2005 ZX5 Rear Suspension Question - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-03-2014, 07:12 PM   #1
Userdenied
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116334
What I Drive: '13 Black Ti Hatch 5-Speed

FF Reputation: 5 Userdenied Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2005 ZX5 Rear Suspension Question

I've a questions that hopefully will be rather straight forward. I have tried to search for them but I want to make sure I have my terminology right so I can get the right parts and do the right research.

My wife drives a 2005 ZX5 and the rear suspension is basically shot. I am trying to do research on how to replace it but I am unsure if her car has struts or shocks in the back. Can anyone answer this, and also maybe briefly explain the difference between a shock and a strut?

Last edited by zetecDon; 02-03-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
Tdubbs1989
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116903
What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver SVT #695

FF Reputation: 2 Tdubbs1989 Good Standing Member
The front of the vehicle has struts, while the rear will have shocks. Struts have a plate welded to the shock body that is a seat for a spring, which is then retained by a top plate/bearing which allows the front suspension to turn. Shocks have only a hole on the bottom for a bolt to pass through and a stud on top that passes through the body with rubber isolaters and uses a nut on the topside. The rear shocks are easy, one bolt on the bottom and a nut on top behind the carpet in the rear hatch area.

As to the hatch struts I believe they are of a standard type, I haven't looked to closely as mine still work so someone may chime in if I'm wron on that one.
#695 of #4788
Old 02-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #3
GreySkorpion
saved from the grave

Fan#: 94674
What I Drive: 2004 LG ZX5 2.3D

FF Reputation: 11 GreySkorpion Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
For the actual hatchback struts, there is nothing special about replacing them, fairly easy.

Your car has struts on the front and shocks on the rear. On our cars, the front "strut" has a coil spring that sits on the strut, secured by a upper strut mount that has ball bearings built into it.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:48 AM   #4
Userdenied
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdubbs1989 View Post
The front of the vehicle has struts, while the rear will have shocks. Struts have a plate welded to the shock body that is a seat for a spring, which is then retained by a top plate/bearing which allows the front suspension to turn. Shocks have only a hole on the bottom for a bolt to pass through and a stud on top that passes through the body with rubber isolaters and uses a nut on the topside. The rear shocks are easy, one bolt on the bottom and a nut on top behind the carpet in the rear hatch area.

As to the hatch struts I believe they are of a standard type, I haven't looked to closely as mine still work so someone may chime in if I'm wron on that one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySkorpion View Post
For the actual hatchback struts, there is nothing special about replacing them, fairly easy.

Your car has struts on the front and shocks on the rear. On our cars, the front "strut" has a coil spring that sits on the strut, secured by a upper strut mount that has ball bearings built into it.
Thanks for the info guys, this clears it up nicely! Hatch is something I will definitely tackle on my own, and it's sounding like the rear shocks may be as well.

Would you guys suggest OEM replacement shocks, or are there better aftermarket options?
Old 02-04-2014, 08:38 AM   #5
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Id only go after market if you plan to match them at all four corners and even then I'd only get a performance shock if you were getting new springs too.

For daily driving, i would just stick to OEM replacements (try rockauto for best oem prices), no point replacing the springs unless they are damaged.

If you want an upgrade, the SVT kit is a good price for a nice setup
http://www.c-f-m.com/performancepart...n-Kits-c98.htm
Old 02-04-2014, 09:44 AM   #6
sykozis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 137929
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 sykozis Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdubbs1989 View Post

Location of the spring, has nothing to do with whether or not a vehicle has struts. The Mustangs have struts on the front, with a remote located spring. A strut is a shock that also provides a pivot point for the steering, such as the "McPherson strut" suspension used on the Mustangs where the strut acts as a shock and replaces the upper control arm.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #7
dave89iroc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 137681
FF Reputation: 2 dave89iroc Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykozis View Post
Location of the spring, has nothing to do with whether or not a vehicle has struts. The Mustangs have struts on the front, with a remote located spring. A strut is a shock that also provides a pivot point for the steering, such as the "McPherson strut" suspension used on the Mustangs where the strut acts as a shock and replaces the upper control arm.
Correct, easy way to think of it, if the damper(shock/strut) can be removed without any effect on the rest of the suspension, it is a shock, if it actually supports parts of the suspension, its a strut
Old 02-04-2014, 10:31 AM   #8
Userdenied
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
Id only go after market if you plan to match them at all four corners and even then I'd only get a performance shock if you were getting new springs too.

For daily driving, i would just stick to OEM replacements (try rockauto for best oem prices), no point replacing the springs unless they are damaged.

If you want an upgrade, the SVT kit is a good price for a nice setup
http://www.c-f-m.com/performancepart...n-Kits-c98.htm

As this is the wife's DD no need to go with any kind of performance upgrade, we have my MK3 Ti for the more 'spirited' experience. :P I was mainly wondering if there were certain brands that offered upgrades in terms of 'quality' and 'longevity'. I'll check out rock auto though, and then move on from there. :)
Old 02-04-2014, 11:29 AM   #9
sykozis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 137929
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 sykozis Good Standing Member
The average lifespan of a shock or strut, all things being equal, will be roughly the same. Worn out springs and rough roads are the easiest way to shorten the lifespan of a shock or strut. If you're only going to be replacing the rear shocks, Motorcraft (OEM) shocks are the best route.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #10
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Userdenied View Post
I was mainly wondering if there were certain brands that offered upgrades in terms of 'quality' and 'longevity'.
The only upgrades you're gonna find for a Focus are performance upgrades, which is a euphemism for stiff. To retain the stock ride/comfort/handling, Monroe SensaTrac is your best option (unless you want to pay your Ford dealer 4x as much for Motorcraft shocks).

Not sure what else is "shot" on your rear suspension. But if I could go back to the days when my Focus was only 8 years old, I'd remove the LCA cam bolt, wirebrush the hell out of that puppy, and then bathe it in axle grease.

Bookmarks & Social Networks