Zetec Powered MGB Build Thread - Page 11 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #101
79mgb
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105006
What I Drive: 1979 MG MGB, 2008 Mazda 3

FF Reputation: 3 79mgb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Awesome build. Im considering a Zetec or Duratec in my MGB. Havent decided what build to go with yet. I'm getting a lot of great info from this. Keep it up and good luck.

Not sure the collector of that exhaust will "flow better." That abrupt change in the collector plate from 4 to 1 creates a significant pressure drop.
Thanks for the input! I'm glad you've enjoyed reading about the build. I'm still willing to bet that any aftermarket shorty header will outperform the stock manifold of the same design. Overall, using a shorty header seems much easier than making our own header or adapting a 1.8L Miata header.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #102
Mustangsix
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106702
What I Drive: 32 Ford, 73 MGB GT

FF Reputation: 1 Mustangsix Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I guess we should tell these guys that their header doesn't flow well.

Kidding aside, 4-into-1 open collector is a proven design that works well.

Not to mention the packaging issues of doing anything in an MGB. Keep in mind that the engine compartment is tiny so there's not a lot of room to work with. A shorty design is the easiest way to go.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #103
79mgb
Focus Enthusiast

We installed the cam gears on the cams and started checking the valve lash. It looks like we'll be able to use most of the buckets we already have after I rearrange them. I still might need about four or five buckets so I've contacted some people that I can hopefully buy them from.

I'll post some photos of progress later this weekend.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #104
Kickerbeast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87814
What I Drive: FrankenFocus AWD In Progress

FF Reputation: 1 Kickerbeast Good Standing Member
VERY nice. I'm loving this. I wish my Dad lived close enough to help with mine. I'm jealous of you guys there. I can't wait to see this done!

Oh, and is that tile on the floor in your garage?? How does that hold up to having engine stands rolled around? Do you have a mat for jack stands when you use them?

ZX3 going AWD http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310574
Old 03-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #105
thenorm
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 liquid grey ZX3, built for FSP

FF Reputation: 33 thenorm Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
great thread. Your back and forth banter is quite enjoyable.

My Dad is not really a car guy, but he has helped me with some of the larger tasks I've tackled (suspension, clutch). They are good memories to make; a father and son working together.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #106
Turbo Turtle
Fins Up!

Fan#: 32772
What I Drive: Miata, STi, GSXR1k

FF Reputation: 54 Turbo Turtle Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangsix View Post
I guess we should tell these guys that their header doesn't flow well.

Kidding aside, 4-into-1 open collector is a proven design that works well.

Not to mention the packaging issues of doing anything in an MGB. Keep in mind that the engine compartment is tiny so there's not a lot of room to work with. A shorty design is the easiest way to go.
the collector on that is completely different that that shorty zetec header. the collector on that car costs more than the whole zetec header. the merg collector on that header is not cut pipes with a flat piece welded inside like that zetec collector and they use a megaphone after the collector to help with velocity.

those two headers can not be compared. just look at the difference a true performance merge collector
http://www.perfweldheaders.com/_imag...lector%201.jpg

http://stainless.eclipticcms.com/ima...or%20Large.JPG

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...1/IMG_1634.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...1/IMG_1635.jpg

that shorty will flow a little better than stock but it will not make a difference that you can really feel. but it does look a hell of a lot better.

and for the OP i'll get back with you very soon about those buckets. i have to get them out of the attic and measure them

Tim

facebook.com/TurboTurtleGarage
TurboTurtleFab@gmail.com
Old 03-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #107
MattDzx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 99676
What I Drive: 2002 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 MattDzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
^^ That's some very nice welding and polishing work, and your right they can't be compared to the shorty.
Rally Revolution #78, NW Posse #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by brekkebooboo View Post
One does not simply "unstance" Their car
Old 03-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #108
79mgb
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
VERY nice. I'm loving this. I wish my Dad lived close enough to help with mine. I'm jealous of you guys there. I can't wait to see this done!

Oh, and is that tile on the floor in your garage?? How does that hold up to having engine stands rolled around? Do you have a mat for jack stands when you use them?
Thanks! I've definitely enjoyed working on this build with my dad so far. We've worked on a lot of cars together but this will be the first one we're restoring/modifying together from start to finish. Your build is going to be pretty epic for FF. I'm looking forward to seeing more progress/photos.

As for the floor, I'm pretty sure it's peel and stick tile (vinyl material). It's been very durable so far and the engine stand and jacks roll on it without any issues. It's pretty easy to clean oil off of too.

Quote:
great thread. Your back and forth banter is quite enjoyable.
Thanks for the support. I'm glad you're enjoying it. I didn't think this thread would really gain any interest when I first started it on FF but you guys have been extremely helpful and have good input.

Quote:
that shorty will flow a little better than stock but it will not make a difference that you can really feel. but it does look a hell of a lot better.

and for the OP i'll get back with you very soon about those buckets. i have to get them out of the attic and measure them
I wouldn't read into my dad's joke too much. He knows what he's talking about but he's a bit of a forum troll sometimes. I'm housesitting for him this weekend so I'll punish him by drinking all the beer in the fridge.

Regardless, the shorty header is the easiest option for my build because I'll avoid a lot of clearance issues with my small engine compartment. It's a compromise in performance but it makes the swap a little easier. If I were truly building for power, I would have gone with a V8 swap. I have to agree that it does look a lot better.

I really appreciate you looking for the buckets. Currently the .685 is the one I need the most. It would definitely help us out a lot. I think I have the other ones covered. Just PM me when you can get around to it. Thanks again!
Old 03-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #109
nateobie
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110913
What I Drive: 1967 MGB RD

FF Reputation: 1 nateobie Good Standing Member
You said it Turtle.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #110
Mustangsix
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106702
What I Drive: 32 Ford, 73 MGB GT

FF Reputation: 1 Mustangsix Good Standing Member
Crap....all my beer is gone! And has been replaced with apple ale!

I really wish we could get the SVT header into that chassis, but there's no way it will fit without hacking it or the car up. The shorty is the best compromise because it fits the car.

Early on I think I said the stock header was probably almost as good, but Bling wins out this time.

Last edited by Mustangsix; 03-11-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks