2012 hatch audio upgrade question ? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
Raceredrudy
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Fan#: 93061
Location: Jacksonville, FL
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SEL HATCH

Posts: 73
FF Reputation: 1 Raceredrudy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 hatch audio upgrade question ?

Hey guys (yes I have used "search" , and read a ton !!)

I'm trying to get help... I am trying to upgrade my audio ... I want 2 10" kickers in the back , and I guess upgrade the interior speakers (I have the 6 speaker package)

I'm trying to see the best way about going about this ... I live in Jax FL and I definetly can't install myself so does best buy offer good prices ? I am trying to find a ballpark range for what I'll need to spend ...

And any package recommendations ? The thing with speakers/audio is that there are so many options I am clueless , and I don't want to overspend . I think best buy does installs so I'm prob going to use them ... I don't really want to replace the head unit , just want 2 10's / box / amp / and whatever speakers I need inside.

Any help appreciated !!


Raceredrudy is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
suss6052
Focus Addict
 
suss6052's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95752
Location: ..., MI
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Posts: 12,815
Points 9,903, Level 66
Points: 9,903, Level: 66 Points: 9,903, Level: 66 Points: 9,903, Level: 66
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Miscategorized. This belongs in "MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus."

You're welcome.
__________________
Moderator for: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus
suss6052 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
MotorcityJAX
Sonic's MK3 Crew #14
 
MotorcityJAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Fan#: 90253
Location: Jacksonville, FL
What I Drive: 2012, White Platinum, 5 Door SEL

Posts: 2,026
FF Reputation: 6 MotorcityJAX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceredrudy View Post
Hey guys (yes I have used "search" , and read a ton !!)

I'm trying to get help... I am trying to upgrade my audio ... I want 2 10" kickers in the back , and I guess upgrade the interior speakers (I have the 6 speaker package)

I'm trying to see the best way about going about this ... I live in Jax FL and I definetly can't install myself so does best buy offer good prices ? I am trying to find a ballpark range for what I'll need to spend ...

And any package recommendations ? The thing with speakers/audio is that there are so many options I am clueless , and I don't want to overspend . I think best buy does installs so I'm prob going to use them ... I don't really want to replace the head unit , just want 2 10's / box / amp / and whatever speakers I need inside.

Any help appreciated !!
Whatever you do DO NOT GO TO the audio shops on Beach Blvd or Atlantic Blvd, I have had friends go to them in the past and they did piss poor hack jobs, and the guys were drinking and smoking weed while working on his car. I have no problem what people do in their free time, just don't do it while working for a client. Anyway, I have had stuff installed at Best Buy at the St johns Towncenter before when I had my mustang and they did a good job, I would personally like to do all my own work, but I don't always have time. Best buy would suffice. If you want to do a package, do not buy cheap speakers and amps and wiring kits, save to get better items, trust me it will pay off in the end. Myself I have Boston components in the doors and a Focal 4 channel running them, what I want to do is put in a JL W6 or W7 for the sub with a custom encloser and a nice Focal amp to power it. You could always go Alpine Type R's, JL's, Rockford, infinity for Your choices for subs and or components, and pick up a nice wiring kit to hook it all up.
__________________
2012 SEL 5 door, "Project Stormtrooper"
Hatch Nation #169
Sonic Crew #14 Metal Tails
Rally Rev #16
MotorcityJAX is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
Raceredrudy
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Fan#: 93061
Location: Jacksonville, FL
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SEL HATCH

Posts: 73
FF Reputation: 1 Raceredrudy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcityJAX View Post
Whatever you do DO NOT GO TO the audio shops on Beach Blvd or Atlantic Blvd, I have had friends go to them in the past and they did piss poor hack jobs, and the guys were drinking and smoking weed while working on his car. I have no problem what people do in their free time, just don't do it while working for a client. Anyway, I have had stuff installed at Best Buy at the St johns Towncenter before when I had my mustang and they did a good job, I would personally like to do all my own work, but I don't always have time. Best buy would suffice. If you want to do a package, do not buy cheap speakers and amps and wiring kits, save to get better items, trust me it will pay off in the end. Myself I have Boston components in the doors and a Focal 4 channel running them, what I want to do is put in a JL W6 or W7 for the sub with a custom encloser and a nice Focal amp to power it. You could always go Alpine Type R's, JL's, Rockford, infinity for Your choices for subs and or components, and pick up a nice wiring kit to hook it all up.
Thanks man , the thing is -- I only know I want two kicker 10" subs , I am clueless on amps/and the indoor speakers :(
Raceredrudy is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
Raceredrudy
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Fan#: 93061
Location: Jacksonville, FL
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SEL HATCH

