Zetec Powered MGB Build Thread - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-28-2012, 07:48 AM   #21
79mgb
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105006
What I Drive: 1979 MG MGB, 2008 Mazda 3

FF Reputation: 3 79mgb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Seeing the interest in this build is really motivating!

I got the cylinder head from ah1f39 in mail on Monday. I want to give a special thanks to Allen for quickly shipping out the cylinder head in a VERY well packed box. I highly recommend him if he ever sells anything in the future. I'm going to use some older photos that ah1f39 had taken for his advertisement because my photos didn't look good at all (surface was too reflective).

This cylinder head was fully ported and will hopefully flow well compared to the stock cylinder head. All the work that was done to it looks professional and high quality. It was previously owned by Mlbbaseball, a member of focus fanatics who has had a lot of success building naturally aspirated engines. It has FRPP springs, Crower retainers, and stock valves. Overall, the head looks like it'll work wonderfully with raised compression and a good pair of cams.

One thing I noticed while handling the cylinder head was that the old paint kept flaking off everywhere. I masked off the head, cleaned the surface very well, and repainted it with some VHT "FlameProof" flat aluminum paint. The paint seems very durable and it sprayed on easily. I'm hoping it'll hold up for a long time. I'll probably need to touch it up after the engine is built up but at least all the odds and ends are done. Here are some photos of the paint:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 08:37 AM   #22
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 22 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
That's down-right sexy!

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 11-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #23
PumkinSvt
Dat Bewst Life!!

Fan#: 46561
What I Drive: 10 Forte DD,Comp SVTF

FF Reputation: 28 PumkinSvt Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (32)
pretty awesome build you have going on man! why didn't you use a duratec 2.3 motor though?

HKS||Garrett||TopSpeed||Tial||Massive||
Old 11-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #24
79mgb
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumkinSvt View Post
pretty awesome build you have going on man! why didn't you use a duratec 2.3 motor though?
Good question! I kind of just chose the Zetec in my mind and kind of stuck with it. I've seen the Zetec RWD conversion online a few times and figured it'd be simple enough. Zetec engines make plenty of power compared to the original engine and I'll still end up being a faster than a stock NB Miata.

If I were to go for big horsepower, I would have picked a Ford 302.

I just think the Zetec is a great match for this little roadster and will easily meet my goal for reliability and efficiency.

Last edited by 79mgb; 11-28-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #25
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 47 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Oh man that head is sexy! So jealous too cause that's all I need to really finish up my build to have a full n/a lol Keep the pics coming cause I think your starting to have a following on here lol

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 11-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #26
79mgb
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyboy View Post
Oh man that head is sexy! So jealous too cause that's all I need to really finish up my build to have a full n/a lol Keep the pics coming cause I think your starting to have a following on here lol
Thanks! I'm really getting a kick out of how often the word "sexy" is used to describe my car parts.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #27
79mgb
Focus Enthusiast

Hey guys,

I had planned on going to the PRI trade show today in Orlando but I'm just too busy to make it out there. Since I couldn't go, here's an update on the MGB. I think everyone here would be interested in what I've done so far. I knew that with the zx9r carburetors I'd need to fabricate my own intake manifold. Since I have access to a Hurco CNC mill at my job, I was able to have an engineer help produce some intake flanges for my new manifold.

Credit for the design work goes to a UK car forum called TurboSport. The design can be found here: http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthread.php?155793-Zetec-inlet-manifold-drawing

The flange is made from 3/8" thick aluminum. I need to round off a few uncut corners but I think it looks pretty good! I'll eventually port match it to the head. When it's done being welded, It will be somewhat identical to this intake manifold:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=129604&page=1

In other news, tomorrow will probably be the dyno day for the MGB. I'm also going to have it weighed while I'm out and about. I'll upload the results when I get a chance.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #28
MattDzx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 99676
What I Drive: 2002 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 MattDzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Very nice! Wish I had access to a CNC mill
Rally Revolution #78, NW Posse #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by brekkebooboo View Post
One does not simply "unstance" Their car
Old 11-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #29
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53637
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

FF Reputation: 24 6SPD_soul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
This is a great thread, it's nice to have a distraction from the usual "drop/tint/rims/what is my car doing/why is there no washer fluid warning light" threads. I know it's purely cosmetic but that valve cover is a thing of beauty and you've probably inspired some people with it.

Out of curiousity, did you consider the SVT engine? Florida is probably littered with wrecked SVTs (where I bought mine) and stock vs. stock it's an appreciable jump in power and should bolt in the same way.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #30
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 47 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
With the head work and ITB's he'll surpass what the SVT has, unless he put the ITB's on the SVT but still they would be so close. The normal zetec would most likely be the much cheaper option, that and he already has the parts for it.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat

Bookmarks & Social Networks