This Prius can't even sell itself... - Page 7 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #61
Power Surge
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55878
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE 5-door

FF Reputation: 1 Power Surge Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by revhigh View Post
At 80MPH the Prius gets 1.5 - 2 times the mileage that the Focus gets,

REV
Definitely calling BS on that one. I have probably a dozen friends and customers who have a 2010+ Prius, whom I spoke to extensively about fuel mileage before buying my Focus. Every single one of them said mpg drops considerably once you go past 65mph, and at 80mph highway commute (yes I asked about this specifically since I was doing 120 miles a day at 80mph) the cars are only getting barely 40mpg. That's not much higher than my particular Focus, and some here have reported that high on their own cars.

Just like our cars are all over the place with mpgs, the Prius might be too if you are seeing 80mpg still at 80mph, but that is NOT common for those cars.
2008 Vista Blue SE (gone)
    Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #62
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Forums are areas for discussion, both pro and con ..... which is what we're doing .....

REV
Old 11-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #63
pje65
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99262
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 pje65 Good Standing Member
Quote:
11.9 .... good for about 550 miles with a gallon left and an 11 gallon fillup.

Alarms and chimes have always been configurable in Gen 2 & 3.

Trust me ... when braking over a bump when coming to a stop ... that was a braking transition issue.

Disconcerting the first time you experience it, but not dangerous at all.

I've experienced it a few times in 40K miles myself .... your dealer should have explained that to you.

Your traction control issues were mostly tire related.

REV

550 sounds good to me. It beats the hell out of 350, which is where I usually was when I had to fill up. I'd completely agree with you about the tires if I'd had any other problems with traction on a normal road. I never had any issues in rain or snow. I only ran into issues after a very light rain. Ultimately, it wouldn't have been worth getting new tires for me, as I was ready to move on. It sounds like the Gen 3's are definitely a step up from what I had.

Pete
Old 11-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #64
ThatFocusAgain
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103779
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford White ST

FF Reputation: 1 ThatFocusAgain Good Standing Member
the prius is uaually not very good at high speeds its built for city use. and max fuel eco with electric at stop and go.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #65
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
Definitely calling BS on that one. I have probably a dozen friends and customers who have a 2010+ Prius, whom I spoke to extensively about fuel mileage before buying my Focus. Every single one of them said mpg drops considerably once you go past 65mph, and at 80mph highway commute (yes I asked about this specifically since I was doing 120 miles a day at 80mph) the cars are only getting barely 40mpg. That's not much higher than my particular Focus, and some here have reported that high on their own cars.

Just like our cars are all over the place with mpgs, the Prius might be too if you are seeing 80mpg still at 80mph, but that is NOT common for those cars.
Oh ..... so the Prius mileage drops off over 65, but the Focus's doesn't ? ..... right. I have a Scanguage II in my Prius to monitor all the OBD2 data, and my Prius is right about 43 - 45 MPG at 80 depending on terrain of course. Same as any car.

ALL CARS MILEAGE DROPS OFF AS SPEEDS (and wind resistance) INCREASE. Even Focus's.

REV
Old 11-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #66
ThatFocusAgain
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103779
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford White ST

FF Reputation: 1 ThatFocusAgain Good Standing Member
i think we can all agree with that. any car over 65 looses. 65is prime for "most" cars.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #67
pje65
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99262
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 pje65 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post

On the day I traded in my Prius, I had to drive about 50 miles up to the Ford dealer. I probably averaged 75 mph for most of the ride. When I got there, the computer said I'd averaged about 52 mpg for the whole ride. It was probably the most fuel efficient trip I ever made in it. On the other hand, my Focus seems to get about 37-38 mpg at around 70 - 75 mph. I'm very happy with that.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #68
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94835
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatFocusAgain View Post
the prius is uaually not very good at high speeds its built for city use. and max fuel eco with electric at stop and go.
Thank you! That is pretty much what I conveyed in my earlier post from my own observations with highway driving a Prius. Some on here thought I was uneducated on the technology, but, you bring a Toyota tech, I guess you don't know what you're talking about either? Right.... LOL. its all good.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)
Old 11-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #69
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Your experience doesn't match mine after 40,000+ miles of ownership ..... mine excels on the highway, but mine is a Gen 3 which is far more highway oriented than the Gen 2's were.

The bigger and more powerful engine makes all the difference.

REV
Old 11-14-2012, 11:38 PM   #70
Power Surge
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55878
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE 5-door

FF Reputation: 1 Power Surge Good Standing Member
Quote:
Oh ..... so the Prius mileage drops off over 65, but the Focus's doesn't ? ..... right. I have a Scanguage II in my Prius to monitor all the OBD2 data, and my Prius is right about 43 - 45 MPG at 80 depending on terrain of course. Same as any car.

ALL CARS MILEAGE DROPS OFF AS SPEEDS (and wind resistance) INCREASE. Even Focus's.

REV
Did I say anything about the Focus mileage? You said the Prius gets almost double the mileage the Focus does at 80mph, and that's complete BS.
2008 Vista Blue SE (gone)
Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.