What happens if you have no TPMS? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
SevanC
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 89503
What I Drive: 12 SE, 04 Miata, 99 VFR, 30 64C

FF Reputation: 1 SevanC Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What happens if you have no TPMS?

At some point, I'm going to buy snow tires on their own wheels. If I don't put TPMS on the new wheels, what will happen? Am I going to be annoyed by a warning every time I turn the car on?

After 28 years of driving, I think I have learned to spot/feel a flat tire on my own. Of course there's also the secondary indicator of a catastrophic tire failure: the guard rail you hit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
e350 coupe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84808
What I Drive: 2010 E-350 Coupe/2012 Titanium Htbk

FF Reputation: 5 e350 coupe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
For the first 3-4 days nothing will happen and you will think life is good, and you might even wonder if these sensors even worked, then somewhere between 3-4 days,

Every time you start the car the center display will display a fault message with your TPMS sensors, followed by buzzing and pinging sounds.

There will be an additional flat tire indicator in the speedo gauge flashing on and off for a couple of minutes then it will turn solid.

And finally there will be an error message between the fuel gauge and temp. gauge.

This will go on and on every time you restart the car.

I lasted about 20 minutes in a line up and I then pulled over and reset my sensors.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
DougC
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86547
What I Drive: The biggest mistake I've ever made.

FF Reputation: 1 DougC Good Standing Member
TPMS…. yet another useless cradle to the grave protective regulation compliments of the nanny state.

2012 Ingot Silver Focus SE 5spd w/ Sport and Winter pkgs.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
alex62390
BACON?

Fan#: 60434
What I Drive: 2004 svt focus EAP

FF Reputation: 22 alex62390 Great Standing Member
Can't it be disabled by the dealership? I work on SAAB's, when i install a snow tire package without sensors I can use the scan tool to deprogram the computer module from the car's network. Even though TPMS is required on all US cars, its not required in all countries and there might be a way to disable the system.
2004 svt focus EAP #658

Former Hatch Nation #08
Old 10-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
FlankerDFR
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90863
What I Drive: 2013 Blk ST2

FF Reputation: 1 FlankerDFR Good Standing Member
So it's not just me. My last ride drove me nuts over 22 months; with false warnings of impending tire pressure doom. Out of that entire period; I got one for real low pressure alert! For someone who looks at their tires daily, and gauge checks them every 3 days or so, and/or every time the temperature changes 10 F............TPMS is !

Update: Thanks for the disable tip Alex! Certainly worth checking into as I've got my eye on a nice set of Sport Edition rims at the Tire Rack for some hi po all seasons next year, and would like to dodge the nearly $200. bullet for TPMSs & a reset tool. You da man!
Old 10-19-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
LVSBB6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91020
What I Drive: 2011 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 LVSBB6 Good Standing Member
Can the car be programmed with two sets of TPMS? one for summer and one for winter wheels?
Old 10-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #7
SevanC
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 89503
What I Drive: 12 SE, 04 Miata, 99 VFR, 30 64C

FF Reputation: 1 SevanC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSBB6 View Post
Can the car be programmed with two sets of TPMS? one for summer and one for winter wheels?
My last car, a G8, allowed you to program them yourself. This was nice given the fact that people rotate tires. If we have to have this, it would be nice if we could at least do the programing. I think this is what we get when attorneys work in a R&D department.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #8
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by e350 coupe View Post
Every time you start the car the center display will display a fault message with your TPMS sensors, followed by buzzing and pinging sounds....There will be an additional flat tire indicator in the speedo gauge flashing on and off for a couple of minutes then it will turn solid... And finally there will be an error message between the fuel gauge and temp. gauge.

This will go on and on every time you restart the car.
Would you consider this unbearable? I'm debating whether or not I can justify spending the extra $200 on the sensors. It might be worth it and it saves me from having to get them mounted later.

Your thoughts?
Old 11-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #9
e350 coupe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84808
What I Drive: 2010 E-350 Coupe/2012 Titanium Htbk

FF Reputation: 5 e350 coupe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I lasted about 25 minutes in the Costco gas line up, afterwards in the pouring rain I pulled over and reset all the sensors. Yes I would consider this unbearable.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by e350 coupe View Post
I lasted about 25 minutes in the Costco gas line up, afterwards in the pouring rain I pulled over and reset all the sensors. Yes I would consider this unbearable.
It buzzed and pinged for 25 minutes!?

EDIT: OR was that just because you continued to start/stop your car when creeping in line?

EDIT^2: I've decided I'm going to save myself $245 and deal with it. (Assuming tire rack $42/sensor plus the $45 reset tool and for some reason extra shipping)

Last edited by PratoN; 11-01-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks