50k on an Autozone tensioner/pulley.... - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
a_2000_se
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62964
What I Drive: 2000 SE SOHC SPI, Compression @ 164

FF Reputation: 15 a_2000_se Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
50k on an Autozone tensioner/pulley....

I've got nearly 50k on an Autozone tensioner and pulley and Idler pulley. Is this about the time to consider replacing it with another Autozone lifetime part? I got a chirp for the first time at start-up two days ago. It was rpm dependent and went away after a couple minutes. Wasn't a belt squeal but a chirp - like a bearing maybe, or metal-to-metal.

It hasn't done it again since so I can't remove the accessory belt to see if it is a part driven from that belt. I could remove the belt anyway and see if the tensioner/idler/alternator/p.s. pump pulley's are rotating rough......

But what kind of mileage are you getting out of an Autozone tensioner pulley and the idler pulley?

Replaced #4 Piston, Rings, Rod+Bearings, AERA Re-Manufactured Cylinder Head and a light Hone. Then CLEANED the hell out of everything.
60k+ miles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
Mitch1989
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105151
What I Drive: 2001 Zx3

FF Reputation: 3 Mitch1989 Good Standing Member
If its free, why not do it? Just my opinion anyways.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
Thugology101
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96051
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy 5dr

FF Reputation: 1 Thugology101 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch1989 View Post
If its free, why not do it? Just my opinion anyways.
Lifetime warranties aren't that. That's exactly the kind of warranty abuse that makes it tough to exchange a legitimately bad part, and causes prices to continue going up all the time.. The warranties cover actual failure of the part, not eh why not. You're a great example.
2012 Red Candy SE 5dr Sport. Sportline SPP control arms. Flowmaster. K&N CAI. 35% tint. Steeda STS Bracket. Fosgate Punch/Reaper amps. JVC Double DIN Touchscreen. Titanium engine cover. E-Focus RMM. 18x8 Rockstar Car.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
Mitch1989
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thugology101 View Post
Lifetime warranties aren't that. That's exactly the kind of warranty abuse that makes it tough to exchange a legitimately bad part, and causes prices to continue going up all the time.. The warranties cover actual failure of the part, not eh why not. You're a great example.
I see your point, but a AutoZone part with 50,000 miles that could be the culprit doesn't sem like abusing a lifetime warranty to me. If it was less likely to be the culprit I'd be on your side of the fence.

I just know my experience with AutoZone parts. At 50,000 I'd be leaning heavily towards that

Old 10-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
"Lifetime Warranty" isn't the lifetime of you or your car.
It's lifetime of the part. Every part made has a usable life expectancy. For rotating parts, it's based on rotations under normal conditions. How many or what normal conditions are, I can't tell you. What I can tell you is that nothing will last forever.
And 50,000 miles on the cheapest of the cheap parts, I would say it's faired pretty well.
Buy new ones now and go another 50K.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #6
Mitch1989
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
"Lifetime Warranty" isn't the lifetime of you or your car.
It's lifetime of the part. Every part made has a usable life expectancy. For rotating parts, it's based on rotations under normal conditions. How many or what normal conditions are, I can't tell you. What I can tell you is that nothing will last forever.
And 50,000 miles on the cheapest of the cheap parts, I would say it's faired pretty well.
Buy new ones now and go another 50K.
This is what I'm saying. I'm not saying every oil change to go claim a replacement part. But like he said, 50,000 miles on a cheapo part is probably the life expectancy.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:11 AM   #7
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Personally, I abuse them for every LW part they have if needed. Some, like alternators and starters, I prefer to have done elsewhere because the quality is so bad. The business model is like this: sell lots of parts with a LW, but only 20% actually come back for a second one, then only 5% of the original come back for a 3rd. The companies are making money off of it- don't worry about that. Autozone stock is not going to drop because you used their LW part and got a free one after it failed. Sure, they would prefer that we all fill up our cars with LW parts, and then have wrecks, but statistically it works for their benefit much more than it works out for us or they wouldn't do it.

I even cleared it on the brakes and rotors when I purchased those for the wife's van from O'Reilleys. "Lifetime warranty rotors and pads?"; "Yes"; "You do realize that I'll be replacing rotors every time I do brakes, right?"; "Yes"; "Ok then" 15k miles later and I'm still not close to needing a new set. I just purchased a full LW (by Wagner) brake set for the ZXW. My last FMC set lasted 90k miles (yay big brakes), so I'll see how long the Wagner's last. I bet half the FMC, and if the braking power is reduced, I'll go back to FMC regardless of warranty.

There's no need to worry about increasing the cost of parts around the nation by using a lifetime warranty to get a new part when the old one fails. Parts are more likely to go up in price due to shipping or labor costs first.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:20 AM   #8
Mitch1989
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
Personally, I abuse them for every LW part they have if needed. Some, like alternators and starters, I prefer to have done elsewhere because the quality is so bad. The business model is like this: sell lots of parts with a LW, but only 20% actually come back for a second one, then only 5% of the original come back for a 3rd. The companies are making money off of it- don't worry about that. Autozone stock is not going to drop because you used their LW part and got a free one after it failed. Sure, they would prefer that we all fill up our cars with LW parts, and then have wrecks, but statistically it works for their benefit much more than it works out for us or they wouldn't do it.

I even cleared it on the brakes and rotors when I purchased those for the wife's van from O'Reilleys. "Lifetime warranty rotors and pads?"; "Yes"; "You do realize that I'll be replacing rotors every time I do brakes, right?"; "Yes"; "Ok then" 15k miles later and I'm still not close to needing a new set. I just purchased a full LW (by Wagner) brake set for the ZXW. My last FMC set lasted 90k miles (yay big brakes), so I'll see how long the Wagner's last. I bet half the FMC, and if the braking power is reduced, I'll go back to FMC regardless of warranty.

There's no need to worry about increasing the cost of parts around the nation by using a lifetime warranty to get a new part when the old one fails. Parts are more likely to go up in price due to shipping or labor costs first.

Some of the mini-truck guys around here share their LW on all their truck parts. These guys with bagged trucks running compressors all day burning their alternator out.

I'm pretty sure I'd never do that, but AutoZone has bigger things to worry about than someone claiming a LW on a 50,000 mile part.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:34 AM   #9
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
LOL some mini-truck guys have no sense. An external VR and beefed up alternator would solve the problem forever. Who wants to be changing out alternators regularly- regardless of how easy or free it might be?

I know, I know. A long time ago I had a brief conversation with a "lowrider" club when I was a kid. "So how do you guys lower your trucks?"; "That's easy, we just cut the springs"; "OH, so you soak the springs partially in water while using a torch to cut"; "No, we just torch them, why would we do that?(snicker)"; "Because if you don't, you alter the crystalline structure of the steel weakening it and greatly reducing the spring capacity"; "You're stupid Alex, leave us alone, we have important things to discuss here." It's no wonder that one of them nearly died when sparks from the chassis ignited a leaking fuel tank from a botched fuel pump job.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:48 AM   #10
Mitch1989
Focus Enthusiast

Lol. The guys around here would probably benefit time wise by just dropping the money on a good alternator. But they do build their stuff right...at least for the most part. No spring cutting here...lol.

Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks