Shockingly low mpg numbers reported for 2013 Focus - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #31
dwightm
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106350
What I Drive: 2013 Focus S Sedan Tuxedo Black

FF Reputation: 1 dwightm Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quick update - Just filled up the 2013 S for the first time, drove 2 miles to the nearest highway, then ran 5 miles at 65mph in 5th gear. Average fuel mileage read 36.2 at the 7-mile mark. SWEET.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #32
miuzi05
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106045
What I Drive: 2013 Race Red SE Sedan 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 miuzi05 Good Standing Member
I filled up yesterday, and then drove a 400km round trip. Despite a lengthy highway traffic jam (stop and go, took about 30 minutes to travel 2 km or so), most of the trip was between 80 and 110km/h in 5th, with occasional slowdowns when passing through residential areas, leaving me with an average for the day of 6.3L/100km, or around 37-38mpg. I wasn't driving with maximum efficiency in mind, either. Call me satisfied. I think with smooth and trouble-free highway driving, I could break 40mpg easily.

Last edited by miuzi05; 11-18-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Innaccurate word choice. I'm a stickler for revision.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #33
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by frinesi2 View Post
I live in constant fear of misguided scientists extracting velociraptor DNA out of dino juice so I make it a point to burn up as much as I can so they can't get to it and take over the world.

That is the reason for my low MPG rating.
Don't quit your day job for comedy just yet. Oh, and oil does not come from dinosaurs, sorry.

Quote:
The notion that petroleum or crude oil comes from dinosaurs is fiction. Surprised? Oil formed from the remains of marine plants and animals that lived millions of years ago, even before the dinosaurs. The tiny organisms fell to the bottom of the sea. Bacterial decomposition of the plants and animals removed most of the oxygen, nitrogen, phosphorus and sulfur from the matter, leaving behind a sludge made up mainly of carbon and hydrogen. As the oxygen was removed from the detritus, decomposition slowed. Over time the remains became covered by layers upon layers of sand and silt. As the depth of the sediment reached or exceeded 10,000 feet, pressure and heat changed the remaining compounds into the hydrocarbons and other organic compounds that form crude oil and natural gas.

The type of petroleum formed by the plankton layer depended largely on how much pressure and heat were applied. Low temperatures (caused by lower pressure) resulted in a thick material, such as asphalt. Higher temperatures produced a lighter petroleum. Ongoing heat could produce gas, though if the temperature exceeded 500F, the organic matter was destroyed and neither oil nor gas was produced. http://chemistry.about.com/b/2012/05...or-fiction.htm
Old 11-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #34
clogan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93793
What I Drive: 2008 Roushcharged F-150 Screw,

FF Reputation: 1 clogan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightm View Post
Quick update - Just filled up the 2013 S for the first time, drove 2 miles to the nearest highway, then ran 5 miles at 65mph in 5th gear. Average fuel mileage read 36.2 at the 7-mile mark. SWEET.
Don't put too much faith in the MPG read out on the dash...they are notoriously inaccurate in many cases. On my Focus, the dash-indicated MPG is typically much greater than actual MPG (as computed via miles driven since last fill, divided by volume of gas required to fill). In some cases, dash-indicated MPG is less than actual; but in most cases, it is greater than actual. Much greater. The dash-indicated MPG reading should be used for purely amusement purposes only. If the speedometer was as inaccurate, we would all be getting tickets!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #35
frinesi2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95914
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 frinesi2 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus YBTC View Post
Don't quit your day job for comedy just yet. Oh, and oil does not come from dinosaurs, sorry.
True but "dino juice" has a much nicer ring to it than "prehistoric phytoplankton juice", don't you think?
Old 11-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #36
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by frinesi2 View Post
True but "dino juice" has a much nicer ring to it than "prehistoric phytoplankton juice", don't you think?

Yes I think so but are you still worried about scientists reanimating prehistoric phytoplankton DNA?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #37
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hey folks,

Just a reminder that if you're concerned about the fuel economy of your vehicle, you can always take your Focus to the dealership so they can take a look. Also keep in mind that winter fuel blends usually translate to lower fuel economy in your car.

You can also check out Ford's tips for improving your vehicle's fuel efficiency here: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...=1239636411265

Let me know if you have any questions!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 04-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #38
NewFocusOwner5
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106362
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 NewFocusOwner5 Good Standing Member
Poor gas mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdetzel View Post
Give it some time. These transmissions can exhibit some pretty weird behavior, mine did. That should clear up and the fuel mileage will come up. I do all city driving and when it was new I have gotten as low as 19mpg. I am at 4,500 miles now and my last tank was 26.4mpg. It seems like it has way more power than it did and I wind up giving less throttle to get the job done.
My car now has 12000 miles on it and my driving still consists of about 90% highway. I average 29mpg which is not even close to the 38mpg advertised on the window sticker. 29 is what I would expect from city driving. The best I was ever able to get was 32mpg and that was a long road trip with cruise control set at 65-70mph.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #39
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFocusOwner5 View Post
My car now has 12000 miles on it and my driving still consists of about 90% highway. I average 29mpg which is not even close to the 38mpg advertised on the window sticker. 29 is what I would expect from city driving. The best I was ever able to get was 32mpg and that was a long road trip with cruise control set at 65-70mph.
My best tank has been ~34. I do a lot of mixed driving and those tanks usually average 28-29, but that 34mpg tank was all highway. I'm not disappointed per se, but I expected better.

Oh well. Hopefully I'll be getting an ST in the next few months... then I'll definitely be seeing low mpgs... lol
Sonic Crew #28
Old 04-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #40
jyax82
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 72426
What I Drive: 2013 Race Red SE HB, 5spd of course

FF Reputation: 1 jyax82 Good Standing Member
Take a look at this: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml
This chart shows the tests that the EPA uses to determine the rating for cars. If you notice the highway portion of the test the average speed is only 48 mph with a top speed of 60 mph. We all know that the faster you drive the resistance created by the air increases exponentially, not in a linear fashion. Those ratings are only to give a point of reference from one car to another for comparison, not to tell you what you will get from your car the way YOU drive it. Personally I have a 2013 SE manual, and I get around 30-31 driving at 75 mph. Here in Michigan. It makes me wonder where people live that they get MPG ratings in the upper 30's to near 40, if they are living in places that have much lower speed limits than the 70 here. Like they say "Your Mileage May Vary"

Bookmarks & Social Networks