Second gen 16mpg - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
klrfoucs
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89955
What I Drive: 08 Black SES Coupe Mtx

FF Reputation: 1 klrfoucs Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Second gen 16mpg

My car had progressively been gettin worse and worse mpg and idling rougher and rougher everything is clean tb maf did have a clogged cat but dealer replaced 107k miles

2dr Mtx SES#037
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
Mile30
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 74686
What I Drive: '03 ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 Mile30 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
·Have you had your trans serviced every 50k?
·Have you had an induction service performed?
·How does the tread on the tires look, uneven/cupped/etc?
·How old are your current plugs, wires, and coil?
·Have you planned to do the timing job yet?

There are a number of questions like these, all relating to maintenance schedules and the type of driving you're doing. The engine will build up carbon deposits (no matter how hard you try to prevent it), the fluids will lose their initial qualities, the bearing will wear... The car gets pretty slack after a number of years, and they can fall into a rut performance-wise if you never really fix it or beat on it. Like they get used to only being so efficient; the ECU can only fudge the numbers so long before they're out-of-range for the maps!

You can freshen it up by doing some much needed basic services. Just think how much the car was new: what percentage of that total would the engine and trans account for? Is it cheaper to let all that "go to seed" or just spend the money to keep it fresh?! Six of one, a half-dozen of another!
Old 12-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrfoucs View Post
My car had progressively been gettin worse and worse mpg and idling rougher and rougher everything is clean tb maf did have a clogged cat but dealer replaced 107k miles
Your at over 100K= Have you replaced the air filter assembly w/ aftermarket one or a oem one? Have you done the plugs? Fuel filter is in the tank so you can't do that. Have you had your injector's flushed= injecter service?
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 12-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
klrfoucs
Focus Enthusiast

My fuel filter isn't in the tank it is pzev and on that year it is located in front of the tank which i do every 10k a bit much yes but i like to maintain things oil changed every 3k with motorcraft full synthetic, acouple royal purple changes but went back to motorcraft has FSwerks intake and exhaust, at 40k i actually cleaned the lifetime filter by cutting it in half and cleaning the filters and bolting it back together.. brand new 104s i don't know if i should buy factory plugs and index them or not. i was thinking timing as well i do beat on her very often and im thinking the clogged cat probably didnt help as well.. did have to drive it for about 40miles home with it clogged... but it started doing it before that happened,changed mtx fluid at 60k i am also having an issue with second gear popping out while normal driving, railing it seems to not pop out... all mounts have been replaced.., i know one coil pack was replaced at 70k due to a plug backing out and destroying it..., pistons don't look awful. i just don't have the 700 for dealer to do chain and im a little nervous about doing it myself i'm very inclined in this field but my only car and a interference motor scare me... and i think that would be a good time to do cossie stage 1 cams.. which just adds more to that amount.. im thinking about just finding a motor with 30k or less on it and swaping it for about the same price...
2dr Mtx SES#037
Old 12-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
klrfoucs
Focus Enthusiast

no injector service.. im thinking about pulling them and cleaning or replacing to see if that helps.. i did notice the cat started clogging after using the 76 station near my house.. havent went back since.. and about tires... 4months ago started a new job with les schwab tire and manager talked me into putting wheels and tires on my account for it... so those are 2 weeks old, i do need shocks and struts but im going to hold out for frpp springs and struts.
2dr Mtx SES#037
Old 12-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrfoucs View Post
no injector service.. im thinking about pulling them and cleaning or replacing to see if that helps.. i did notice the cat started clogging after using the 76 station near my house.. havent went back since.. and about tires... 4months ago started a new job with les schwab tire and manager talked me into putting wheels and tires on my account for it... so those are 2 weeks old, i do need shocks and struts but im going to hold out for frpp springs and struts.
Injecter service= Doing a flush. A machine that runs injector cleaner thru the injectors seperate from your fuel system & it runs off the flush, not your fuel. It'd run for about 15 minutes or so. Induction cleaner is running a bottoll of intake cleaner thru a vacum line on your intake manifold.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131

Bookmarks & Social Networks