Anybody done an E85 conversion? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-10-2012, 12:32 AM   #11
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Dunno. I know more local people who have consistently made more power on E-85 than race fuel.
When E-98 is brought into the argument, there is no comparable race fuel, besides Methanol.

I've got 2 zetec Foci on E-85 and I've no complaints. I can't imagine the duratec is that different, or would take much to tune for the fuel. The zetec is very easy IMO.

And that is all I'll say. Far too many arguments start and not enough people have first hand experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 12:43 AM   #12
enginjoe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105845
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 enginjoe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What I've found is those that have done it successfully are for it and those who haven't done it or failed because they didn't know what they were doing are against it.

It's definitely not for everyone, but it is great if you have a setup that can use it and it is readily available.

I daily drive with it and have two gas stations on the way to work that have it, so that is easy. I have a totally upgraded fuel system to handle up to 600whp of E85 and the car is tuned for it, so that is not a problem either (I"m only using around 500whp of it). The only issue left is longevity of fuel system parts and only time will tell about that. I've got 4 1/2 years of DD'ing on the stuff with no problems.

What I haven't gotten an answer for is if anyone has tried it on the '13 ST yet. So far, no takers...
Old 11-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #13
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Please tell me your not saying that everyone that doesnt like e85 is because they dont know what there doing
I kinda know a thing or 2 about tuning and I think I have a good feel for e85 and I dont like it at all

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 11-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #14
enginjoe
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
Please tell me your not saying that everyone that doesnt like e85 is because they dont know what there doing
I kinda know a thing or 2 about tuning and I think I have a good feel for e85 and I dont like it at all

Tom
I can see that certain applications aren't suited for it, or that it's limited availability can make it inconvenient, but what is the down side if your car can handle it, gas mileage is not a concern and it is readily available?
Old 11-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #15
enginjoe
Focus Enthusiast

I just remembered another downside. Cold weather starting, like sub freezing does kinda suck. I don't have to deal with that here in the desert...
Old 11-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #16
gimmemoreboost
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83716
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 gimmemoreboost Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I don't like e85 because its not regulated like race gas. So you get a 100 octane equivalent and tune with that and the the next tank is 87 equivalent, shit will break. Plenty of people run high hp on pump 93 octane and race gas. 1000whp supras are a perfect example. And the 700whp s2k on c16. As long as those fuels are available I won't touch e85.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #17
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
What about no regulations on the octane where one time it MIGHT be 90-91 and the next time 94
Kinda sucks for the guy tuned for 96 and gets a batch of 91

I have had e85 tested a few times for octane an no one time was it even 100

Bad MPG
Harder starting in cold weather
unregulated octane
should change oil more often
Yes it cost less but you use more

Its funny I hear from people how e85 reduces green house effects by 13% , then when you ask how it gets taken from the feilds and how its planted and they say Diesel tractor which puts out 50% more green house effects then a gas engine , then you have to use a lot of electricity to make the e85 and in most cases that uses coal and uses more natural recources so where is the savings ???? then on top of that you should change the oil more often so you make even more polution , In the end you end up make more polution then you save

So... where the savings ... what good does it do to run it ??? I havent found an upside yet but a LOT of down side

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 11-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #18
enginjoe
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmemoreboost View Post
I don't like e85 because its not regulated like race gas. So you get a 100 octane equivalent and tune with that and the the next tank is 87 equivalent, shit will break. Plenty of people run high hp on pump 93 octane and race gas. 1000whp supras are a perfect example. And the 700whp s2k on c16. As long as those fuels are available I won't touch e85.
The bold is not true at all. You might get 85 one time or 70 the next, but the octane is never under 100. If you are DD'ing, you don't tune for the edge and it works fine. Think about it this way, if you tune for E85 and you get E70, you will just be a little rich at WOT. The car will automatically trim that out in idle and cruise.

C16 is many times more expensive, so for a DD, it is not worth it. I don't think we are talking about that here.

93 octane gas is good, and if it is available, it gives you most of the performance of E85 in a cold environment as well as not requiring special mods or tuning. Unfortunately, many people don't have access to 93...
Old 11-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #19
enginjoe
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
What about no regulations on the octane where one time it MIGHT be 90-91 and the next time 94
Kinda sucks for the guy tuned for 96 and gets a batch of 91

I have had e85 tested a few times for octane an no one time was it even 100

Bad MPG
Harder starting in cold weather
unregulated octane
should change oil more often
Yes it cost less but you use more

Its funny I hear from people how e85 reduces green house effects by 13% , then when you ask how it gets taken from the feilds and how its planted and they say Diesel tractor which puts out 50% more green house effects then a gas engine , then you have to use a lot of electricity to make the e85 and in most cases that uses coal and uses more natural recources so where is the savings ???? then on top of that you should change the oil more often so you make even more polution , In the end you end up make more polution then you save

So... where the savings ... what good does it do to run it ??? I havent found an upside yet but a LOT of down side

Tom
Haha at octane of low 90s with E85 or even E70. The fact is, 100octane fuel is 7.20/gal and E85 is 3.50. You use more but not twice as much.

Who cares about greenhouse effects, that's just plain dumb junk science right there.

As for oil changes, what performance car guy doesn't change his own oil very often.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #20
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Did you see the part where I had the octane tested and it was never above 95.? NEVER , 3 times 3 diff stations over time

I left out the part about the sticky build up in the top of the injectors over time , the black build up on the valves etc

"Note how the pump octane number [(MON+RON)/2] flattens out to about 96." that is a quote from the last test on e85 I read

You like a lot of others seem to be missing how/why e85 does what it does and it IS NOT the octane its latent heat of vaporization which is simply a measure of how much energy per unit mass it takes to change the phase (e85) from a liquid to a gas, this change pulls heat energy out of the air dropping its temperature , meaning it takes the heat out of the air and lowers the chance of knock
Sure a higher octane would help but in most cases its barely much higher then 93 , cooler are means more timing and in most cases means more power , to the point the octane does drop because of crap fuel mixed with ,then BOOM

Another fun fact is e85 has no octane rating sense only gasoline contains iso-octane all octane test are set up for gasoline , makes you go hmmmmmm ?????

And I could go on and on

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus

Bookmarks & Social Networks