To ST or not ST.. That is the question... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-27-2014, 08:23 PM   #1
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

Points 12,568, Level 73
Points: 12,568, Level: 73 Points: 12,568, Level: 73 Points: 12,568, Level: 73
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
To ST or not ST.. That is the question...

So I have my exactly three year old SE. I decide maybe I want a ST.
Well no ST to be had in the form "I" want.
(which is tangerine scream, base model, only option is the sunroof.) Which is around $26,000 retail.
So I find a dealer who actually still CAN order one (the mysteries of dealer/Ford relations are really really deep and mysterious) "Allocation' is everything.

Anyway I go there and show my car they give me a number. I am...?
They part with $1,250 willingly right up front on the ST price, and Add in $2K Ford cash being handed out but only up through Sept1
(Another great mystery has been resolved wherein Ford used to screw car ordering folks over rebates passed. But now the 'new' Ford is letting the ordered car for a customer to KEEP the rebates if valid at signing. (so the do NOT expire while the car is being built. They are guaranteed!!!!!)

So I go look at a base ST they just got in (blue not a color for my taste anyway, and no moonroof.) I could not drive it (they mentioned it was already sold, and I would not expect them to let me drive it.) But to sit in it was nice. The seats ARE identical to my SE sport package seats, except they include the ST logo sewn in.

I fantasized in in orange.. Anyway we were $1,000 apart when I went home to think about it. They agree they are not giving me a fair shake as my car is a manual. So they say it is not a big seller etc.. Hey I am buying another manual and I have to ORDER it?
Even if the hit my mark, I tonight have not made up my mind if I will jump or fold.
The St would be (if I get my grand) in the end $15,000 (with $3K of that rolled over from my current loan (this includes the state taxes etc.)
... if my car was actually paid off the ST would be an additional $12,000 over the then free to keep.. 2012 SE.

Now is a two year newer and brand new ST worth $12K more than my three year old beauty.
Only I can decide.
I still like my yellow baby very much.

If I were rich I could have them both.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2014, 08:52 PM   #2
felixthecat
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 10,552, Level 68
Points: 10,552, Level: 68 Points: 10,552, Level: 68 Points: 10,552, Level: 68
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 59 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
It would be 3yrs newer unless they find one & do a dealer swap. $12K + yr '12 model w/ a stick? You could look at used ones w/ similar mileage as yours & then check the price difference. As far as your being a stick vs the st= the st is a performance car & it would have a stick & they know it. Of course you know you'd be upside down. Just to add= Have you looked at used st's? What do they go for? You seem pretty smart, not to jump on this deal.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 08-28-2014, 01:23 AM   #3
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Points 12,568, Level 73
Level Up 30% Completed
Forum Activity 23%
Used ST's? Used?
I can even find any 'new' ones let alone a used one which would also be a base model and only a sunroof. (In Tangerine Scream of course.)
(I would state up front if I am gonna throw ten thousand away it should AT LEAST be exactly what i really want.) Otherwise I may as well be driving a Buick.

So far i went to lay down and was strongly on the side of No I am not gonna sell my car. To thinking over how much I have enjoyed the sporting versions of cars much more than the previous non sporting version.
(Owning the Contour SVT was a lot of fun)
I think I am going all in and either I get the $1K more for my SE or I fold. IF they give be the $1K additional I will buy.
They KNOW it is worth the $1K more And even said so.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:41 AM   #4
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 3,772, Level 38
Points: 3,772, Level: 38 Points: 3,772, Level: 38 Points: 3,772, Level: 38
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Now is a two year newer and brand new ST worth $12K more than my three year old beauty.
Of course it isn't... Not even close.

But then again a new car purchase is often based on irrational thinking (i.e. a want and not a need).
Are you not happy with your current Focus?

The "newness" of a car and the initial excitement of ownership will wear off over time.
Perhaps it simply comes down to how much money you can afford to light a match to.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:36 AM   #5
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 9,874, Level 66
Points: 9,874, Level: 66 Points: 9,874, Level: 66 Points: 9,874, Level: 66
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 70 sailor Excellent Standing Member
3 yrs. and the end of full warranty is often when folks consider a trade.

Is the extra fun, warranty, worth it?

Only your budget can tell for sure.

