IMPORTANT: ALL MK3 Focus Owners, I could use your input. - Page 14 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #131
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Thanks for the update, Zillon. I'm keeping an eye on this thread, but feel free to contact me (or your CSM) once you've put some additional miles on your Focus and feel confident in making some conclusions.

Have a happy Thanksgiving!
Crystal
Absolutely! I'll be doing some more thorough testing over the next several days, and will be updating this thread accordingly.

I do have a phone call scheduled for Nov 29th with my CSM to report my findings - I figured that would hopefully give me enough time to develop a valid conclusion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #132
BlazeFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104991
What I Drive: _

FF Reputation: 2 BlazeFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I've filled out the survey. My car has what appears to be the CV6Z member and was built in June of this year.

My Ti with sport handling package has demonstrated this noise, albeit intermittently, starting between 1000 and 2000 gentle miles. I've been in contact with Crystal and had subsequent follow-ups with the Regional folks but at this juncture I've not taken my car into the dealership. The reason for that is simple; dealerships operate on protocols and if the symptom isn't hard and fast repeatable they will disposition the complaint as "no trouble found". I've been through these types of scenarios before on other vehicles (not Ford) and have a keen awareness to letting things develop before escalating the issue. Having already heard that many on this forum have been confronted with responses from dealerships either as, "that's a normal behavior of the vehicle" or simply, "we can't duplicate your concern", I'm waiting this one out. My time is precious and coordinating with a dealership in the absence of an official TSB is utter nonsense. This issue exists, that is obvious, from the widespread reports and the changes in production configurations/design of parts. As long as dealerships are in the dark or adhering to strict protocols, I'd advise anyone to hold off wasting valuable time and personal energy until this situation is handled by Ford in an official, transparent way - unless of course you want to dedicate your own coin and turn some wrenches. If this issue was pronounced enough that it could be felt through the steering column, believe me, there would have been an entirely different response cycle to this issue by Ford. But as it stands, it falls more in line with that 12 month warranty clause of "rattles, fitment, etc..etc." and everyone should be clear, audible issues are harder to perceive because of the subjective nature of the human ear and easily relegated to lower priority on corporate to-do lists. I would contend, that this problem is more pervasive than this forum suggests; many people just aren't' internet savvy enough to join the conversation.

Hopefully all of Zillons hard work will pay off for the rest of us...

Thanks (a) Zillon!
And to Crystal, I hope this meets with all the seriousness deserved from the powers that be at Ford Motor Company.
So far you've been great but I am a tad bit suspicious of the business dynamics behind these types of "cost related" issues and the way corporate accountants advise how to handle them.
To some that is stating the obvious so I apologize but it bears being stated in the context of the bigger picture. Apart from safety recalls and major functional issues, most other things
in the subjective annoyance bucket are deemed a necessary evil to address on an "as needed" or "case-by-case" basis.

Everyone have a safe and happy Thanksgiving holiday!

Last edited by BlazeFocus; 11-21-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #133
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeFocus View Post
...And to Crystal, I hope this meets with all the seriousness deserved from the powers that be at Ford Motor Company. So far you've been great but I am a tad bit suspicious of the business dynamics behind these types of "cost related" issues and the way "corporate" chooses to hand them.
Hi BlazeFocus,

We are taking this very seriously. I have forwarded Zillon's information to my management team, who then gave it to the body engineering team for their action and response. I try to follow this thread (and others) very closely; when anyone identifies an area we can improve upon, I act on that information quickly and get it in the hands of the appropriate people.

I know a lot of people have been frustrated and that multiple service visits aren't anyone's idea of a fun way to spend their time. Our engineering team is hard at work, and as soon as I get an update I'll report back to the thread.

As always, if you have any questions or concerns, send me a PM and I'll see how I can help.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 11-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #134
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
I've filled out the survey. Though I had a very light clunk at one time, I no longer have it after re-torquing the mount bolts. Therefore, I indicated on the survey that I don't have the clunk. I realize I may have stretched the bolts slightly, but I'm not going to do anything about it until the clunk returns. I've put several thousand miles on the car since re-torque.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:26 PM   #135
Zillon
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
I've filled out the survey. Though I had a very light clunk at one time, I no longer have it after re-torquing the mount bolts. Therefore, I indicated on the survey that I don't have the clunk. I realize I may have stretched the bolts slightly, but I'm not going to do anything about it until the clunk returns. I've put several thousand miles on the car since re-torque.
What did you torque your bolts to, if I may ask?

