Car wont start. Calling all pro's - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #1
g33tar
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 118797
What I Drive: '01 Focus ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 g33tar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Car wont start. Calling all pro's

Hey guys. Back again. Hoping yall can impart some of your wisdom on me again. Seem to save me every time.

Alright so, on my way to work this morning, about 10 minutes into the drive my 2001 ZTS Zetec started to feel a little fluttery when I'd take my foot off the gas. Went on for about 2 minutes until I decided to get off the highway. The car soon died nearafter on the side of the highway.

Once it died, it would not re-start. It turns over like a grand champion. Just fine. The fuel pump was replaced about 3000 miles ago and has run perfectly since (until now). Can hear the fuel pump priming when I turn the key. Car has a quarter tank of gasoline.

Are there any typical things I should be looking for here? Since replacing my fuel pump, the car has literally run perfectly. Im so pleased with it. Hope you can point me in the right direction!

Alex

EDIT: I just went outside to try to start it again (has been sitting the past 8 hours) and it started right up. Afraid to go drive it around to see if it works alright..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
Highball116
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 112564
What I Drive: 2005 Red ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 Highball116 Good Standing Member
You might have cracked open a vacuum line. If you have your car there you can do a visual check of the lines, or failing that, the old cigar trick. Take off a line, smoke the cigar, and blow the smoke into the system till you see it trailing out. Can you find out if it's holding any codes?

Toby
Old 05-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
g33tar
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 118797
What I Drive: '01 Focus ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 g33tar Good Standing Member
Yea there's no codes and no CEL. Ill have to check out the lines. Thanks
Old 05-15-2014, 04:46 PM   #4
Marde
Focus Addict

Fan#: 115991
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

FF Reputation: 7 Marde Good Standing Member
Yeah, but vac leaks should not be a No Start condition. Especially considering the way it fell out of the sky... and now seems to be a problem only when hot? I'm guessing more like electrical. Pull out your ign coil, offer it a glass of wine, and put on some good music. Inspect the ign coil very closely, looking for hairline cracks. Check car wiring health going into the coil. Check spark plug wires? Do a good and slow visual inspection of the engine bay.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:37 PM   #5
Bills86e
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119322
What I Drive: 2000 green SE, 2007 Kappa Speedster

FF Reputation: 1 Bills86e Good Standing Member
Its a non-interference engine, the timing belt may have broke. Take the passenger side top cover off and see.
(disreguard,I just read your edited #1 post)

If the fuel pump itself was replaced, the module's aged internal hose may have sprung an internal leak and you may have low fuel rail pressure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=064Ilsz8Fzg

Last edited by Bills86e; 05-16-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:32 PM   #6
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Getting codes read may help, "pending" codes can be stored for a condition that didn't last long enough while running to set a "CEL".

(One odd possibility is the crank position sensor, Marde's fail when hot comment brought that to mind - wouldn't replace unless a code confirmed)

S.R. #275

Bookmarks & Social Networks