VCM II Diagnostics interface installation - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #11
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Kaaru, Question: While in drive (not sport/select-shift, if you have it) does your car shift into 6th at 35mph still? Or 40?

Because the dealership did an update on my car and while I have to admit that it does shift better, it still occasionally makes the chatter/slipping noises. The update just made it that much more difficult to get a dealer to warrant fixing my car. Also, if drive up a hill or manually shift it into 2nd/4th/6th I can still get the slipping noise every time. I feel like it's a Band-Aid fix that just masks the issue that the clutch is contaminated with oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #12
Kaaru
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96763
What I Drive: '12 Oxford Wh. SEL Sedan 28/07/2011

FF Reputation: 1 Kaaru Good Standing Member
Heya PratoN,

The issues I have are not sound related as my tranny does generate the ''normal'' noise, i'm pretty sure, nothing compared to the horrors I have listened to on youtube. As you know it's more related to a loss of power or reaction in certain conditions. I Will, however, try to note when the car shifts into 6th in Auto mode, as I have the sport mode. After driving a 2013 SE loaner for 2 days with the reg tranny (no ''S'' mode), I can say w/o hesitation that the level of cabin noise is far superior in my 2012 SEL than the loaner. Both were on winter tires, btw and driven in the same conditions/roads etc.

I do get the clutch slipping ''feel'' everytime I try to squeeze some HP out of this car, kinda like an elastic band stretching feeling. I have told my dealer about the oil contamination issues and he discarded it right away after driving my car. If my car has a mechanical problem, the updates they did ''camouflaged'' it pretty well. But like I said before, I feel I am going the same path I did back in June 2012 when they did FSA 12B37. The car worked great for a few weeks and then the tranny went downhill afterwards.

I'll check for the 6th gear /40Mph thing and report back

Cheers
Old 11-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #13
Kaaru
Focus Enthusiast

@ PratoN;

I did check what you asked from me. @40 MPH I am in the high band of the 5th gear. I wasnt able to collect more info as there is too much trafic going on where I drive. I'll try to find a quiet spot around home and do some serious testing for you. So far, it looks like I'm in 5th. Tranny behaved like a champ comming back home tonite. No jerkyness, no loss of power, no hesitations, no ''feels like you've been hit from behind'' while traveling on the idlle speed with your foot on the brake. I must say, driving this car is, for the moment, a pleasure. Just like post FSA 12B37. I acheived my good old 8.2L/100Km in one 'round trip.

I shall wait a bit before celebrating too much.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #14
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 10 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Kaaru, Question: While in drive (not sport/select-shift, if you have it) does your car shift into 6th at 35mph still? Or 40?

Because the dealership did an update on my car and while I have to admit that it does shift better, it still occasionally makes the chatter/slipping noises. The update just made it that much more difficult to get a dealer to warrant fixing my car. Also, if drive up a hill or manually shift it into 2nd/4th/6th I can still get the slipping noise every time. I feel like it's a Band-Aid fix that just masks the issue that the clutch is contaminated with oil.
I have a question for you:

Do you have a confirmed oil leak?

If so, what is the reason (according to the dealer) that they will not replace the transmission seal and clutch assembly?
Old 11-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #15
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Do you have a confirmed oil leak?
Nope - which is the only reason I'm thinking about taking the car apart myself... so far 2 dealers have looked into the jerky ride/poor acceleration uphill and grinding noises coming from the transmission. Without an external oil leak, they say there's nothing they can do so they come back and tell me "That noise is normal."

I suppose there's a chance I could just have a bad clutch without the oil leak - but no dealer has looked into replacing the clutch under that circumstance either.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #16
Kaaru
Focus Enthusiast

That's a negative oil leak for me aswell.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #17
Brabs_Weather
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93741
What I Drive: 04 Ex Ltd, 08 Edge Ltd, 12 FF Ti

FF Reputation: 2 Brabs_Weather Good Standing Member
i think that most fixes have found the internal seal separating the dry clutch from the wet has a leak. All of the people who have had success show that the seals were replaced internally. my 2 cents
Borla Exhaust with UltraQuiet resonator
K&N X-4870. Steeda RSB
Old 11-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #18
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaaru View Post
@ PratoN;

I did check what you asked from me. @40 MPH I am in the high band of the 5th gear. I wasnt able to collect more info as there is too much trafic going on where I drive. I'll try to find a quiet spot around home and do some serious testing for you. So far, it looks like I'm in 5th. Tranny behaved like a champ comming back home tonite. No jerkyness, no loss of power, no hesitations, no ''feels like you've been hit from behind'' while traveling on the idlle speed with your foot on the brake. I must say, driving this car is, for the moment, a pleasure. Just like post FSA 12B37. I acheived my good old 8.2L/100Km in one 'round trip.

I shall wait a bit before celebrating too much.
Thanks for the update, Kaaru. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread and monitor how things go for you, but feel free to contact me (or Ford Canada) directly if you need any assistance.

Have a great day!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->