Replaced motor mounts, still have the vibes - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-22-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
Dizle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103998
What I Drive: 2006 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Dizle Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Replaced motor mounts, still have the vibes

So I went with a DEA brand passenger motor mount after researching on this forum. Car was fine no vibrations after I put it on. Now 3 weeks later, MAYBE 300 miles I have vibrations again?

I replaced the driver side motor mount with a cheap-o, the old one looked fine I'm sure it was bc the new one didn't do anything.

Could my DEA pass motor mount have already failed in less than one tank of gas? It's gotten colder out the vibs are real bad and annoying when cold in the am.

I should have forked over the dough for a ford MM but didn't, I will happily pay for it now even after wasting $50 on this one if it'll fix my vibrations. Stuff inside the cab rattles and makes noise, I swear right after I replaced the MM I had NO vibrations, noises or anything.

Any other suggestions before I spend more money on a factory motor mount? I've done all the basic tune up stuff: plugs properly gapped, cleaned MAF, oil/filter, seafoam, injector cleaner, fuel filter.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 01:51 AM   #2
dwalfw
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94701
What I Drive: 2004 zx5 silver

FF Reputation: 1 dwalfw Good Standing Member
I have a 04 zx5 and used the $40 mount off ebay, it worked great but lost the fluid after 200 miles. The company had a lifetime warranty and sent another real quick, it lost the fluid just like the other one. No vibrations or noticeable difference with or without the fluid. The fluid is not compressed so I don't feel it does not do much and the newness of the rubber is what gives all the vibration dampening. I've had that mount in for 9000 miles and it works great without fluid and you can't even hear the engine. I removed the top rubber flap off the other one and cleaned and filled the cavity with urethane and will install it when I fill the other one going....try replacing the tranny mount, I did both of these at the same time and I had vibration problems but those have been eliminated.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:05 AM   #3
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
You are flat wasting your time putting urethane in the cavity, it does nothing according to your very own testimony, or, 'No vibrations or noticeable difference with or without the fluid.' Think it out.......... You don't know how the mount works or you'd know the fluid DOES compress, you can't have a 'hydraulic' mount without it doing so. The rubber takes much of the vibration but once it starts hardening it will come back. Especially in cold weather.

Yes, the aftermarket ones can fail in a VERY short time. Some blow fluid out the bottom and you won't know unless mount removed. Some simply blow whatever they use for a restriction plate/valve, depending on how it's constructed, several ways of making them inside and a big fat patent on every one. If they do that they simply start vibrating. I've seen new ones vibrate or leak oil right out of the box.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:28 PM   #4
Dizle
Focus Enthusiast

Crapola, so I probably need to get a ford one. These vibrations make me really hate driving the car in the morning. There is no fluid leaking as I've pulled it off but like you said the valve/ restricter inside probably failed already.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:28 AM   #5
Monoblanco
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59784
What I Drive: 2002 bright yellow ZX5

FF Reputation: 3 Monoblanco Good Standing Member
Call Steve at Tousley Ford (1-800-328-9552) for best OEM prices. I just replaced all three of mine for under $200. The passenger side alone was $76.66. No affiliation escept for being a repeat satisfied customer.
Good luck,
Monoblanco
Old 11-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
dwalfw
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94701
What I Drive: 2004 zx5 silver

FF Reputation: 1 dwalfw Good Standing Member
Sounds like your mount might be defective or it's something else, the passenger mount I installed solve the problem and I put the tyranny on a week later to just give it new mounts.
Like I said I removed the paper thin top to the rubber mount on the ford mount to find a cavity with a round aluminum piece of metal with about 1/4" around it for the antifreeze type liquid. The aftermarket mount hade a paper thin top with a plastic layered piece in it with the liquid around it. This thing just fell out and that's when I thought of filling the cavity with urethane and when the mount I have on now feels like its going I'll try this setup just to see how it works. The mount I have in now is the identical mount as the one I filled with urethane and it has no liquid in it and has been good for 9000 miles. I really feel the quality of the new rubber on the mount is what does 99.9% of the work and if it's defective or compresses prematurely the vibrations will be felt.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:43 AM   #7
amc49
Focus Fanatic

If you remove the upper guts from mount you will quickly realize that the rubber left only dampens in a downward direction, rubber dampens far better in compression than extension. Adding urethane in the cup only reinforces the downward direction, you still got 3/4 of a rotation there that does not dampen well at all like that.

If you have a mount that looks like one glued up to fill it, you may have a solid rubber only mount, I looked for one for a bit but could not find, they may have discontinued making them. I know Anchor dropped them from their catalog.

I have installed a long stud in the very middle to be able to use a thick pure rubber donut on top of the metal bowl washer in there to dampen upwards also. It works great, but cannot be done without that stud to work against. I have no intention of buying hydraulic mounts ever again, the ones I've rigged do fine.

The damping fluid is silicone, antifreeze is ethylene glycol.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #8
Dizle
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoblanco View Post
Call Steve at Tousley Ford (1-800-328-9552) for best OEM prices. I just replaced all three of mine for under $200. The passenger side alone was $76.66. No affiliation escept for being a repeat satisfied customer.
Good luck,
Monoblanco
Ordered one from these guys, way cheaper than any local dealers even with shipping! Thanks so much, can't wait for it to get here and get rid of these annoying vibrations!
Old 11-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
amc49
Focus Fanatic

The passenger side one is getting low enough in price to make it even more of a mistake to buy aftermarket, you're saving maybe only $20 there now.

I can assure you that you are getting that $20 worth of better quality, the aftermarket ones do not have the top plate installed nearly so robustly as the Ford one does, the tops loosen and then blow out (as many as four parts!) as soon as a couple of months, you're lucky when the pieces fall into your belt if something serious does not break there. Never seen a Ford one do that, they break internally but retain the broken parts. That quality alone worth the twenty bucks................
Old 11-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
Dizle
Focus Enthusiast

UPDATE: Replaced new DEA passenger motor mount with a factory Ford one and all vibrations are once again gone! I can replace that sucker in less than 10 minutes now ha!

Conclusion: DEA mount failed after less than a tank of gas, like many people have said DO NOT waste money on aftermarket mounts! Call Steve at Tousley Ford (1-800-328-9552) and spend the extra cash for a mount that will last! It was around $80 total shipped across the country to CA and came in 4 days. I'm kicking myself in the @$$ for wasting money on the crapy DEA part! I still can't believe it failed in less than 500 miles, how can they put such an inferior part on the market? Maybe mine was bad but it didn't vibrate at all when I first installed it. So happy now that ALL my vibrations are gone and I hope it stays this way!

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->