Driver-Side Seat Feels A Little Loose?? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
katkrazy2007
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105248
What I Drive: 2008 Ebony Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 katkrazy2007 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Cool Driver-Side Seat Feels A Little Loose??

I have a 2008 SES, and my driver-sided seat feels a little loose when I'm driving. When I first sit down, I can feel it slightly move and when I'm sitting and I move back and forth a little, it'll move then as well. Could it be just a loose screw or bolt or something that I can get down there and tighten up? Thanks for tips in advance (:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
Minchkin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92792
What I Drive: 2009 Black SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 3 Minchkin Good Standing Member
There is a hole that a bolt goes through. It seems as thought the hole expands and the seat feels like it is rocking. It is kindof a PITA.
SES #032
Old 11-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,107, Level 34
Points: 3,107, Level: 34 Points: 3,107, Level: 34 Points: 3,107, Level: 34
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by katkrazy2007 View Post
I have a 2008 SES, and my driver-sided seat feels a little loose when I'm driving. When I first sit down, I can feel it slightly move and when I'm sitting and I move back and forth a little, it'll move then as well. Could it be just a loose screw or bolt or something that I can get down there and tighten up? Thanks for tips in advance (:
Hi katkrazy2007,

You can check out the bolt that Minchkin mentions below and see if you can tighten it. The next time you have an oil change or other service appointment, have your Service Tech take a look. If you have any other questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minchkin View Post
There is a hole that a bolt goes through. It seems as thought the hole expands and the seat feels like it is rocking. It is kindof a PITA.
Thanks for chiming in, Minchkin. This will give katkrazy2007 a good starting place.

Have a great day!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 11-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
katkrazy2007
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105248
What I Drive: 2008 Ebony Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 katkrazy2007 Good Standing Member
Quote:
I am going to take a look at it soon. Its not a huge deal, but I would like it tightened up.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
Also-ran
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100107
What I Drive: 2010 Black Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 Also-ran Good Standing Member
Mine suddenly started doing this about a month ago. To add to what Minchkin posted, no amount of bolt tightening helped me because my seat looseness also appears to be caused by this light yellow plastic insert the seat bolt passes through (it's part of the seat height adjustment mechanism). Very annoying to be reminded about it every time I stop or start.
-come to a stoplight- seat blips forward. -light turns green- seat blips backwards.

There was a thread recently about this issue and several people posted that they also have this problem. It makes me wonder if it is systemic to our generation of Focus. I also worry about what impact it has on the safety of the driver if they were in a wreck.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
Minchkin
Focus Enthusiast

Yeah, I started that thread a while back. I took a few pictures too. Honestly, I don't think it is much of a safety issue, more of a comfort issue. It just seems that the grommet has finally worn through. I am assuming that you just have to replace the grommet. Problem with that is that I don't know the part number, or if there is one at all.
SES #032
Old 11-26-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

Points 3,791, Level 38
Points: 3,791, Level: 38 Points: 3,791, Level: 38 Points: 3,791, Level: 38
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Mine does it, but I just raise the seat and lower it. Seems to be a temporary solution.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #8
soundFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97713
What I Drive: 2011 Sangria Red SES

Points 451, Level 9
Points: 451, Level: 9 Points: 451, Level: 9 Points: 451, Level: 9
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 soundFocus Good Standing Member
Can this be related to having the back of the seat rattling? Since it's gotten cold, the last two weeks my passenger side seat has an obnoxious habit of rattling at idle when no one is in it. Putting my hand on the back makes it go away. Gets better when I recline the back less. Related issue or something different?
Old 11-27-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,107, Level 34
Points: 3,107, Level: 34 Points: 3,107, Level: 34 Points: 3,107, Level: 34
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Also-ran View Post
Mine suddenly started doing this about a month ago. To add to what Minchkin posted, no amount of bolt tightening helped me because my seat looseness also appears to be caused by this light yellow plastic insert the seat bolt passes through (it's part of the seat height adjustment mechanism). Very annoying to be reminded about it every time I stop or start.
-come to a stoplight- seat blips forward. -light turns green- seat blips backwards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
Mine does it, but I just raise the seat and lower it. Seems to be a temporary solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundFocus View Post
Can this be related to having the back of the seat rattling? Since it's gotten cold, the last two weeks my passenger side seat has an obnoxious habit of rattling at idle when no one is in it. Putting my hand on the back makes it go away. Gets better when I recline the back less...
Hey folks,

If you're not having any luck identifying the source of the looseness or rattle, having your dealer check it out is always a good option.

Quote:
...It just seems that the grommet has finally worn through. I am assuming that you just have to replace the grommet. Problem with that is that I don't know the part number, or if there is one at all.
Hi Minchkin,

I just did a quick run-through of the parts website and couldn't find this specific grommet. You may want to contact the parts department of your local dealership; at the very least they could provide you with the correct part number.

As always, if anyone has any additional questions or concerns, feel free to send a PM in my direction.

Thanks,
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 12-05-2012, 01:05 AM   #10
Minchkin
Focus Enthusiast

Yeah, and see, that's the thing Crystal, I don't know if there is a grommet at all. It just seems as though the hole that the bolt goes through has been stretched, causing the play in the connection, and thus, the slight rocking. Outside of completely dismantling the thing and truly finding out what the play is from, that joint is the only thing we have to go on.
SES #032

Bookmarks & Social Networks