IMPORTANT: ALL MK3 Focus Owners, I could use your input. - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #41
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,875, Level 32
Points: 2,875, Level: 32 Points: 2,875, Level: 32 Points: 2,875, Level: 32
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
You've checked your coolant overflow bottle to make sure that isn't the clunk, right? An ST owner (with the reinforcement plates) just eliminated a clunk he was dealing with by putting a wad of foam under the coolant overflow tank as a test.
Oh, yeah - I forgot about that! That fix was found on a 2012 Focus a LONG time ago... I'll check it out and let you know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #42
lforgue8
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99706
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus 5dr SE sport

FF Reputation: 1 lforgue8 Good Standing Member
has anyone taken the strut brace out for a test drive? seems to me if that was the cause....without it the clunk would get worse or go away all together......i too can fit a credit card between the body and the paper thin strut brace anywhere except near the bolts.....going to take survey!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #43
elwood125
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 17784
What I Drive: Mk 3 Blue Candy SE Sport 5spd Hatch

Points 1,075, Level 17
Points: 1,075, Level: 17 Points: 1,075, Level: 17 Points: 1,075, Level: 17
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 4 elwood125 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Ok guys. I've had this issue in the past as well and it's gone away since the weather got cooler. My 12 was built in April 11. My ford parts catalogue seems to say the part cutoff on the older one for my car (CV6Z-A) is from 1/31/11 to 3/19/12. Hope this is of some help.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #44
jamnesta
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 93256
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 jamnesta Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
Going off of the survey results, which can only be used for mere speculation, here's what I've noticed:

It's also looking like the first 3-4 months of 2012 Focus production (January-April) seem to have the reinforced strut tower brace, until sometime in May of 2011, which is when Ford started installing braces without the reinforcements.

The reinforced towers weren't added back into production until sometime in August for the 2013 models, at least that's what it seems.

Being that your car was produced between 05/11 and 08/12, it fits into the range where the reinforced strut towers went missing from production. As to why the reinforcements were left out, that's anyone's guess until Ford tells us exactly what is going on. And that's not something I'd bet on them doing.

Again, this is all from the survey results I have so far, so nothing is exact.
Seems as though the joke is on me as I insisted on the latest available build date in order to incorporate the most recent updates & improvements
Old 11-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #45
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 JCW GP

Points 2,504, Level 30
Points: 2,504, Level: 30 Points: 2,504, Level: 30 Points: 2,504, Level: 30
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Elwood, that's interesting. What's the date range on the new version (#DV6Z-16A200-A)? Also, would you mind throwing in a response to the survey?

I've been told directly that Ford is taking this very seriously; my survey spreadsheet has been passed on to body engineering, so all available information is pertinent.

To everyone else who has submitted a response, thank you!
Old 11-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #46
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,720, Level 66
Points: 9,720, Level: 66 Points: 9,720, Level: 66 Points: 9,720, Level: 66
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 26%
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
I'm not 100% sure now since I don't hear a clunkng symphony on smooth roads but I do hear the suspension working over the speed bumps on the way into or out of the apartment complex, sometimes louder than at other times (that's usually related to being either over 15 mph (if being basically pushed by a tailgating car), or 0-15 mph when its usually quieter as the suspension isn't rebounding quite as hard. Most of the other suspension videos I've seen/ heard didn't even sound like there was something obviously wrong, but then again it could be that based on my old car I may have classified something as normal when it may not be on the new one.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #47
elwood125
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 17784
What I Drive: Mk 3 Blue Candy SE Sport 5spd Hatch

Points 1,075, Level 17
Points: 1,075, Level: 17 Points: 1,075, Level: 17 Points: 1,075, Level: 17
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 4 elwood125 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I will do that soon, Dillon. I looked one up for an ST i had a vin # for and that part DV6Z specifies after 3/19/12
Old 11-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #48
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92314
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

Points 732, Level 14
Points: 732, Level: 14 Points: 732, Level: 14 Points: 732, Level: 14
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
OK
This morning it was TOTALLY clunk free when it was 52 degrees. That was with the credit card jammed tight into the space. Only the drivers side has the space, and only that side makes noise.
Usually when it is 52 degrees the thing rattles like a model T or a Farmall Cub tractor.
It goes away when it gets warm, but it takes pretty long. sometimes 15 minutes to get warm enough.
Interestingly, I was up at lake arrowhead this weekend and it was 33 degrees and there was no clunk at all. It started clunking again later in the day when it was a bit warmer.

Ill drive it again in about an hour when i go to lunch. It usually clunks and rattles like crazy when i hit the speed bumps and uneven pavement joints in the lot.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #49
Zillon
Focus Addict

Points 2,504, Level 30
Level Up 36% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
OK
This morning it was TOTALLY clunk free when it was 52 degrees. That was with the credit card jammed tight into the space. Only the drivers side has the space, and only that side makes noise.
Usually when it is 52 degrees the thing rattles like a model T or a Farmall Cub tractor.
It goes away when it gets warm, but it takes pretty long. sometimes 15 minutes to get warm enough.
Interestingly, I was up at lake arrowhead this weekend and it was 33 degrees and there was no clunk at all. It started clunking again later in the day when it was a bit warmer.

Ill drive it again in about an hour when i go to lunch. It usually clunks and rattles like crazy when i hit the speed bumps and uneven pavement joints in the lot.
Well, I just took a walk out to the lot and checked mine. I have a small gap on the driver side, but none on the passenger side, and the passenger side is where the clunk is.

I'll try putting something in the gap to see if it does anything, but you might have just gotten lucky with that.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #50
Zillon
Focus Addict

Points 2,504, Level 30
Level Up 36% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
I'm not 100% sure now since I don't hear a clunkng symphony on smooth roads but I do hear the suspension working over the speed bumps on the way into or out of the apartment complex, sometimes louder than at other times (that's usually related to being either over 15 mph (if being basically pushed by a tailgating car), or 0-15 mph when its usually quieter as the suspension isn't rebounding quite as hard. Most of the other suspension videos I've seen/ heard didn't even sound like there was something obviously wrong, but then again it could be that based on my old car I may have classified something as normal when it may not be on the new one.
Go test drive a new '13. Probably the easiest way to figure out just how normal your car's suspension is behaving.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.