2013 engine "click click whir" (engine not running) - Page 11 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #101
fhannigan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106670
What I Drive: 2013 ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 fhannigan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Just got a 2013 focus friday for the wife. I thought she was crazy when she explained the noise you heard. We took it to the service dept today and they printed this out for me "2013 focus vehicles equipped with power shift dps6 transmission may experience noise from the transmission after doors are unlocked, opened and prior to engine start for up to 3 minutes. The noise is the transmission waking up and preparing for startup. Attempts to eliminate this noise should not be made". My problem is my focus also makes the noise when the engine is shut off for 3 minutes. The service dept. said not to worry. I'm not happy and looking into my options
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #102
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 slybarman Good Standing Member
I would say the options include a) getting freaked out about nothing or b) accepting that your new car makes different noises than your old car.

Sent from my Obamaphone using FF Mobile.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #103
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 11 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post
I would say the options include a) getting freaked out about nothing or b) accepting that your new car makes different noises than your old car.

You're beating a dead horse. I see you've only been here a month. You'll learn, grasshopper.
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 11-26-2012, 07:19 PM   #104
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 slybarman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaDnB View Post
You're beating a dead horse. I see you've only been here a month. You'll learn, grasshopper.
LOL. I am a glutton for frustration.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #105
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaDnB View Post

Truer words have never been spoken. The majority of us on here have issues.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:51 PM   #106
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchauvin1 View Post
My feelings the same. I'm not buying into any of it. The ceiling interior lights even dim down a bit when the clicking noise starts on my wifes brand new 2013 Focus.. Why the hell are we on this forum trying to find anwsers. Simply because Ford will not acknowlege this issue. Theres a bug in our vehicles 2013 Focus .PERIOD.
It isn't reasonable to conclude that there is a problem simply because some electro-mechanical part makes noise when you don't expect it to.

Keep in mind that virtually all actuators, motors, relays, etc. in the Focus are controlled by firmware.

Last edited by Kabigon; 12-02-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #107
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
This has devolved into an off topic complaint fest, please keep things civil, since this thread has gone too far off topic its time to reign it back in by deleting the off topic conversation. Please stick to the topic which was about the noises made by the car, which have been described as normal self calibration by Ford, but we've seen how they say everything is normal. However some of what they say sometimes makes sense.

If you cannot remain civil please take it elsewhere, either via private messaging or outside the forum.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #108
FordChickee
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106900
What I Drive: 2013 Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 FordChickee Good Standing Member
Smile My new 2013 Focus 4 door sedan S

Just got my new 13 Focus and I wanted to understand the same noise in the engine compartment as found here on the forum. I have read the explanations, though I didn't see any links in the posts to find a credible source to back up these explanations.

I guess I need a little bit more understanding before I take it on in to the dealer. First, the noise is made in cold state whether the driver or passenger door is open. So, what is the reasoning for it to "wake up" or get ready (whatever) if just the passenger door is opened. This does not make sense to me.

Also, why does the sound stop as soon as key turned to accessory position. Doesn't it feel like waking up anymore?
Old 12-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #109
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordChickee View Post
Just got my new 13 Focus and I wanted to understand the same noise in the engine compartment as found here on the forum. I have read the explanations, though I didn't see any links in the posts to find a credible source to back up these explanations.

I guess I need a little bit more understanding before I take it on in to the dealer. First, the noise is made in cold state whether the driver or passenger door is open. So, what is the reasoning for it to "wake up" or get ready (whatever) if just the passenger door is opened. This does not make sense to me.

Also, why does the sound stop as soon as key turned to accessory position. Doesn't it feel like waking up anymore?
Older cars never did this to this degree because, well, what did they have that was worth a pre-start procedure?

I can't explain why it stops in ACC mode, I can assure you it isn't "defective".

Many newer cars, especially those with direct injection, active aero, grille shutters and HPFP will make some kind of noise, each car is different. Each car has its own nuances with noises whether pre-start or post-shutoff.

Hell, my friends B8 S4 makes a sound that amounts to a circular saw powering down and thats just how it is, there isn't much magic to the sounds.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Old 12-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #110
able2358
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106565
What I Drive: 2012 focus

FF Reputation: 1 able2358 Good Standing Member
Took my wifes car to a different dealer,
Two techs and service advisor were baffled.
They reflashed the computer i belevieve it was 12b35b upgrade.
Makes same noise they said not to worry but agreed it wasn't normal.
Read some more on another site and this update was for those complaining about the car rolling backwards on hill starts.People are opting to not have this update just for this reason. Going to call dealer and see if it is possible to reflash the computer with an older version of the software. Anyone know if this is possible.

Bookmarks & Social Networks