Zetec Powered MGB Build Thread - Page 10 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #91
jonyrocks
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97716
What I Drive: 2002 silver focus svt #1021

FF Reputation: 1 jonyrocks Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
could have sworn i saw the mgb driving around on red bug yesterday or the day before, looked just like it, that blue is hard to miss xD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #92
Turbo Turtle
Fins Up!

Fan#: 32772
What I Drive: Miata, STi, GSXR1k

FF Reputation: 54 Turbo Turtle Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (25)
if you need any cam buckets for setting the lash on those cams let me know. got a bunch of spares

Tim

facebook.com/TurboTurtleGarage
TurboTurtleFab@gmail.com
Old 02-21-2013, 05:59 AM   #93
79mgb
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105006
What I Drive: 1979 MG MGB, 2008 Mazda 3

FF Reputation: 3 79mgb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyrocks View Post
could have sworn i saw the mgb driving around on red bug yesterday or the day before, looked just like it, that blue is hard to miss xD
Despite how awesome the weather has been lately, I haven't taken my MGB out in a few days. That's pretty cool though. I feel like I've only seen a couple other MGB's driving around town.

Quote:
if you need any cam buckets for setting the lash on those cams let me know. got a bunch of spares
Hey Tim. That'd be great! I'll PM you when we get around to it.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:38 PM   #94
79mgb
Focus Enthusiast

I've definitely gained 30+ hp with the recent mods to my valve cover.

Don't worry, it's a spare from the junkyard.
On a more serious note, I have a ton of parts on the way to help complete my engine build. I can't wait to really get this thing put together! Expect a pretty hefty update sometime on Wednesday.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #95
Mustangsix
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106702
What I Drive: 32 Ford, 73 MGB GT

FF Reputation: 1 Mustangsix Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Funny..... Good help is hard to find.....

While he was messing around with the valve cover, I was tediously measuring tappets with my micrometers.

Couple of findings: I noticed that there are no markings of any sort on these buckets or the ones on the stock head and all the tappets are within .001 - .002" of each other. There isn't any great variation from one to the next and most speced out the same.

Second, after all that measuring, I don't think I want to used the ones that came with the ported head. I'm not a fan of using used lifters or buckets on any engine and there are some circular scratches that came from lobe contact. Looks like either the oil had something in it at one time or the cam wasn't well lubed, so out they go.

Also, we tested the EDIS/Megajolt setup. Worked great on the bench with a trigger wheel on a drill. Lots of big sparks from the coil pack! I've already developed a couple of ignition maps to start with. Go to http://www.autosportlabs.net/Main_Page to see more on Megajolt.

Like he said, lots of parts coming in, so we can finally button this thing up and finish putting the transmission on. Then we can pull the MGB engine, set this one in, and start making mounts.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #96
79mgb
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangsix View Post
Funny..... Good help is hard to find.....

While he was messing around with the valve cover, I was tediously measuring tappets with my micrometers.
Pretty sure this happened AFTER you went inside the house to kick back in your cozy recliner...

Parts on order:
Pulleys
Timing belt
Adjustable cam gears
Windage tray gasket
Clutch kit
Flywheel bolts
Starter
Header

I'm dropping some parts off today at the powder coat place to get cleaned up. Can't wait to get this engine built!
Old 03-01-2013, 01:51 AM   #97
redSVT_03
Focus Addict

Fan#: 78206
What I Drive: 2003 red SVTF

FF Reputation: 4 redSVT_03 Good Standing Member
sweet build! been reading through this from the start. Although I don't know much about these cars, my uncle is a big fan. He has the third floor of my families appliance business warehouse filled with junked/ partial cars like this, not sure if they're the same model though. he has a couple running ones and tons of partials and even a burned one lol.

Good luck cat wait to see this finished!
Old 03-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #98
79mgb
Focus Enthusiast

redSVT_03, that sounds pretty awesome. I bet your uncle has a lot of cool cars to work on and drive. I wish I could have that much space for our projects.

As far as progress on my build, I've been so busy that I haven't updated. All the parts that I ordered were delivered. I took some photos of the stuff before I started tinkering. Here's a shot of the Mac shorty header that I'm going to use. I looks like it'll flow better than the stock manifold.

I'll be using an Exedy OEM clutch kit for a 1992 Mustang 2.3L.

I also bought a cheap, new Bosch starter for a 1992 Mustang 2.3L.

We installed the head using ARP head studs and mocked up the engine using a random alternator and the exhaust manifold. You can also see I've installed my new pulleys and have my timing belt ready to go. It's nice to see this engine coming together.

Today on lunch break, I sand blasted my bell housing and the windage tray so I'll be painting those at home tonight. I should be able to make a bunch of progress and have more photos soon.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #99
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Nice!

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 03-05-2013, 11:15 PM   #100
nateobie
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110913
What I Drive: 1967 MGB RD

FF Reputation: 1 nateobie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Awesome build. Im considering a Zetec or Duratec in my MGB. Havent decided what build to go with yet. I'm getting a lot of great info from this. Keep it up and good luck.

Not sure the collector of that exhaust will "flow better." That abrupt change in the collector plate from 4 to 1 creates a significant pressure drop.

[QUOTE=79mgb;4619505]redSVT_03, that sounds pretty awesome. I bet your uncle has a lot of cool cars to work on and drive. I wish I could have that much space for our projects.

As far as progress on my build, I've been so busy that I haven't updated. All the parts that I ordered were delivered. I took some photos of the stuff before I started tinkering. Here's a shot of the Mac shorty header that I'm going to use. I looks like it'll flow better than the stock manifold.

Bookmarks & Social Networks