2013 Engine Issue? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
CincyAndy
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Fan#: 119571
Location: Cincinnati, OH
What I Drive: 2013 Race Red Focus SE

Posts: 10
FF Reputation: 1 CincyAndy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2013 Engine Issue?

Hey all,

Here in Cincinnati we got raked the other night with snow and ice. As I was leaving work this evening, I drove over some of the ice pulling out of the parking lot and some of it went up into the engine compartment.

I'm sitting at a stop light maybe 2 1/2- 3 hours after leaving work, and when I give it gas the engine will get real loud for 2 or 3 seconds and the noise will go back down to its normal level. Not sure what may have caused this, or if driving over the ice would have caused this as well. Thinking I may have to take a half day tomorrow and head up to Beechmont Ford to have it checked out as I'm not sure if this is something to just brush off or get taken care of immediately.

Thoughts?


CincyAndy is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-06-2014, 08:40 PM   #2
CunFFS13
Focus Fanatic
 
CunFFS13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Fan#: 117411
Location: Cancun, Mexico
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Ford Focus S MT

Posts: 2,303
FF Reputation: 6 CunFFS13 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My guess:
Some ice rock stacked at the cooling fan?.... My guess
CunFFS13 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:42 PM   #3
wavsine
Focus Addict
 
wavsine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Fan#: 118470
Location: DFW, TX
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Oxford White Hatch 5m

Posts: 723
FF Reputation: 12 wavsine Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyAndy View Post
Hey all,

Here in Cincinnati we got raked the other night with snow and ice. As I was leaving work this evening, I drove over some of the ice pulling out of the parking lot and some of it went up into the engine compartment.

I'm sitting at a stop light maybe 2 1/2- 3 hours after leaving work, and when I give it gas the engine will get real loud for 2 or 3 seconds and the noise will go back down to its normal level. Not sure what may have caused this, or if driving over the ice would have caused this as well. Thinking I may have to take a half day tomorrow and head up to Beechmont Ford to have it checked out as I'm not sure if this is something to just brush off or get taken care of immediately.

Thoughts?
The MK3 Focus has an aeroshield that completely covers the underside of the engine compartment. Unless yours was removed and never replaced (like after an oil change) I don't see how ice could have migrated into the engine compartment.

Can you describe the noise in more detail?
__________________
Use a Motorcraft FL-400S filter to increase filtration media and oil quantity. (Drop in for FL-910S)

Synthetic oil in GDI engines
www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324396
wavsine is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:01 PM   #4
CincyAndy
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Fan#: 119571
Location: Cincinnati, OH
What I Drive: 2013 Race Red Focus SE

Posts: 10
FF Reputation: 1 CincyAndy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavsine View Post
The MK3 Focus has an aeroshield that completely covers the underside of the engine compartment. Unless yours was removed and never replaced (like after an oil change) I don't see how ice could have migrated into the engine compartment.

Can you describe the noise in more detail?
Yes, the noise itself sounds like that of the engine but it's real loud for 2 or 3 seconds and then quiets down to normal.

The only oil change I've had done was at Beechmont Ford, 2 miles from my apartment. I bought the car with 580 miles so it's highly unlikely that they changed it before they handed the keys over to me. I'm now sitting shy of 7,400 miles.

I may try to get out and get a video if needed. Gonna let my phone charge a bit first if you need more clarification.


Thanks!
CincyAndy is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #5
CincyAndy
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Fan#: 119571
Location: Cincinnati, OH
What I Drive: 2013 Race Red Focus SE

Posts: 10
FF Reputation: 1 CincyAndy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/...psdf86654a.jpg This is behind the engine block itself...

http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/AN...075b1.mp4.html

http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/AN...075b1.mp4.html

Above videos, you can barely hear it but it's there. Right as soon as the light turns green. One thing I forgot to mention is that there's a vibration as well when the noise occurs.
CincyAndy is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #6
FordService
Official Ford Rep
 
FordService's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Fan#: 79824
Location: Dearborn, MI
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Posts: 4,248
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyAndy View Post
I'm sitting at a stop light maybe 2 1/2- 3 hours after leaving work, and when I give it gas the engine will get real loud for 2 or 3 seconds and the noise will go back down to its normal level. Not sure what may have caused this, or if driving over the ice would have caused this as well. Thinking I may have to take a half day tomorrow and head up to Beechmont Ford to have it checked out as I'm not sure if this is something to just brush off or get taken care of immediately.
Hey CincyAndy,

Is your Focus currently at Beechmont Ford? Let me know, and please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, and mileage; I'll look into available options.

Todd
__________________
FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
FordService is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:39 PM   #7
CincyAndy
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Fan#: 119571
Location: Cincinnati, OH
What I Drive: 2013 Race Red Focus SE

Posts: 10
FF Reputation: 1 CincyAndy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordService View Post
Hey CincyAndy,

Is your Focus currently at Beechmont Ford? Let me know, and please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, and mileage; I'll look into available options.

Todd
I scheduled an appointment online with them last night before I went to bed. Being half asleep, I scheduled it for next Friday at 1:30pm instead of today. They were booked solid today so I went to Mike Castrucci Ford in Alexandria who was able to get me in late this afternoon. All issues have been resolved to my satisfaction. Thank you for reaching out Todd.

The noise itself was caused by ice up in the engine compartment. Over driving it 20 miles to the dealership in Alexandria and them cleaning it out, no problems remain. The bottom checked out fine, nothing cracked or busted.

While I was in, the dealership found there was a TSB for the transmission and reprogrammed it...much much improved after the update.

Last edited by CincyAndy; 02-07-2014 at 06:34 PM.
CincyAndy is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #8
FordService
Official Ford Rep
 
FordService's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Fan#: 79824
Location: Dearborn, MI
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Posts: 4,248
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyAndy View Post
I scheduled an appointment online with them last night before I went to bed. Being half asleep, I scheduled it for next Friday at 1:30pm instead of today. They were booked solid today so I went to Mike Castrucci Ford in Alexandria who was able to get me in late this afternoon. All issues have been resolved to my satisfaction. Thank you for reaching out Todd.
I'm so glad to hear that everything has been resolved! Be sure to let me know if you need my assistance in the future.

Have a great weekend!

Todd
__________________
FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
FordService is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.