Who's got an ST? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current)

Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current) The place to chat about the 2.0L EcoBoost engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-04-2012, 12:39 AM   #1
karmakc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78622
What I Drive: 2004 Ag ZX3 D23E MTX

Points 1,875, Level 25
Points: 1,875, Level: 25 Points: 1,875, Level: 25 Points: 1,875, Level: 25
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 karmakc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Who's got an ST?

Hey hey new Focus ST owners...congrats on getting a sweet road rocket that can turn too!

My curiosity has grown over this car and I'd like to know more about the cars from the owner's perspective. Feel free to talk about the car's creature comforts, ride, handling, performance and ahem, even mileage.

Oh and bonus points for the folks who drove the Mark I FoFo's :)

Hatch Nation #135
Blazin' the Twisties #90
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 12:34 AM   #2
aernan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105907
What I Drive: 2013 performance blue ST3

FF Reputation: 2 aernan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
ST3 Owner Review

I bought the ST3 (highest trim package) last thursday. I have had the car for four days now and it now has 320 miles on the odometer.

We'll start with the bad parts. There is a slight rattle in the ceiling where your sunglasses go. I'm sure the dealer will fix that and the car stinks like a new car. Which is a smell I know many people like but I personally don't. Everything else about the car is either good or great.

Driving the car the power comes on strong in the low RPMs and just keeps on pulling all the way up the tach. It feels like they took a small engine and added torque somehow and where the torque would normally peter out in the 4.5-5K band the turbo kicks in and takes it up to 6800 (I don't think I've been that high on the tach yet). If you could visualize a bell curve then someone filled in the left and right sides of the curve to make it a flat line. I've never driven a car that performs anything like that. It's really impressive.
Under acceleration if you short shift and cruise up to speed the engine is almost silent. Good for long distance driving. If you accelerate hard the exhaust starts out with a strong low frequency noise which is then replaced with the high pitch exhaust sound which I believe is artificial but still sounds great. At no time can you hear the turbo which is kinda odd but nice.
Another unexpected bonus is that it has six gears and so much torque that you can drive it up to 3k or 3.5K and short shift it though the gears. Which I would expect to build up the speed to 4-5K then shift.

The electronics are well integrated. The button layout and selection for all the functions is well thought out and many of the key functions can be accessed multiple ways. It has been a bit overwhelming learning how to use all the bells and whistles (navigation, Cell integration, FM and Cirius radio, etc.). The navigation has some nice features. When you approach a turn it gives you two views. A top down of the map and a close up. Or if your on the freeway it shows a rendering of all the lanes with a line through the correct lane to make the interchange including rendered signs. When selecting a route you have three choices. Fastest, Shortest and Eco. It also seems to have some traffic integration.

The interior is very modern. Mine has the all leather option. It's black. I generally would not get an all black interior because it gets very warm in the summer. It was not available with any other colors. The drivers seat on the ST3 is full electric with the passengers being manual. The both have seat heaters that have 5 levels of warmth. The headrests are angled forward and I'm not sure how I feel about them. The seats have very tall lateral supports as well as side cushion supports. I've never owned a car with race seats. For driving hard these are perfect. For long distance driving they will be uncomfortable for sure. The rear seats are a regular bench not bucket and that's perfect. They also fold forward to make space. Which is very practical because the trunk is not terribly large. The trunk has a carpeted floor and below is a full sized spare surrounded by two foam inserts that contour the tire and hold the Sony amplifier. They have many small squarish pockets in them to store things. No jack or tools in sight I need to go do some more digging to find those.

When driving the car you immediately notice that the side mirrors are excellent. They are both large and have a small outer portion that is convex and gives a wide angle view to eliminate the blind spot. Very nice touch there ford. The rear mirror is manual flip for highs but it is sufficient to see out the back. If someone sits in the middle seat your view is blocked.

The carpets in the front are attached to the floor with plastic plugs. They look quite flimsy. I'm probably going to get some weathertech ones that will put up with dirt and mud better.

Other nice options are the color accent lights. They are in the door handles, the cup holders in the center console, the door pockets and the drivers/passengers feet area. You can select from Red, Blue, Teal, White, Green, Yellow, Orange I believe. When you open the door they turn Red. I'm assuming it's so other drivers can see your door is open so they don't clip it when passing you on the side of the road. Great idea. The lights are dimable but I have mine on full.

As far as fuel economy I drive a Range Rover 4.6 HSE which gets 16 MPG and that's just a crime. So the focus is now getting me ~24 MPG which is a major improvement. My neighbor bought the SEL model and he is getting 32 MPG. So if you really need the fuel economy a ST not for you.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
karmakc
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,875, Level 25
Level Up 75% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Congratulations on joining the FF community!