Posts: 73
FF Reputation: 1 Raceredrudy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceredrudy View Post
Thanks man , the thing is -- I only know I want two kicker 10" subs , I am clueless on amps/and the indoor speakers :(
And price wise I am also clueless , I know I need a box with the subs , no idea about amps/indoor speakers :(

Any websites that can help me find a package that I can take to best buy ? I go to town center all the time !
Raceredrudy is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
MotorcityJAX
Sonic's MK3 Crew #14
 
MotorcityJAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Fan#: 90253
Location: Jacksonville, FL
What I Drive: 2012, White Platinum, 5 Door SEL

Posts: 2,026
FF Reputation: 6 MotorcityJAX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceredrudy View Post
And price wise I am also clueless , I know I need a box with the subs , no idea about amps/indoor speakers :(

Any websites that can help me find a package that I can take to best buy ? I go to town center all the time !
Crutchfield.com has A ton of info about speakers, subs, amps, wiring, and pretty much anything mobile audio related, check them out. Also, welcome to FF, a lot of us are starting to show up in Duval, we should all get together some night and meetup
__________________
2012 SEL 5 door, "Project Stormtrooper"
Hatch Nation #169
Sonic Crew #14 Metal Tails
Rally Rev #16
MotorcityJAX is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
Aychdot
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 95866
Location: St. Louis, MO
What I Drive: Then 1995 Escort, Now 2012 Ti hatch

Posts: 59
Points 165, Level 3
Points: 165, Level: 3 Points: 165, Level: 3 Points: 165, Level: 3
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Aychdot Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The biggest thing you need to do is listen to them before you buy them. There are great brands out there but they sound different. You may like the sound of a Boston Acoustics over a JL, and they may be the same price.
Aychdot is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 12:14 AM   #8
Bogey
Focus Enthusiast
 
Bogey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Fan#: 104241
Location: Calgary, Canada
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver SE

Posts: 531
Points 1,672, Level 23
Points: 1,672, Level: 23 Points: 1,672, Level: 23 Points: 1,672, Level: 23
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Bogey Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I had a Alpine mrp-m500 mono 500watts and a 12" kicker comp and love it... I just sold it... But would definitely go back to kicker, good base range and vibrated the screws out of its box so I had too drill them in diagonally to keep it in.
Bogey is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
roswelltop
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Fan#: 83279
Location: Roswell, GA
What I Drive: 2014 Ruby Red Titanium Hatch

Posts: 542
Points 1,610, Level 23
Points: 1,610, Level: 23 Points: 1,610, Level: 23 Points: 1,610, Level: 23
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 1 roswelltop Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I just upgraded my 6 speaker system in my 2013 hatch. Everything from Crutchfield and installed by Geek Squad. Crutch is great, and evey week there is a new sale if you are on it's email list.

I didn't want to spend a fortune...chose Sound Ordinance (Crutch's house label) for 6.1/2 components, 6" coax Sound O in the rear, SO amp at 50 watt per 4 ch and SO 8" powered sub (fits under driver seat).

Spent about $500 on equip and $400 installation. Maybe you could find cheaper install, but I've previously dealt with this same Geeks, and totally satisfied.

If you favor the more "name" brands (Alpine, Infinity, Kicker) Crutch carries all, and I think the value that Crutch adds to the equation is unsurpassed.
roswelltop is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
afinley
Focus Rookie
 
afinley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fan#: 100856
Location: Raleigh, NC
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Grey Titanium Hatch

Posts: 19
FF Reputation: 1 afinley Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Price wise

1. Don't stay married to the idea of two 10"s. It is a cheap way to go, but for instance, one 10" could be louder than two cheap 10"s, and take up less room.

2. Just upgrade your front components, and get subs. You don't really hear the rear speakers except for fill, so spending $100 on upgrading them isn't smart money.

3. Unless you're also planning on getting an amp for your front speakers, don't spend a bunch of money on them. They will only be as loud as they currently are, maybe a little clearer.

Personally, I say you should get:

6.5 components for the front:
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...stics_S60.aspx
A dual 2ohm sub:
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...SWR-1023D.aspx
and a decent four channel amp:
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...APPA_FOUR.aspx

You would use two channels for your front speakers, and two channels bridged into the sub in series. This gets you a summed channel at 4ohms, with 300w, and two powerful front channels.

In the future, if you want more, you get a second, mono, amplifier and a matching sub. Then you run the four voice coils in series/parallel for a total of 2ohms. You would then use the extra channels on your 4 channel amp to either bridge for your front speakers, or amp your rear speakers.

That would be $510, plus you need wiring for the amp, and a box for the sub. Expect to pay about $650 for everything, and I have no idea how much it costs to have stuff installed, because I just do it myself.
afinley is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Audi S3, Ford Fusion and Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area. Challenger Hellcat - Charger Hellcat