Dropped Valve Seat? Prevention? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
Aeather
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105389
What I Drive: 2003 Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Aeather Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Dropped Valve Seat? Prevention?

Hello, My name is Kolten.
I just bought a 2002 with 125k Miles for about 4600.
2 days ago, and I was reading up on the car and noticed that the valve drop is basically inventiable. I'm gonna call the dealership tomorrow to see if they did anything to replace it or what not.
If not is there anything I can do to prevent it? By buying new valve seats that fit the MPI motor? Or just drive it and save up for a zetec swap...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
overall you would enjoy the zetec more... cost depends on what's being done and who does the work, and of course where you get your parts.

if you use an AERA approved head, they are supposed to eliminate the problem.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 10-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
Aeather
Focus Rookie

Well I just called the ford dealership here where I live and the mechanic said it can be avoided by taking good car of your engine, and the signs of it about to drop is blue smoke and rattling up and the top of the engine. I think this guy is just full of bs, so I'm gonna call tomorrow see if I can get someone else.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
samishii23
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 79779
What I Drive: 2014, Blue, SE 5-Spd

FF Reputation: 1 samishii23 Good Standing Member
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294300
Thread right below this one ( at time of posting ) seems to indicate through many people posting, that the valve seat, if OEM from factory, should have potentially been a recall. As they are defective to the point to where it feels like quitting on that day, your engine is also heading to the junk yard in the sky.

Quote:
Well I just called the ford dealership here where I live and the mechanic said it can be avoided by taking good car of your engine
Im guessing the mechanic wants your business, in the form of parts from Ford, and labor through Ford. Guaranteeing a price tag larger then the current value of the car.

Potential Solution: rebuild head or buy rebuilt head with updated parts / hardware to be certain your focus will NOT give you and your location junk yard quality time together. ( Sorry just got done watching George Carlin Videos, no ill intent is intended )
Old 10-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
re inky thing true about that is the rattling. no smoke. not just taking care of it to prevent failure.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 10-30-2012, 01:13 AM   #6
Aeather
Focus Rookie

So.. Heres the deal. Instead of purchasing a 400 dollar head. I just thought about doing a zetec swap.

Heres the options I have for the engine in my local junk yard search

2.0L, VIN 3 (8th digit, DOHC), intake ID 988F- smooth seam runner
2.0L, VIN 3 (8th digit, DOHC), intake ID WS4E- raised seam runner
2.0L, VIN 5 (8th digit, SVT, DOHC)
2.0L, VIN P (8th digit, SOHC)
2.3L (VIN Z, 8th digit, PZEV)

Which one do I pick? Also I under stand I need the ECU, engine harness and what else?

I'm pretty good with doing mechanic stuff had a 91 honda civic before this car and did the alt, timing belt, water pump, brakes stuff like that. So I'm not that mechanically challenged.

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:20 AM   #7
Aeather
Focus Rookie

Same thing with ECU? And I dont need to replace the transmission right?

Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (base of RH "A" pillar), 2.0L (4-121), DOHC, AT, ID 3S4A KB thru KE
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (base of RH "A" pillar), 2.0L (4-121), DOHC, MT, SVT, ID 2S4A-AFA, AFB & AFF
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (base of RH "A" pillar), 2.0L (4-121), DOHC, MT, SVT, ID 2U7A-FYA
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (base of RH "A" pillar), 2.0L (4-121), DOHC, MT, exc. SVT; ID 3S4A-LB thru LE
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (base of RH "A" pillar), 2.0L (4-121), SOHC, AT, ID 3S4A-FB thru FE
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (base of RH "A" pillar), 2.0L (4-121), SOHC, MT, ID 3S4A-GB thru GE
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (base of RH "A" pillar), 2.3L (4-140, PZEV), AT, ID 3S4A-AAB & AAC
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (base of RH "A" pillar), 2.3L (4-140, PZEV), AT, ID 3U7A-FMAMR
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (base of RH "A" pillar), 2.3L (4-140, PZEV), MT, ID 3S4A-ABB & ABC
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (base of RH "A" pillar), 2.3L (4-140, PZEV), MT, ID 3U7A-FNAMR
Old 11-07-2012, 03:38 AM   #8
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
You ARE mechanically challenged or you would know that VIN P in your engine list is the same bad one you are trying to replace.

You would also know then that there is no maintenance you can do to prevent SPI motor breaking, they do it when they are ready to with no warning generally.

And again you would know to get the PCM that goes with engine you pick. Use them from same exact car.

No insult intended but you are obviously beginning to get into trouble and haven't even started yet.......trying to save you a lot of headache.

'.........inventiable'.

??? Were you trying to say 'inevitable'?

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->