Tune to clean up driveability, help MPG? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
bones33
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105414
What I Drive: '05 Silver ST

Points 354, Level 7
Points: 354, Level: 7 Points: 354, Level: 7 Points: 354, Level: 7
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 bones33 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Tune to clean up driveability, help MPG?

Hey all. New here and admittedly unfamiliar with tuners and the capabilities of them. I have a Scangauge which provides some basic information but that's it. Originally I thought that tuners opened up the PCM to enable on the fly adjustment on any parameter but it appears that you have to trust someone else to adjust the code to what they think you want from the logs.

I'm considering buying one but need to justify the cost with respect to thier capability. This, for an '05 ST, stealth air cleaner, stock, "70k on motor" I'm told.

I read about the fast idle, rpm hang on shifts, 2000rpm on clutch in coasting etc. and am experiencing this myself. Is it really "normal"? It is really, really annoying. Will an existing tune make the engine behave correctly, you know, like an engine should?

In addition, I'm looking for an MPG optimized tune when out of open loop/WOT mode. The aforementioned engine speed issues adversely affect MPG, also I'm noticing deceleration fuel cut will not start unless the engine is above like 3000rpm, I would like this to start at no higher than 2000rpm and end at 1200 or so.

Lastly, I would like a lean cruise mode where under a certain load like 65% the mixture trim goes lean to like 16 or 17:1 or so. Obviously open loop/WOT would be an optimized, safe mixture.

Please excuse my noobness. I'm just not that familiar with what these tuners can do and the terminology that goes with them - yet.

Any suggestions on how to acheive the above goals, or get close? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
matmatician
Cars&Corgis

Fan#: 81361
What I Drive: A ONE COLOR FOCUS, Ducatis

Points 7,050, Level 55
Points: 7,050, Level: 55 Points: 7,050, Level: 55 Points: 7,050, Level: 55
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 4 matmatician Good Standing Member
Hey Bones!

Tom is the guy to go to with this kind of stuff, his username is 1turbofocus. He's kinda the ECU Guru on here.

If you'd like, we're having a meet and greet at southcenter mall this coming sunday, you're more than welcome to look at my ECU tuner! You can look through all the options and get an idea of what its capable of that way. Also, there will be a member there who has an ST with a tuned ECU, so you can ask him all about it! It definitely sounds like you've done some research on this stuff, so no noobness :P

An ECU tune should help with hanging RPMs and MPG's though. I'm sure thats not out of the question!
ROTM June '13, PNW Crew #42, SR #245, Rally Rev #02
Old 11-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 50,442, Level 100
Points: 50,442, Level: 100 Points: 50,442, Level: 100 Points: 50,442, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 25%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bones33 View Post
I read about the fast idle, rpm hang on shifts, 2000rpm on clutch in coasting etc. and am experiencing this myself. Is it really "normal"? It is really, really annoying. Will an existing tune make the engine behave correctly, you know, like an engine should?
I can do you a tune that will cure these issues to your driving style and liking

Quote:
In addition, I'm looking for an MPG optimized tune when out of open loop/WOT mode. The aforementioned engine speed issues adversely affect MPG, also I'm noticing deceleration fuel cut will not start unless the engine is above like 3000rpm, I would like this to start at no higher than 2000rpm and end at 1200 or so.
Lets try a tune first then if we need to play with the fuel cuts we can trim them some , playing with the fuel cuts can change how the car drives , there are other / better ways to get a good MPG tune

Quote:
Lastly, I would like a lean cruise mode where under a certain load like 65% the mixture trim goes lean to like 16 or 17:1 or so. Obviously open loop/WOT would be an optimized, safe mixture.
This I wouldnt do in a tune , raising the A/F to anything above about 15 will run the EGT up a good bit and could damage things over long peroids of time , 16-17 would cause super high EGT , bucking , sluggish , spk knock , low mpg etc , fuel is there to cool the cyl as much as making power / torque

I charge 399.00 and 20.00 for the xcal3 , full custom tune and free tune updates as you add more NA mods , you also get my datalogging services where I can take over your laptop and set up the datalog list and do the first datalog like I was sitting in the car with you showing you how to use everything

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 11-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
bones33
Focus Enthusiast

Points 354, Level 7
Level Up 8% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Thanks matmatician, Felix made me aware of the meet. I will try but things are really busy here. I would so love to actually experience a well set-up car and tune. And take notes.

