This Prius can't even sell itself... - Page 12 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #111
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
Someone has gone full derp.

Great contribution !! Thx

REV

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #112
Rockyherald
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100151
What I Drive: 2012 ZX5 SEL SONIC BLUE

FF Reputation: 1 Rockyherald Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebontoft View Post
we are never going to hear the end of this lol.

I hate it when people say "I'll never buy another X car again" so that pile of junk 80's car is going to drive like the current model year? you're missing out if you think that.

I drive all kinds of cars... 40's-'13s whatever come into the shop. I've formed the general opinion that anything can be a giod car if its been taken care of well, and anything can be a bad car. to restrain yourself from a single brand really is stupid.
Ok, I Just don't like Japanese cars. I did own a 2004 Mazdaspeed MX5, a good car for the most part. It did seem to have a bit of the Ford influence in it though as Ford was part owner of Mazda.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #113
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
All brands at least have one or two cars I consder cool but I've never been a brand whore and limit myself. I like the Focus and the mustang but some of the crap Ford has rolled out over the last 20 years has kept me away from them til recently.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #114
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pozi240 View Post
YOU inferred that, not him (or even his wife)... someone is tad bit oversensative and defensive. The Prius is a great city car, and by that, I mean, at speeds below 80km/hr, it gets great fuel ecomony and makes great sense for inner city dwellers. I drove one (2008 model, it was new then) a few years back on a road trip from Ottawa to St. Catherines and back, mainly on the 401/407/416 highway (median speed of 115km/hr and higher), and due to the lethargic tiny 1.5 gas engine, it needed BOTH the electric motor and gas engine combined to maintain highway speeds going up large inclines and hills... so, any economy "gained" going downhill, was quickly gobbled up going up the next hill and then some...
I calculated my economy and milage for the trip, and my "old" 2003 VW TDI Jetta actually would have used LESS fuel on the same trip, and diesel was cheaper per litre at the time as well. When you calculate the "Green" factor (from factory to junkyard), the TDI also comes out way ahead, but, that is another discussion... LOL
Again, they are great cars, for what they are, but, for highway commuting, they're are MUCH better options out there. Again, YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozi240 View Post
Please elighten me on how I can be "wrong", it's an opinion, and mine, not yours.. We're you there with me on that 1000km trip?? I never trashed the Prius once, I merely stated facts about mileage and economy, all based on facts. For my needs, the TDI was much more economical (I commute about 90% highway everyday ) and more powerful to boot. The previous gen Prius was a great car for a certain niche of the motoring public, but it wasn't the best , nor the be all, end all many would have us believe, and it certainly isn't the "answer" to high mpgs. The Hummer example for the "cradle to grave" argument is equally ridiculous and no one brought that up but yourself. I mentioned that other vehicles, like the TDI (especially the BlueTec) are greener in that argument, and that has been proven. Again, that really doesn't matter to most (or even myself, I race motorcycles and am in the military, using green arguments would make me a hypocrite, lol). I just stated it since a lot of Prius owners like to throw that in your face. Toyota makes reliable cars, the Prius is no different (although I wouldn't want to pay for new batteries out of warranty, but, that is more of a concern for used buyers), but this is a FoFo forum, the OP started this thread to poke fun at a funny situation, nothing more.
You and Revhigh seem to have a love affair with your Toyota, that's great, but continuing to defend them on a Ford forum and put down naysayers is just dumb really. I'm sure there is some great forums out there for that.
You're basically wrong about the Prius being bad as a highway car. It's a tremendous highway car that is designed to use the electric motor and gas engine all the time. One does need to learn to get the best fuel economy in a Prius, it's called "pulse and glide" look it up. As far as being "green" what really matters is the amount of fuel the car will use over its lifetime. So yes a VW TDI is quite "green" too, I didn't say it wasn't, but looking at MPG ratings it hardly comes out "way ahead" compared to a Prius and will use far more over its lifetime. The 2007 Prius is rated at 46 MPG combined. The only VW diesel I could find close to the 2007 Prius was a 2009 Jetta manual rated at 34 combined. I usually got 38-42 on the highway which is probably similar to what a VW diesel would get. One you leave the highway though that diesel's MPG is going to be much worse.

The battery thing is quite green as the batteries last a looooooong time, there's plenty with over 300,000 miles on them. They're recyclable and modular. When the battery gets bad it's usually one or two modules that can be replaced individually and it's also part of the emissions equipment and has a very long warranty mandated by federal law.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #115
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEnvy View Post
actually your perpetuating. back in 07 it was true just for the fact of the few numbers of prius produced which made their cost high.
When I bought my 2007 Prius in November 2006 gasoline had dropped to $1.75 a gallon, the federal tax rebate for high MPG cars had just been cut in half from $3,150 to $1,575 and Toyota lots were positively jammed with unsold Priuses. I bought mine for over $4000 under sticker price and had the $1575 tax rebate too. So I don't know what you're talking about when you say " few numbers of prius produced which made their cost high.". It's also laughable to say VW diesels get better MPGs. A used car is almost always better environmentally. Want to compare a used Prius to that used Subaru?

Old 11-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #116
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoGTI View Post
I feel like this completely defeats the purpose of owning a Prius lol.
Why? Driving with only one or two passengers defeats any pretensions of true fuel economy.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #117
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pje65 View Post
Damn, that looks good.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #118
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhigh View Post
Hey !!

When you can't argue the message with facts ... attack the messenger !!!

REV
That's always how it works. Get close to the truth and suddenly people "need to calm down". Good job Rev batting down the fragrant BS.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #119
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebontoft View Post
actually that would make sense then. they are so aerodynamic that any crosswind could have an effect on your mileage.
Wow, that's an entirely new one for me in the annals of irrational Fox News style Prius hate. Like all the other Prius myths it is of course complete BS.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #120
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEnvy View Post
First off, I wasn't talking to your happy butt...

But LOOK at the 2013 focus and fiesta. 40MPG! when the hell is the last time you actually looked up any new info on any other cars? a few years ago... sheesh!
Bzzzt wrong but thanks for playing. The real number to look at is the combined fuel economy number for a realistic look at the MPG number. 2013 Ford Fiesta SFE FWD is 33 combined, 2013 Ford Focus SFE FWD FFV is also 33 MPG. 2013 Prius combined MPG is 50 MPG.

Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->