Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Rocks Rattling Against Fuel / Brake Lines

6K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  kam327 
#1 ·
After 2 failed attempts at my dealer to solve my constant rattle in the passenger seat area at 50 mph and above, I finally got under there today and figured out what it was. 3-4 small rocks caught between the fuel and brake lines and the floor panel above. The rocks were in there just right that they would likely flutter around with sufficient wind speed under the car but could not fall out.

These lines are on the passenger side so it sounded like it was coming from under the passenger seat. Which technically it was.

Anyone with a constant 50 mph plus rattle in the passenger seat area should check this out.

See less See more
#3 ·
After 2 failed attempts at my dealer to solve my constant rattle in the passenger seat area at 50 mph and above, I finally got under there today and figured out what it was. 3-4 small rocks caught between the fuel and brake lines and the floor panel above. The rocks were in there just right that they would likely flutter around with sufficient wind speed under the car but could not fall out...
Thanks for the valuable tip, kam327! I'm sure some folks around here will appreciate it.

As always, if you have any questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to me via PM.

Thanks again!
Crystal

#6 ·
crystal... What begs the bigger question, imo, is why 'certified' ford technicians could not identify this rock problem for the customer. I am very lucky i have a good dealer to go to even tho it's an hour's drive for me. (my local 5 min away) dealer is totally incompetent and i would not buy nor have a car serviced by them.
Seems to me that by not identifying the op's problem, one as simple as loose rocks, that it doesn't say much good about the tech that examined the car for the noise... evidently he did not examine it closely enough and did not do his job. very disappointing, imo. In ref to both the op's experience and mine w/ my 'local' dealer, why does ford not more closely examine and monitor what goes on in its dealerships? It is, after, ford's name on the marquee and ford's reputation at risk. I'm just throwing this out to you as a ford rep here on FF.. I really don't expect a reply -- esp. one that satisfies -- as you shill for ford and need to keep your job.

#4 ·
Thanks for this. I'm adding it to my "check this" list for when I take the car into the dealer soon.

I've been battling similar rattles for 15K miles now (since I bought the car in Jan) and the dealer hasn't been able to solve 'em yet.

#5 ·
...and a long-delated update!

Took the car into the dealer today and they said they found 5 rocks, which they removed. It was pouring rain for much of the drive so I couldn't verify that all the rattles were gone but I'm crossing my fingers.

If that's the case, it only took 18K miles and 4-6 trips to the dealer to get a quiet ride! [shameful]

#10 ·
I had a rattle under my passenger seat as well, just got it resolved by my dealership

Turned out to be some loose compenents in the seat with the air bag

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.