funky idle - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-26-2015, 04:28 PM   #1
tubs26
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 208241
What I Drive: 89 mazda

Points 183, Level 3
Points: 183, Level: 3 Points: 183, Level: 3 Points: 183, Level: 3
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 tubs26 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
funky idle

so i just picked up a 2000 zx3 and i really like the car!

anyways

at idle when warm itll be at 8-900 and then after a few seconds it would jump to 11-1200 and hangout there for a little then drop back down like its gonna stall but then balances it back to 900.

while driving going from gear to gear, when i put the clutch in the revs bump up a few rpms, (might be my fault) then they drop from lets say 3000 rpms to 2000 rpms pretty good but once it gets into the 1700-1500 rpm range it very slowly returns to idle and most of the time just stop at 1500 then go to 1100, then go to idle, where it repeats the pattern described above.

I've cleaned the TB very good and the throttle response is better and has more pickup but the idle characteristics are the same. i have some B-12 fuel system cleaner im gonna put in and see if that does anything.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2015, 08:42 PM   #2
tubs26
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 208241
What I Drive: 89 mazda

Points 183, Level 3
Points: 183, Level: 3 Points: 183, Level: 3 Points: 183, Level: 3
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 tubs26 Good Standing Member
Update: i replaced the sparkplugs and wireset and 90% of the symptoms are gone, however when i let off the gas and put it in neutral the rpms will drop like there suppose to but then stop at about 1200 and then 1100 and they after 6 sec of that it'll finally drop to 900 and stay locked there.

is that normal?
Old 01-29-2015, 03:07 PM   #3
Leora83
Focus Addict

Fan#: 69136
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 chrome yellow

Points 523, Level 10
Points: 523, Level: 10 Points: 523, Level: 10 Points: 523, Level: 10
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 1 Leora83 Good Standing Member
Idle is usually 700-800rpms on these, but it usually takes a moment or two for it to drop when you take it out of gear. If it's surging up and down every few seconds in idle, you have a vacuum leak. Check your PCV hose, as they're a known failure point on the 1st-gen Focus.

Given its age, try cleaning the Idle Air Control Valve. Search this forum and you'll find lots of info on the infamous IACV.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:40 AM   #4
gab988
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 218570
What I Drive: 2001 ford focus sedan 2.0L zetec DO

Points 9, Level 1
Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 gab988 Good Standing Member
I had a similar problem when i bought 8 months ago my 2001 zetec focus. The car was sometime dying at red lights due to improper idle rpm and sometime it was running high without any reasons. So i noticed that the vacuum hose of the pcv valve(the valve is located on the engine near the right side of the exhaust manifold and if my memory is good the hose passes under the coil pack in a small metal pipe for a while then there is another hose at the end going toward the firewall) was collapsed where it reconnects to the engine near the firewall(under the air intake manifold). I noticed that by touching it since you cant clearly see back there and at one point the hose was deformed and easy to collapse (probably deteriorated by the engine heat). Its really easy to feel because the texture and stiffness is very different than the rest of the hose. So by changing this, the clogged pcv valve and cleaning the IAC the problem was gone(really cheap repair that cost me 50$ total for ford new pieces and the new hose has a protection on it now since its a common issue). But i didnt change the grommet holding the pcv in the engine because the ford guy told me it was only sold with the oil separator that costs about 600-700$ (pretty stupid its not sold seperatly) but it did the job and now it runs like a brand car new... or the best a 2001 focus can run lol

Apparently vacuum leaks can do a lot of weird little problems like this that are sometimes hard to diagnose and pretty expensive if you start changing pieces you think are faulty... the haynes repair manual for ford focus helped me a lot to locate all these vacuum line and gives tips on maintenance schedule of the car (for exemple they talk about vacuum lines and pcv valve inspections at every 6 months). I think that the normal vacuum pressure value is written in there.

Anyways i would still check the vacuum with a proper gage to see if its in its normal range because i noticed a lot of little vacuum lines in the engine bay that can be damaged over time and be waiting to deteriorate more and cause weird issues on your car systems... I used a vacuum gage to verify it but if you dont have one maybe by spraying carefully some quick start spray on your vacuum hoses would make the idle change a bit if you have a leak? But im not 100% sure on this one...

Last edited by gab988; 02-01-2015 at 02:42 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:40 PM   #5
sailor
Elder

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 13,449, Level 75
Points: 13,449, Level: 75 Points: 13,449, Level: 75 Points: 13,449, Level: 75
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 82 sailor Excellent Standing Member
X2 - All good suggestions.

S.R. #275 Focus Takeover #003

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.