Poor mileage? Possible solution - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
Darth_Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104539
What I Drive: 2012,Tuxedo Black, Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Darth_Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Poor mileage? Possible solution

2012 DCT Ti with suspension package. 4800 kilometers. So after my last tank at 14 litres per 100 KM's, or late 80's 5.7 Litre mileage, I decided to do some troubleshooting on my own accord because:

1: I wasn't going to pay Ford $100 for a "No fault found report"

2: I did not care to here the "Driving style affects mileage" speech.

Clearly there is something amiss with mileage like that, regardless of how the car is driven. Anyway, I took the intake boot off and cleaned the MAF sensor with isoproyl alcohol. Just sprayed the pure stuff right at the sensor without touching it with fingers or brushes, let it dry off and reassembled.

I've only driven it about 30 kilometers so this by no means is conclusive, but for the first time since I bought the car the L/100 indication has gone the other way. Usually my easy 12 kilometer drive to work will see the L/100 climb 1.5 to 2 full points by the time I'm at work. After the cleaning it went from a steady 7.9 (a feat in itself) to 7.8. That 30 kilometer drive would normally and consistently go from a 7 to 9+.

I do however have 91 octane in it for the first time, but drove it with that fuel yesterday and could not get below 7.8 on an 80 kilometer highway run with the cruise at 110. As soon as I pulled off the highway it started climbing. I also put on the 16" winter tires and felt very little weight difference between sets. Having said that, If wheel weight is that much of an issue then we better not put people in the car either. There is no way rims are going to account for a 7 litre per 100 difference. I'll see what happens this tank and report back.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Actually the wheel weight makes a much larger difference per lb than a lb of weight placed inside the body of the car due to the greater mass moment of inertia and the greater effect of the unsprung weight on the car.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
Darth_Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Actually the wheel weight makes a much larger difference per lb than a lb of weight placed inside the body of the car due to the greater mass moment of inertia and the greater effect of the unsprung weight on the car.
But there is no way that should account for consistent mileage of just barely 300 kilometers to a tank of gas. I can see that at most costing a few kilometers off of a full tank. And once it's moving at a steady rate such as on a highway it should make almost no difference at all.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
Black stick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100103
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo black, manual

FF Reputation: 1 Black stick Good Standing Member
I have a manual SE and live in SW Ontario. At 110 over 90k I wold be at 6.2 or so
Old 12-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
Darth_Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Just an update: This past tank since the first post has gone 546 kilometers at 7.6 L/100. That includes about 200 kilometers highway with the average mileage never getting above 8.2 during city driving. Thats amazing. My last tank got me 298 kilometers. There is no way this massive increase was due to tires or 91 octane fuel. My previous best tank was just over 400 kilometers. Something drastic has changed since spraying that MAF sensor
Old 12-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 11 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Focus View Post
Something drastic has changed since spraying that MAF sensor
A friend of mine recently did this on his Silverado whatever trim with the V8 and he keep telling me, "Dude, you gotta do this!!!"
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 12-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
Darth_Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaDnB View Post
A friend of mine recently did this on his Silverado whatever trim with the V8 and he keep telling me, "Dude, you gotta do this!!!"
It is probably the single most important sensor on the car regarding engine operation. Perhaps there was a film of some type on the sensor element, I don't know. My car is a July 2012 build, not sure when all the other bad mileage ones were built. I'm back down to 87 octane Shell. I'll see how this batch goes. There is an actual purpose built spray to clean that sensor. Carb and intake cleaner spray also work. If any one of you are going to try this, do not touch the element at all with anything. Just spray it. Let it air dry. No compressed air. Extremely fragile instrument.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #8
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
May look into this, I've never seen even close to the advertised numbers my car should be getting. June 2011 build.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 12-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #9
Darth_Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
May look into this, I've never seen even close to the advertised numbers my car should be getting. June 2011 build.
Just pop off the intake tube on the engine side of the maf and you should see the element. Give it a spray and see what happens. Results would be instant. There is also a product called seafoam that is fantastic. Liquid version for the gas tank, and spray for the intake and items like MAF.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #10
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Yeah I've seafoamed older cars intake systems haha, LOTS of white smoke, always a fun time.
Sonic Crew #28

Bookmarks & Social Networks