Useless TPMS? - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-31-2012, 06:46 PM   #51
SaToX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94321
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 4 SaToX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Useless TPMS?

Well the other day I was on a 2 1/2 road trip to see the inlaws . On the highway had the cruise set at 100 km/h and noticed that the fuel mileage wasn't what it normally is when set at that speed. Out of curiosity I decided to check the tire pressure about half way through the trip at a gas station that had air, and behold, I had 23 psi in all four.

I was kinda upset cause I thought this damn car was supposed to have TPMS, I checked the manual and it stated that it does, even though it appeared to not be working. Of course I filled all of them to the recommended 35 psi and went on my way.

The next day at work I decided to check and see if and when they would ever come on, so i started the car and proceeded to deflate my drivers side front tire, turns out that the light will only kick in at about 20 psi???? What good is that!?!

But....... it will only go back out when the tire gets back to 35 psi.

Just wondering if anyone else has tested theirs to make sure they are working correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #52
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 21 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The system is designed to detect a wild swing between tires, but if they are all at the same pressure it may not sound the alarm as there is no delta pressure to the other tires.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #53
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: Like yours, only better

FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I would have to say that TPMS is more of a federally mandated cya device then an actually useful tool for owners. As you have just proven, it is no substitute for checking on your own at least monthly. TPMS is just a response to the Firestone/Explorer fiasco of a few years back.

OASN, I had a blowout at 70mph in my 2012 Subaru due to hitting road debris. TPMS never told me that the tire went down, of course I was only driving on it for less then a minute after the incident. It really is only useful to tell you of a slow leak that could affect handling if left uncorrected.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
Old 10-31-2012, 07:00 PM   #54
sgmfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101095
What I Drive: 2012 sgm sedan se,sfe package

FF Reputation: 3 sgmfocus Good Standing Member
thats the same # i got light came on at 20 lbs ,didn't check when it went out
Old 10-31-2012, 07:01 PM   #55
SaToX
Focus Enthusiast

I know of lots of other car that freak out at you on a cold morning until the tires warm up from driving them. Almost over sensitive. Just seems kind of dumb to have them if they are only going to tell you when they are pretty much flat.

I know I'm bitching, just seems kind of useless to have paid for it (in the price of the car) and have it not really do anything for you.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:07 PM   #56
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Like suss6052 said, it should show when one is lower then the rest, or when they all are under a certain threshold.

We drove for years w/o TPMS, and it really wasn't created to help us, it was put in to keep lawyers employed.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Watch out for the D
Old 10-31-2012, 07:13 PM   #57
SaToX
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiStick View Post
Like suss6052 said, it should show when one is lower then the rest, or when they all are under a certain threshold.

We drove for years w/o TPMS, and it really wasn't created to help us, it was put in to keep lawyers employed.
There definitely is no substitute for the reliability of checking them yourself, but having for instance one front tire 14 pounds less than the other will cause some messed up handling. Yet no light to inform you. If they installed these things for our safety, the margin of error shouldn't be so large.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:26 PM   #58
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94835
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
I think the system would be a much more useful tool if Ford reprogrammed the onboard monitor to show us the actual pressure for each tire. I mean, I know its very easy to do, its just a programming change for the 4" display in the dash...some Euro versions already have this. I was in a rental Dodge last year, and it showed the pressures for all four corners of the car, so, you knew exactly what each tire had... now, that is useful.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)
Old 10-31-2012, 07:28 PM   #59
SaToX
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozi240 View Post
I think the system would be a much more useful tool if Ford reprogrammed the onboard monitor to show us the actual pressure for each tire. I mean, I know its very easy to do, its just a programming change for the 4" display in the dash...some Euro versions already have this. I was in a rental Dodge last year, and it showed the pressures for all four corners of the car, so, you knew exactly what each tire had... now, that is useful.
Agreed
Old 10-31-2012, 07:38 PM   #60
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozi240 View Post
That is probably a feature in the more upscale models. TPMS is a federal mandate, how it is displayed is a matter of cost and packaging. This is a Focus, not an Audi.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Watch out for the D

Bookmarks & Social Networks