Did You Buy An EXTENDED WARRANTY For Your New Focus? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: did you buy an extended warranty?
Nope. Included warranty only. 73 47.10%
Yes. PowertrainCARE (29 key components covered). 1 0.65%
Yes. BaseCARE (84 key components covered). 1 0.65%
Yes. ExtraCARE (113 key components covered). 5 3.23%
Yes. PremiumCARE (500+ key components covered). 75 48.39%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #1
justy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85598
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Plat White HB!

FF Reputation: 1 justy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Did You Buy An EXTENDED WARRANTY For Your New Focus?

honestly...there are a TON of things that can go wrong in these highly computerized/gadget-filled Foci...did you get some sort of extended warranty for your new car? i'm on the fence!!!!

if you did...which plan and what duration did you get?

Old 08-09-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
entity
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 entity Good Standing Member
I declined the warranty at the time of sale because I knew I could get it cheaper online.

My plan is to purchase the warranty before the first year is up.

PremiumCARE / $50 deductable

It's a must for SEL/Titaniums with all the technology in these cars. Several have already had their APIM replaced under 1,000 miles.

I'm a sucker for piece of mind :P.

EDIT: The cheapest Ford ESP can be found here: [www.zeiglerfordesp.com]. They are a dealership chain based in MI. FYI, You don't need real information to get an online quote either.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
justy
Focus Enthusiast

the dealer told me that it would be more expensive to get it afterwards.....my focus is on order so i have time to figure it out. you can actually get it cheaper from somewhere else? i'd have thought it was standardized...

p.s. i'm in canada if that changes anything...wouldn't think it would since it's a US/Canada warranty.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #4
entity
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by justy View Post
the dealer told me that it would be more expensive to get it afterwards.....my focus is on order so i have time to figure it out. you can actually get it cheaper from somewhere else? i'd have thought it was standardized...

p.s. i'm in canada if that changes anything...wouldn't think it would since it's a US/Canada warranty.
Most dealers will tell you that. Your best bet is to get a quote and compare it to the online site I linked.

From the site:
Quote:
You don't need to pay full retail for factory-backed protection. Our internet sales model offers Ford Extended Service Plans (Ford ESP) at highly discounted pricing. This is the same plan that your local dealership may have offered you at a much higher price. These are real Ford Factory Extended Service Plans and are honored at all Ford, Lincoln and Mercury dealerships in the United States, Canada and Mexico.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:34 PM   #5
justy
Focus Enthusiast

it doesn't look like it's possible to get the warranty from those online sites when you live in canada.... :(
Old 08-09-2011, 11:05 PM   #6
Raistlin
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88696
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Grey Metallic 5-dr Ti

FF Reputation: 1 Raistlin Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by entity View Post
I declined the warranty at the time of sale because I knew I could get it cheaper online.

My plan is to purchase the warranty before the first year is up.

PremiumCARE / $50 deductable

It's a must for SEL/Titaniums with all the technology in these cars. Several have already had their APIM replaced under 1,000 miles.

I'm a sucker for piece of mind :P.

EDIT: The cheapest Ford ESP can be found here: [www.zeiglerfordesp.com]. They are a dealership chain based in MI. FYI, You don't need real information to get an online quote either.
I just ordered a Titanium tonight, so this definitely has some relevance to me. What exactly are you saying? Isn't that covered under the normal 3 year warranty? What sort of stuff isn't?

Also, do you know if Ford ESP is transferable? While I'm not typically one to go with extended warranties, the prices aren't that bad if they can be used in a resale.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #7
MGbox
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87878
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 MGbox Good Standing Member
Things can still go wrong after 3 years. That's why it's called an EXTENDED warranty.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #8
entity
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
I just ordered a Titanium tonight, so this definitely has some relevance to me. What exactly are you saying? Isn't that covered under the normal 3 year warranty? What sort of stuff isn't?

Also, do you know if Ford ESP is transferable? While I'm not typically one to go with extended warranties, the prices aren't that bad if they can be used in a resale.
The 3 year bumper-to-bumper certainly covers everything. Ford ESP is generally for people who keep their vehicle past payoff. As the failure rate increases every year after the factory warranty, it might be worthwhile for the piece of mind considering the car is tech heavy. And yes, they are transferable.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:43 PM   #9
Raistlin
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88696
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Grey Metallic 5-dr Ti

FF Reputation: 1 Raistlin Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by entity View Post
The 3 year bumper-to-bumper certainly covers everything. Ford ESP is generally for people who keep their vehicle past payoff. As the failure rate increases every year after the factory warranty, it might be worthwhile for the piece of mind considering the car is tech heavy. And yes, they are transferable.
I guess I was a bit confused because they seem to offer 3 year warranties and the like. The way the quote site is set up it asks for "From its original warranty start date, how long would you like coverage?" ... and you can select 3, etc. which obviously makes no sense if you have bumper-to-bumper.

That combined with me misinterpreting your intent regarding the electronics failing at 1000mi made me concerned. I assume the former is simply a situation where the website was designed poorly ... and the latter was you simply indicating the tech can generally be sensitive. If it can break at 1000mi, it could easily break at 36,001mi, etc.

Sorry ... I started a new job and haven't been getting enough sleep :p
Old 08-09-2011, 11:44 PM   #10
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
I'm on a 5-year loan, I'll be getting an ESP soon I believe, for the fact that I have MFT and all the automatic stuff like wipers and windows, back up assist sensors, and the powershift, never know what's gonna go wrong electronically, why chance it?

Bookmarks & Social Networks