Your great condition trade should deserve a premium trade in price, holding out for a good $ in trade makes sense.

S.R. #275
Old 08-28-2014, 03:47 AM   #6
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 3,772, Level 38
Points: 3,772, Level: 38 Points: 3,772, Level: 38 Points: 3,772, Level: 38
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
3 yrs. and the end of full warranty is often when folks consider a trade.

Is the extra fun, warranty, worth it?

Only your budget can tell for sure.

Your great condition trade should deserve a premium trade in price, holding out for a good $ in trade makes sense.
Considering the reliability track record of the current Focus (especially with a MT), it seems that the warranty part of the new car equation may not be worth very much, especially with a car that is well maintained and doesn't have a ton a miles on it.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:58 AM   #7
roswelltop
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83279
What I Drive: 2013 SGM SE HATCH, 5 Spd Man

Points 1,334, Level 20
Points: 1,334, Level: 20 Points: 1,334, Level: 20 Points: 1,334, Level: 20
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 1 roswelltop Good Standing Member
I've kicked around the thought of going ST myself. Like you, I have 5spd hatch, and like you, I would most likely go ST1 with sunroof, and in the most recent round of Ford rebates, I've seen this model in dealers' on line inventories in the Atlanta metro for $21-22k, which is very attractive. (As of this morning, one dealer has 9 ST's, but about 6 are ST1's, no sunroofs. )

I am strongly attracted to the ST's appearance. I have fantasized about opening my garage door and seeing the PB ST, the badging, the center twin exhaust and the slotted spoiler on the hatch. I've imagined getting into the car, pushing the start/stop button and firing up the 252 horses. It's all very appealing.

In addition, I don't have to worry about snow, and when Atlanta ices over, my car stays garaged until the end of the demolition derby.

Ultimately for me, logic takes over and the decision boils down to my own driving versus cost. I drive about 10-12,000 miles per year, and probably 90% of that is within a radius of 5-10 miles per trip, over city streets with 35-45 mph speed limits.

Comments from several ST owners suggest that in day to day city driving, the ST fun factor is kind of lost, that the fun doesn't really kick in until you're in "boost" and with my driving needs I may as we'll save my money and stick with my modded SE. So for now it's settled. No ST.

The next round of temptation for me will likely come around the end of the year, when winter weather keeps people at home, dealers drop prices and I find a filthy PB ST1 setting out in the cold. And the fantasy of opening my garage door takes over once again.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:08 AM   #8
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 23,770, Level 94
Points: 23,770, Level: 94 Points: 23,770, Level: 94 Points: 23,770, Level: 94
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Being someone who has made the switch, I would do it again in a heartbeat. The platform is just so much more fun and lively, stock vs stock. It's a car that can be a blast when you want it to but can also be tame like the SE when you don't want it to.

If the dealership is aware that they should be giving you more though, I would wait for more.
2014 FiST-
Old 08-28-2014, 04:42 PM   #9
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Points 12,568, Level 73
Level Up 30% Completed
Forum Activity 23%
Today I let the dealer wait. They called me at 4PM and we talked. I basically said I probably will not buy the ST. And two reasons: I did not get to drive an ST, which he said i could do and I agreed to come in tomorrow. And also the price on my trade in. On the price he said he would talk to his used car guy. But did not commit to any improvement in the trade price. (Now he had said he would do that before our call.. yesterday) So I do not think there is going to be a real improvement in the value.

Which would actually kill the deal.
Mainly it is due to my car NOT being just like all the other drab POS they sell. It is a brightly colored unusual car, and has a manual tranny. Also not for everyone.
Why is that a problem. Anyone who also hates the endless drab colors would love it. As for the manual. Hell, I am trading it in for a new manual! I expect some respect for the manual tranny, Not "well it is worth way less since no one drive a manual anymore".
I do. And so does everyone on this ST board
Old 08-28-2014, 06:59 PM   #10
Kevon.Myers
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 179705
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black ST

Points 70, Level 1
Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Kevon.Myers Good Standing Member
Bottom line is if you can afford it you should do it! But they should definitely let you drive one first (because that will only make you want one more). I traded my 2012 focus s (manual) for a base model ST (black with a sunroof) and I don't regret a thing!

Bookmarks & Social Networks