Life Expectancy (Miles) of the Ford Focus? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-18-2012, 05:59 AM   #11
fresh1dougie
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21165
What I Drive: 2005 Sangria Red ZX3 SES Auto 2.0

FF Reputation: 1 fresh1dougie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
122,000 '05 ZX3 Amsoil from the start. All original parts with the exception of front brakes. Battery still servicable. Living in Detroit area very hard on suspension-great car very good experience so far!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 02:00 AM   #12
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
160K on two ATX zetecs, Walmart straight 30 weight and 7500 mile changes. Both run well and use no oil. Can't kill 'em.

I remember the days when a 2 liter was dead at 100K, motor couldn't hardly move car, think Pinto. For all the added complexity these are definitely better built cars. Even the bodies seem to hold up longer.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:15 AM   #13
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95211
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlouis1 View Post
My daughter in Maine has a 2005 Focus with 240,000 miles on it. Eats tires though. But no major mechanical work.
Cars with high miles eat tires when rubber suspension control arm pivot bushings tear and/or wear out from age and ozone rot. This causes the control arms to flop around and wheel alignment is totally lost. This makes for noise, poor handling and tires wear out fast.

You can replace the whole control arm with bushing already installed for about $125 each, or you can get real thrifty on some cars and replace the $20 bushings themselves using a hydraulic press. This is a problem on everything from a base Honda to a $150K mercedes. Bushings need replaced about every 100K mi on average. The front suspension bushings in my BMW need replaced about every 60K mi and the rear goes bad every 100K or so. Throwing new tires on the car every 20K mi to get chewed up is just plain nuts. This costs FAR more than a proper repair. Cars with bad bushings handle verey bad plus they shake and make a lot of noise when hitting bumps.

Replace the control arms on your daughters car instead of buying $400 worth of tires every 6 mo.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #14
PLRX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 16768
What I Drive: 2003 - ZX5 - 5 Spd - 2.3 Duratec

FF Reputation: 1 PLRX Good Standing Member
Mine got 224,00 miles and I'm finishing my second clutch. These have been hardcore miles. I've never babied this car.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #15
kwolo302
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103880
What I Drive: 2002 black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 kwolo302 Good Standing Member
2002 zx3 with 204,000. bought it from my father at 112,000 with no major repairs done by him. the clutch was replaced 30,000 miles ago. both cv axles replaced 1,000 miles ago. all wheel bearings replaced within the last 3 months. Shift cable end replaced 1 week ago along with another slave cylinder. I'd say those were the major repairs. Minor ones being, thermostat and thermostat housing, a couple different coolant hoses, O2 sensor lower, haven't done the upper yet but it needs to be done and as of right now I need to more than likely replace the alternator and/or battery. Kept up on regular maintenance and the engine runs great. If you can do your own work do it and repairing the car will make keeping it worth it.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #16
Edgenet
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106043
What I Drive: 2002 Wagon with Zetec, Auto

FF Reputation: 1 Edgenet Good Standing Member
This is like asking how long do people live???

I find if you follow basic maintenance any car will give you trouble free service for at least 10 years. If you decide to spend some cash on suspension components you could stretch that to 15 years.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #17
jburkey28
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105295
What I Drive: 2009 Cobalt SS/TC

FF Reputation: 1 jburkey28 Good Standing Member
As long as you keep up on your maintenance, you should reach 200k.
Definitely do the timing belt between 125-150 though.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:38 AM   #18
doubles
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106022
What I Drive: 2008 ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 doubles Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
as with any car or truck do maint as recomended and fix the things that need fixing and the car can last you a lifetime. i to this day still have a 95 chevy dually sitting out back i dont use it mush other than pulling my camper it has the 454 engine with just minor repairs tune up and oil changes i have never done any real big maint on it as i have no trouble with it. it has over 400k on it and still runs and drives great and would not hesitate to jump in it and drive around the US with it. other than gas prices as of now lol
Old 11-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #19
jburkey28
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105295
What I Drive: 2009 Cobalt SS/TC

FF Reputation: 1 jburkey28 Good Standing Member
Agreed. I've got a 98 Chevy C1500 with with the 350 in it, still runs strong. I think it just pushed over 225k of HARD miles.
My buddy uses it as his DD while his truck is in the shop, and I drive it in the winter.. Gotta keep my SS out of the snow :)

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->