1turbofocus, that clears up alot. My wifes '89 240 would fuel cut at anything above 1200. It was kind of abrupt in traffic sometimes, kind of an on/off switch at times, but easy to drive around it 99.8% of the time.

As for the a/f at cruise, I understand some mfrs have done this in the past to improve mileage. Chevy used to do this on foreign market ecu's and is/was latent in domestic ecu's. Hondas VX motors went super lean in lean burn mode at low load and rpm which correspond with most highway driving and only one intake valve operation for high swirl. Not sure what lean ratios the D23 will handle well at light loads, you have a much better handle on this than I do.

Lycoming recommended down to as far as 22:1 at WOT high altitude cruise for fuel efficeincy. This resulted in low EGT's after passing through the spike in richer mixtures - but that is a whole 'nother can o' worms (little transitional response needed, constant load, very cold IAT, etc).

My driving cycle will be commuting and an occasional rip through the gears. I may do stock or ST autocross, limiting mods. The future commute will be a combo of a very short hop to a vanpool site or an 80mph 75mile drive one way. Temps will be between 28F and 125F. Will have to pass Calif smog inspections with little effort.

So I'm trying to make this decision: Just get a PCM update (last one was in late '05) at the Ford dealer at about $100 hoping it will clear up the driveability issue and increase MPG. Or get a tuner and hope the $400 will clean up the driveability, add MPG and be able to reset to stock to pass smog tests.

How would you spend your money?
Old 11-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Points 50,442, Level 100
Points: 50,442, Level: 100 Points: 50,442, Level: 100 Points: 50,442, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 25%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
I know what a tune will do for most cars so for me a a tune is worth the cost just for the datalogger which you have in another form it sounds like

In most cases the tune helps with idle , cruise , daily driving , performance

I can also cure your issues or find whats causing them with the tune and or datalogging

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 11-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
matmatician
Cars&Corgis

Fan#: 81361
What I Drive: A ONE COLOR FOCUS, Ducatis

Points 7,050, Level 55
Points: 7,050, Level: 55 Points: 7,050, Level: 55 Points: 7,050, Level: 55
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 4 matmatician Good Standing Member
Yep... I know a lot of members say that the tune is their favorite performance upgrade. I have yet to install mine, so I can't say for sure yet, but I know I'd spend the money on the tune as opposed to anything at the dealer. ever. lol

Also, if you can't make the meet, there's next month too! I don't think we're going anywhere anytime soon haha.
ROTM June '13, PNW Crew #42, SR #245, Rally Rev #02
Old 11-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
Marbs
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 49029
What I Drive: 2006 Red ZX3 SAP

FF Reputation: 4 Marbs Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
If you are buying a tune strictly for MPG NOT worth it. If you are buying it for driveability/power worth every penny.
2006 Focus ZX3 SAP, Draxas Header, FS Werks Flex pipe, MBRP exhaust, CAI, Tuned, Debaged, tinted windows, FRPP lowering kit, SVT 5-spoke wheels, Black Halo Projector Headlights, Niteshaded Side markers and tails, Mazda rear wiper, mustang antenna.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Points 50,442, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 25%
Not every tuner or every tune will show gains in MPG or performance , I have a lot of customers that have seen good gains in MPG and performance

A gain in better driveability alone should show gains in MPG because the engine is more efficient

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 11-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

Points 128,963, Level 100
Points: 128,963, Level: 100 Points: 128,963, Level: 100 Points: 128,963, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 75%
Activity: 75% Activity: 75% Activity: 75%
FF Reputation: 48 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Most of the time the loss in MPG's is from the driver putting his foot into it more to feel the added power. I do know the drivability went through the roof when I had my car tuned. So much better to drive that I wish I would have done it years ago. I highly recommend getting a tune even if that's the only mod a person does.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 11-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #10
bones33
Focus Enthusiast

Points 354, Level 7
Level Up 8% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Thanks for the responses everyone! I guess I'll just have to make one of the meets and discuss/drive with some of the locals. I think a tune is one of those things you just have to experience outside a discussion.

Yes, I'm a bit over the top as an mpg geek, but most of the really high mpg vehicles are decidedly not fun to drive. I bought the Focus because of reports that it was a good driving car, the significant aftermarket support and competent forums like FF. I think 40mpg is not out of the question. Even out of the D23.

The quest is on. Thanks guys!

Bookmarks & Social Networks