Shockingly low mpg numbers reported for 2013 Focus - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #11
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

Points 1,664, Level 23
Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have 700 mi on my 2013. I am averaging 30 mpg in mixed driving.

Sent from my Obamaphone using FF Mobile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #12
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobhall View Post
I see that 27 owners of the 2013 Ford Focus have reported an average of 28.6 mpg (!) on the Fuelly website. That borders on scandalous for a car touted by Ford for it's good gas mileage.
It is just a couple mpg's behind the 2012's, I am sure with more stats they will soon be similar.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2012

I just looked at the charts, there isn't even enough data to form any good averages yet, and I also noticed upon a quick perusal that several of the 2013's are ST's which will have lower mpg's.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2013

I just sent Fuelly an email suggesting a different filter or engine class for the ST's so as not to skew the data. We will see what happens.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
ralck
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96372
What I Drive: My sister's car while it is salty

FF Reputation: 1 ralck Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I have a full 100 miles (yes, one hundred) on my 2013. And with incorporating the idle time at the plant and dealership to prep the car (I didn't reset the MPG when I took delivery), winter gas blend, and the fact that I've only driven city, I'm shocked that I am only getting 24 MPG!

In all seriousness, I wouldn't be too worried about the 2013 fuel economy right now. Many people are still within the break-in period, winter gas, colder temps, etc. Around this time next year I think you would see the average 2013 MPG up a good big higher, probably very in line with the 2012 MPG.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #14
jdetzel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102548
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatchback

Points 166, Level 3
Points: 166, Level: 3 Points: 166, Level: 3 Points: 166, Level: 3
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 jdetzel Good Standing Member
here it is avg 26 city, 35 hwy. shocking! scandaolus! not getting at least 42mpg must be an idiot! or at least drive like one! really?
Old 11-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #15
Kaaru
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96763
What I Drive: '12 Oxford Wh. SEL Sedan 28/07/2011

FF Reputation: 1 Kaaru Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by miuzi05 View Post
I've got a 2013 with almost 2000km on it now, and I've been watching my mileage with keen interest. Since I'm in Canada, my car displays L/100km, instead of mpg. My commute to work is through the city, and even though I drive it gently, I still see only around 8L/100km, which works out to a little below 30mpg. If I take a decent drive on a highway, though, the average quickly improves, falling below 7L/100km. I reset the average every time I fuel up, and the best I've seen the average fall to is 6.6 L/100km, or about 35 mpg. That's still mixed driving though. Today, I'm going to be doing a long trip that is almost purely highway, and I'm going to brim it before I depart, so I'm eager to see what I can get.
I was able to do 5.2L/100 Km @ 112 Kph using cruise control on a 2 hour flat strech of highway (Montreal/Quebec). 2 adults, some luggage with A/C 'cause it was during summer. Also, my car gets 8.2L/100Km for my daily commute. It's been like this for months. I had a SE 2013 Flex fuel loaner with 3800 Km on it and used it for 2 days to use it to get to work. I got 8.2L/100Km out of it. Same numbers, same usage. The only difference is the flex fuel option the loaner had that I dont have on my car. But then again, the Flex Fuel thing does not much help when stuck in traffic as it is, I beleive, an aero dynamical thing only.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #16
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaaru View Post
But then again, the Flex Fuel thing does not much help when stuck in traffic as it is, I beleive, an aero dynamical thing only.
Flex fuel cars have the ability to run on E-85 whereas non flex fuel cars can't. Nothing to do with aerodynamics.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #17
Kaaru
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96763
What I Drive: '12 Oxford Wh. SEL Sedan 28/07/2011

FF Reputation: 1 Kaaru Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZfocus2012 View Post
Flex fuel cars have the ability to run on E-85 whereas non flex fuel cars can't. Nothing to do with aerodynamics.
You are correct, I forgot the main ''meat'' of the package, it does take on E-85, but the Ford site also states that the Flex Fuel cars are equiped with low resistance tires, fully covering hub caps and a spoiler. I think those can be placed into the aero dynamical section of the flex fuel package. I agree tho, that the main appeal of this package would be the ability to use E-85...if available. I am not saying it's not avalable around here, I'm just saying that I acheived the same numbers with the same reg fuel on the same roads conditions, on the same comute and driving the same way.

I never had a FF car before, that may be the reason I am not fully aware of the E-85 availability. I mean, it must be available, 'cause why sell Flex Fuel car around here then ??

Last edited by Kaaru; 11-17-2012 at 11:34 AM. Reason: typos
Old 11-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #18
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

I thought the aero hubcaps and LRR tires were part of the SFE package not necessarily flex fuel related? There are only a couple of places I have seen here in Mesa, AZ population 500,000 that sell E-85. There could be more, I just haven't noticed them.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #19
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 13,837, Level 76
Points: 13,837, Level: 76 Points: 13,837, Level: 76 Points: 13,837, Level: 76
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 16%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%
FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
It all is how many stop lights, and driving stop and go. vs never having to stop.
100%

If you reset your in dash mpg you can see the mpgs drop every stop light,and every time you have to reaccelerate. simple physics.
It take a lot of enegy to accelerate. having to do it over and over every few minute eats up an amazing amount of gas.
So does sitting idling. but not nearly as much as accelerating.
So say you have a city commute of three miles at 35 to 40mph with only one stop. Your mpg over that distance will be in the 38mpg range. The same distance at rush hour, with a stoplight every other block..Your mpg will be in the low 20's at best.
Same car. and person.
THAT is the only difference.
Yeah mashing the pedal makes it worse, but the real problem is the stopping and accelerating over and over.
Ther is no conspiracy, no magic involved. Just stopping and accelerating. is the problem.

I would also say that most cars I had driven this issue was never so clear as it is in the 3rd gen Focus.
Probably has to do with the high mpg which CAN be gained, vs the usual mpgs.. and the way the engine is designed etc.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #20
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fuelly's response to my suggestion..

My suggestion: Under 2013 Ford Focus, you should add a filter, or engine class for the ST since it is a high performance turbocharged version that is rated at a lower MPG than the other trim levels for 2013. Right now the ST's are mixed in with others, skewing the data. Just a thought.

Fuelly's response: Thanks for the suggestion. We don't track vehicles past the model level and that's a blanket rule across all vehicles. There are
instances like this where it might be nice to track trim levels, but
with our small staff we need to have rules to keep things manageable.
Many people include details like this in the vehicle name. So
sometimes you can spot differences that way.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.