and why hasn't anyone brought this to my attention since? I'm guessing it's the same oil leak on the top of the engine, I could never really tell if it was a leak or just dirty...
__________________
2012 FF Ti HB Kona Blue, Built 5/24/2011, 401A + Ti Handling Package, Parking Technology Package, Winter Package, Moonroof, and MFT w/NAV at v3.6 89k miles and counting...
PratoN is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #9
kc5rui
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97979
Location: Tulsa Area, OK
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SEL Hatch

Posts: 28
FF Reputation: 1 kc5rui Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The Service Manager called this afternoon and said they cant find an oil leak, the rear view mirror is as tight as it can get, and the clunking in the front end is the transmission clicking and shifting..... Also they forgot to do the oil change.... Now what do I do. I cant make the Dealership fix my car if they are just going to make excuses.... Is there an escalation process to get these types of things dealt with?
kc5rui is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
misfire
Moderator
 
misfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Fan#: 31379
Location: West Chester, PA
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2014 Mazda CX-5

Posts: 16,022
FF Reputation: 30 misfire Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc5rui View Post
The Service Manager called this afternoon and said they cant find an oil leak, the rear view mirror is as tight as it can get, and the clunking in the front end is the transmission clicking and shifting..... Also they forgot to do the oil change.... Now what do I do. I cant make the Dealership fix my car if they are just going to make excuses.... Is there an escalation process to get these types of things dealt with?
call 1-800-392-FORD and have your VIN ready
__________________
Will aka Misfire
2010/2011/2012/2013 Ford Master Certified Service Advisor
2003 LX "traded in"/2010 SES "traded in"/2012 SEL Hatch "current"
misfire is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.