Zetec Powered MGB Build Thread - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
79mgb
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105006
What I Drive: 1979 MG MGB, 2008 Mazda 3

FF Reputation: 3 79mgb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Happy Thanksgiving, everybody! I'm thankful for finding an active forum with knowledgeable members that have plenty of positive input!

I've been pretty busy working on the front suspension of the MGB but haven't uploaded any new photos of my work. I'll update everybody on that soon. In the meantime, I figure I'd post some pictures of some Zetec parts.

While this isn't performance related, I thought this would be a nice finishing touch for this engine swap. When I first joined Focus Fanatics, I purchased a metal Contour valve cover from 2GreenAutos. He also included a Massive Speed Systems hardware kit and Oil Cap. I wanted the valve cover to look relatively modest so I ground down the Zetec and Ford logos and had it powder coated with a wrinkle black finish. I also purchased a polished, stainless steel spark plug cover because I thought it would look pretty slick. Here are some photos of the finished product.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #12
71shadow
Focalize!!!

Fan#: 72524
What I Drive: 01 Greenie ZX3, 13 tux shadow

FF Reputation: 2 71shadow Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
turned out very nice!

FF ROCKSSSS

And Now__Tuned by Tom__
Old 11-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #13
ah1f39
Alone in the Cave

Fan#: 70006
What I Drive: 2000 Explorer 4x4

FF Reputation: 28 ah1f39 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I think that is the sexiest looking Zetec valve cover I've ever seen.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #14
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
It sure is purty!

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 11-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #15
79mgb
Focus Enthusiast

Hey guys,

I hope all is well with everybody. I've suddenly come down with a cold but figured I could give a small photo update. I've been working on the front suspension a lot. Within the last week or so I've been able to replace all the old, original rubber bushings with polyurethane bushings from Energy Suspension. This involved replacing bushings in the lower and upper control arms and the front sway bar. I decided to go with black bushings because they contain graphite and are more resistant to squeaking.

While I had the front suspension apart, I cleaned up and painted the components to keep it rust free (and looking good). This car was well greased and garaged by the previous owner so it's pretty much free of rust. One thing that bothers me about the later MGB's is that they have a very high ride height. I was able to cut the coil springs and lower the car to match the rear ride height (The rear currently has saggy springs and it conveniently lowered itself with time).

Here's the before photo:

Here's after cutting the springs:

With the new bushings and the lowered front end, the MGB handles a lot better. I believe the car currently weighs around 2500 pounds (about on par with a NB miata). With a Zetec engine, T-5 Transmission, and a chrome bumper conversion I predict the MGB will be around 200 pounds lighter. I'll probably have to cut the coils again to make up for the weight difference but it's really easy to take this car apart.

In other news:
I received a really nice gift from my parents and swapped my old, ugly steering wheel with a classy Moto-lita steering wheel. They also got a nice wooden shift knob to match. It's a VERY nice gift and I got it just in time for the Daytona Turkey Run. I know it's a little off topic for the Zetec swap, but I'm pretty sure my dad lurks this thread so I'd like to give a big THANK YOU for a very nice gift. Also, note the painted gauge rings in the after photo!

What's next for the MGB:

Before I get too involved with building up a Zetec, I need to finish replacing components on the rear suspension. This will probably include new leaf springs, lowering kit, rear shock conversion, new polyurethane bushings, and axle straps.

I'll be hitting a dyno soon to show just how much horsepower this MGB motor really has. I'm also going to have it weighed. I feel like this will show a great before and after difference for the swap.

This may come as a shock to those subscribed to this thread but I don't actually have a Zetec engine yet. I've been searching for a good engine with low miles. So far, I found a 2003 Focus Zetec with about 60,000 miles on it that's somewhat close to where I work. I plan on showing a detailed tear down and build for this engine.

I've purchased a fully ported cylinder head from ah1f39 and it should arrive Monday. I'll have to update again after I receive it. It should be great for opening up power for a naturally aspirated Zetec. I want to pair it with Crower Stage 2 cams. If anybody has these on their engine, I'd love to read some personal feedback on them.

As always, thank you for the support and the feedback. I'm really looking forward to this swap!
Old 11-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #16
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Wow big difference on the before and after shots. Really like that new wheel and the painted surrounds. 60k mi for a Zetec is nothing if it's been taken care off. The crower stg 2's aren't bad at all though I don't have any experience with them besides having a Crower stg 1 exhaust cam on my zetec but, with the head your getting will really wake that motor up. The MG should really fly with that combination.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 11-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #17
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 21 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
I love this thread!

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 11-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #18
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Looks like an amazing build!
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Old 11-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #19
wildfire329
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63404
What I Drive: 2001, twilightblue, zx3

FF Reputation: 1 wildfire329 Good Standing Member
Thats a cool carb setup! They would go geat with stage 2 cams I bet! After I get my bad ass zetec n trarns in my focus I will be looking to rebuild the old 1's n puy them in something cool, not a mgb but somethingmaybe a small dual drive sport boat lmao! Ive read an artical in hotrod mag. Of guys using zetec's in hotrods, mounting them to late model transmitions and carborating them with a special coil pack kit.. Is that what ur gonna gonna do?
Old 11-28-2012, 05:50 AM   #20
79mgb
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfire329 View Post
Is that what ur gonna gonna do?
That's essentially the plan!

Bookmarks & Social Networks