To all who have been following this saga, my car is going under the knife again tomorrow morning. While the updated strut tower brace did help immensely with clunk issues, it didn't cure everything entirely. Also, I feel that my overtorquing of the strut mount bolts unfortunately caused something to fail within the strut mount assembly, causing a creak in the driver's side strut area.

I also believe that a new set of bearings and mounts will help alleviate any of my concerns that running without the reinforced strut brace might lead to premature strut mount/bearing wear. I'll be inspecting the parts after install for any signs of failure. The nice thing about this not being covered under warranty is that I can inspect all of the parts I remove.

So, I will be replacing the following:
- Strut bearings (AD-1094, Motorcraft part)
- Strut mounts (ST version, AD-1098, Motorcraft)
- Center strut nuts
- Strut mount bolts (M8x1.25 grade 10.9 flange bolt with OEM hardened steel spacers)

I'm hoping that this will be the last step. Everything will be torqued to factory spec once again.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #136
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Fan#: 87369
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport - 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 9 Shade-010 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
What did you torque your bolts to, if I may ask?

To all who have been following this saga, my car is going under the knife again tomorrow morning. While the updated strut tower brace did help immensely with clunk issues, it didn't cure everything entirely. Also, I feel that my overtorquing of the strut mount bolts unfortunately caused something to fail within the strut mount assembly, causing a creak in the driver's side strut area.

I also believe that a new set of bearings and mounts will help alleviate any of my concerns that running without the reinforced strut brace might lead to premature strut mount/bearing wear. I'll be inspecting the parts after install for any signs of failure. The nice thing about this not being covered under warranty is that I can inspect all of the parts I remove.

So, I will be replacing the following:
- Strut bearings (AD-1094, Motorcraft part)
- Strut mounts (ST version, AD-1098, Motorcraft)
- Center strut nuts
- Strut mount bolts (M8x1.25 grade 10.9 flange bolt with OEM hardened steel spacers)

I'm hoping that this will be the last step. Everything will be torqued to factory spec once again.
I hope it is also, your findings will likely be Music to our ears, and maybe get Ford off their ASSES to fix this issue finally.
http://www.rebeldevil.com
Old 11-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #137
Zillon
Focus Addict

Well, everything's installed. Fasteners are all torqued to spec. And the car drives... wonderfully silent. No clunking, no creaking, and nothing feels or sounds loose in the front end.

The center strut nuts were so overtorqued, an electric impact couldn't break them loose. I had to revert to an air impact to break those free. I believe this is where the creaking was coming from. Also, I found that I had overtorqued the sway endlink nuts.

Before everyone goes running to their dealer, remember that Ford needs to look at what I've done first before they'll approve any kind of fix. I have a phone appointment with my regional CSM on Thursday, November 29th; I'll be reporting my findings to her and Ford then. I'm hoping to be able to put a few more miles on the install and give the car a thorough shakedown to hopefully eliminate any potential problems.

Man, talk about a long-awaited sigh of relief.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #138
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Fan#: 87369
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport - 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 9 Shade-010 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Well, everything's installed. Fasteners are all torqued to spec. And the car drives... wonderfully silent. No clunking, no creaking, and nothing feels or sounds loose in the front end.

The center strut nuts were so overtorqued, an electric impact couldn't break them loose. I had to revert to an air impact to break those free. I believe this is where the creaking was coming from. Also, I found that I had overtorqued the sway endlink nuts.

Before everyone goes running to their dealer, remember that Ford needs to look at what I've done first before they'll approve any kind of fix. I have a phone appointment with my regional CSM on Thursday, November 29th; I'll be reporting my findings to her and Ford then. I'm hoping to be able to put a few more miles on the install and give the car a thorough shakedown to hopefully eliminate any potential problems.

+++++++^^ This
http://www.rebeldevil.com
Old 11-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #139
SaToX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94321
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 4 SaToX Good Standing Member
Quote:

Awesome :)
Old 11-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #140
Merrigan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 104581
What I Drive: 2013 Black SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 Merrigan Good Standing Member
Alright! Good work on the fix. Hopefully ford doesn't beat around the bush to much on this and it'll become a recognized fix in no time.

Sent from your mom's house.
Sonics MK3 Crew #21

Bookmarks & Social Networks