Electrical Issues - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
blakeclevenger
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105886
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus XZ5 DOHC Ztech 120k

FF Reputation: 1 blakeclevenger Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Electrical Issues

My 2002 ZX5 has had some electrical issues for a while. Now they are starting to mount up and its time I fix it.

1. Year ago, the radio started getting bad reception on FM. I don't listen to this much, so I don't really car.

2. The lights are crazy dim. Yes I have replaced the bulbs and cleaned the lenses but it doesnt seem to make a difference. I also changed the dimmer switch and looked for a ground problem. May be I am missing one of the grounds, but I cant see an issue here. I live in the city so the street lights help a bunch. I have just tried to live with this. I use the fog lights to help. (Brights seem to work ok).

3. For the past few months, when i make the right turn into our alley and hit a bump, the open door switch comes on and kicks the dome light on. Obviously, no door is open. I checked the four door switches near the latch where it indicates that the door is closed. All four seem to work on and off. Now may be one isn't working well, but I am having trouble isolating this. Additionally, I cant find this switch for the hatch/trunk. I am wondering if this is where the problem is.

4. This might be related to the problem addressed in #3, but my passenger door lock went crazy. At random, the doors would try to lock when I was going down the road. I know that the car is set up to lock once you travel above a specified MPH, but it would keep doing this over and over. I assume this is do to the door open situation. Next thing I know, the passenger door lock starts making a terrible electrical/grinding noise. Then a day later, the door lock is seized. I couldn't open it from the inside or the outside. After jamming a screw driver down in the door, I got it to release (not sure how, but my prayer was answered. I changed the latch and motor (one piece) yesterday. (I have turned off the auto-lock now).

After changing the latch and motor, it now locks and unlocks. The problem is that if the door has been locked, it must be unlocked from the inside using the handle. Once this has been done, then the door will open over and over using the outside handle. Is there a linkage issue?

Im stumped. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
mikebontoft
Aurelius Pardus

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,541, Level 94
Points: 23,541, Level: 94 Points: 23,541, Level: 94 Points: 23,541, Level: 94
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
You know your other problem is likely related to this as well...

what do all of your little grounds look like that bolt to the fender right next to the battery?
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parted) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (racecar) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (daily).
ModeratingGeneral Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 11-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
blakeclevenger
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105886
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus XZ5 DOHC Ztech 120k

FF Reputation: 1 blakeclevenger Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I checked one ground and it looked good. Is there a good diagram on here that shows where all the grounds are?

I assumed the idle situation wasn't related to this because it was new, but heck, Im not sure. The electrical thing is a demon. I just keeps expanding it seems. Been going on for years. My only complaint about the car other than the faulty plastic in the rear window regulators.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.