HELP! Strange electrical issue, car won't start - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 835
What I Drive: 03 SVT (RS conversion)

FF Reputation: 4 hurtinfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
HELP! Strange electrical issue, car won't start

back story: I've been neck deep in an RS conversion....so my car has been "sitting" in the garage for about 2 months while I did all of the bodywork and paint on it. last week I went to pull the car out of the garage and when I turned the key I had NOTHING....so I checked voltage on the battery and it was super low....so I pulled the battery and put it on a charger....it wouldn't take a charge so I figured the battery was dead.

I went and bought a brand new battery off the shelf at the local parts store and tossed it in the car. BAM started up and backed it out of the garage. left it there for a couple days until I had time to put the fenders and front bumper back on so I could drive it.... moved it back in the garage to re-assemble just fine....then when I was done I got back in thinking I was finally going to take the maiden voyage, only the car wouldn't start!

Checked voltage, and I've got 12.4ish volts at the battery. it's doing some WEIRD stuff....I shot a video, hopefully someone can shed some light on what's going on here....

I did check the loom that goes from the roof into the hatch door, and no wires have broken through the insulation so that's not it.....

VID:

http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user...94229.mp4.html

Old 11-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53637
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

FF Reputation: 24 6SPD_soul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
There's a problem with your video link. Nevermind, it didn't load right the first time for some reason.

I think you should make damn sure that new battery is fully charged. It was sitting on a shelf for a long time at a store, and it didn't really charge in the time you had the car running. I know it has 12.4 volts, and that should easily start a car if all the batteries cells are there (and they should be with a new batter), but you never know.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
fakitol
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63209
What I Drive: 01 zx3 mtx,04 svt,01 zx3 atx, 02svt

FF Reputation: 1 fakitol Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
bad terminal connection clean them up just in case
Old 11-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
mikeeshaq
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72526
What I Drive: 2010 Transit Connect

FF Reputation: 15 mikeeshaq Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Please define ""only the car wouldn't start!""

Does that mean that the engine does turn over like normal except it does not start or does it mean it does not even turn over or turns over slowly
Old 11-09-2012, 05:06 AM   #5
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Couldn't watch video. User doesn't have access- blah blah blah.

What weird stuff is it doing exactly? Problems with the small ground wires on the neg terminal caused my cars's wipers to come on without the switch being on, and the radio was blasting, but the volume didn't work or something. I can't remember all the funny stuff it did.

Also, as Mikeeshaq asked: Is this a no crank issue, or crank but not start?

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

it is a no-crank issue. Here's what's going on in the video....

get in car

insert key, turn to on position

hear fuel pump prime, and the chime

depress clutch, chime goes away, dash dims

attempt to start, dash goes black, then flickers while a distinct ticking sound appears

while key still in "on" position, if brake pedal is depressed dash goes black and radio resets

those little ground wires off the negative teminal all seem to be good (and were not tampered with aat any point)

I'll try cleaning the terminals and possibly removing the small grounding wires and cleaning the contact surfaces.....

For what it's worth.....the day this all happened it was about 40 degrees when I first moved the car to put the front clip back together, and about 30 degrees with frost developing later that night when I had it finally together and tried to hop in for a drive...

(battery is BRAND NEW)
Old 11-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

ended up being dirty/corroded cable ends and dirty/corroded ground wire connections on the framerail. GOT IT!

Bookmarks & Social Networks