I enjoyed your review, it was both informative and candid. You should consider doing another after you've put more miles on the car. How much was the out-the-door price?
Hatch Nation #135
Blazin' the Twisties #90
Old 11-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
TheDarkness03
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 67488
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue ST2

FF Reputation: 1 TheDarkness03 Good Standing Member
i have had my ST2 for about two weeks now. the car is amazing, comfortable and fun to drive. the only gripes i currently have are the headlights are a joke, not nearly enough light comes out of them (i dont have the HID's) and the fog lights dont seem to stay on after you turn off the vehicle, gets a little annoying to turn them on every time. i also expected a little bit better fuel economy. i've been seeing 21mpg the last couple tanks, but i also commute to work through a canyon road...hopefully the freeway numbers will be closer to what it says on the window sticker...

2003 Screaming Yellow SVTF (EAP) - SOLD
2003 Dark Shadow Grey SVT COBRA - SOLD
Old 11-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
Fiddy3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105960
What I Drive: 2023 black focus st

FF Reputation: 1 Fiddy3 Good Standing Member
Hey guys,

New ST2 owner here. I have a few "gripes" with my car. Biggest is the location of the interior trunk pop button, it is like 2mm below the fog light button, and being the fog light whore I am, I literally pop the trunk every time I turn on the fogs. It's an odd place for the pop since every button in that area is related to the lights. Second complaint, lack of storage. This is merely a personal gripe, that other previous small car owners probably won't notice,(I came from a 2007 silverado with storage everywhere) but there is jack for up front storage in the car. The glove box is large, but with the recaros, impossible to access from the drivers seat, and the center console has enough room for an iPod.
Third complaint, my headliner squeaks like crazy just to the rear of the sunroof.
Fourth, and one of the biggest reasons I bought the car, gas mileage. I'm averaging 25ish, mostly highway. That's only 7 better than my full size Chevy truck...

Fiddy
Old 11-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
karmakc
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,875, Level 25
Level Up 75% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy3 View Post
Hey guys,

New ST2 owner here. I have a few "gripes" with my car. Biggest is the location of the interior trunk pop button, it is like 2mm below the fog light button, and being the fog light whore I am, I literally pop the trunk every time I turn on the fogs. It's an odd place for the pop since every button in that area is related to the lights. Second complaint, lack of storage. This is merely a personal gripe, that other previous small car owners probably won't notice,(I came from a 2007 silverado with storage everywhere) but there is jack for up front storage in the car. The glove box is large, but with the recaros, impossible to access from the drivers seat, and the center console has enough room for an iPod.
Third complaint, my headliner squeaks like crazy just to the rear of the sunroof.
Fourth, and one of the biggest reasons I bought the car, gas mileage. I'm averaging 25ish, mostly highway. That's only 7 better than my full size Chevy truck...

Fiddy
Any positives?
Hatch Nation #135
Blazin' the Twisties #90
Old 11-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
karmakc
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,875, Level 25
Level Up 75% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkness03 View Post
i have had my ST2 for about two weeks now. the car is amazing, comfortable and fun to drive. the only gripes i currently have are the headlights are a joke, not nearly enough light comes out of them (i dont have the HID's) and the fog lights dont seem to stay on after you turn off the vehicle, gets a little annoying to turn them on every time. i also expected a little bit better fuel economy. i've been seeing 21mpg the last couple tanks, but i also commute to work through a canyon road...hopefully the freeway numbers will be closer to what it says on the window sticker...
Bonus point awarded :)
Hatch Nation #135
Blazin' the Twisties #90
Old 11-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
Fiddy3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105960
What I Drive: 2023 black focus st

FF Reputation: 1 Fiddy3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakc View Post
Any positives?
Heck yeah! Everything I didn't list!!!

Fiddy
Old 11-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
karmakc
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,875, Level 25
Level Up 75% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Heck yeah! Everything I didn't list!!!

Fiddy
That's more like it!
Hatch Nation #135
Blazin' the Twisties #90
Old 11-13-2012, 02:12 AM   #10
TheDarkness03
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 67488
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue ST2

FF Reputation: 1 TheDarkness03 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Hey guys,

New ST2 owner here. I have a few "gripes" with my car. Biggest is the location of the interior trunk pop button, it is like 2mm below the fog light button, and being the fog light whore I am, I literally pop the trunk every time I turn on the fogs. It's an odd place for the pop since every button in that area is related to the lights.
i couldn't agree more! its such a silly place for it, seeing as i am a fog light whore as well. it'd be nice if there was a way where they would automatically come on when the headlights do...

2003 Screaming Yellow SVTF (EAP) - SOLD
2003 Dark Shadow Grey SVT COBRA - SOLD

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.