JRSC just installed....car will turn over but won't idle - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj22 View Post
Hey Tom

The car reads 0 fuel psi even when cranking.

However, like I said there is definetely some fuel there to get it started.

I also checked a datalog that I completed prior to installing the JRSC kit and it was reading fuel pressure. ie. the datalogging does work with Australian delivered focus.

If you have anymore thoughts that would be great.

Thanks!
You have the return fuel system , close off the return side and see what psi you have or go back to the stock tune and see if it will start altho it will run like crap but see if it runs , if it does its tune related

If you have a adj fuel psi regulator you can back off the fuel psi with the stock tune back in there or put the stock injectors back in just for testing

Whats your ECU code

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #12
mj22
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 32067
What I Drive: 2003 silver 2.0. zetec

FF Reputation: 1 mj22 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hey Tom,

Just to confirm I don't think I have any issues with the vacuum lines.

Like I've said above the car turns over and runs for about 3 seconds and dies.

Can you think of a reason why the car would be reading 0 fuel pressure yet there appears to be sufficient fuel to start the car, which again appears to run out cuasing the car to stall?

Do you think I could have broken the fuel pressure sensor somehow? Or does it seem more likely I have a bad connection somewhere?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 11-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #13
ah1f39
Alone in the Cave

Fan#: 70006
What I Drive: 2000 Explorer 4x4, 04 Mini Cooper S

FF Reputation: 28 ah1f39 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
Im not sure I understand what your saying , the Focus will start and idle with no problem even with no Vac lines hooked to anything ?

Tom
Must have vacum.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #14
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
That black round unit is the EVAP and has nothing to do with the car running or not , actually thats the Vac line I take from there and use for the boost gauge on about 200 Boosted Foci I have built

On cars with big power I remove the entire unit and plug the big line , it cleans up under the hood and looks better

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 11-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #15
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj22 View Post
Hey Tom,

Just to confirm I don't think I have any issues with the vacuum lines.

Like I've said above the car turns over and runs for about 3 seconds and dies.

Can you think of a reason why the car would be reading 0 fuel pressure yet there appears to be sufficient fuel to start the car, which again appears to run out cuasing the car to stall?

Do you think I could have broken the fuel pressure sensor somehow? Or does it seem more likely I have a bad connection somewhere?

Thanks,

Mike

Try the things I listed above and see if that lets you know anything

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 11-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #16
mj22
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Thanks Tom.

I somehow missed your earlier post.

I'll give those things a shot and let you know how I get on.

Thanks
Old 11-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #17
mj22
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Hey Everyone,

So I have completed a whole series of checks as follows:

- Reverted ECU to stock tune. Car still started up and stalled.

- Tested if connecting the vacuum hose from the fuel pressure regulator to the intake manifold or the casting that the TB connects to would make in difference. The car behaved exactly the same irrespective of where the vacuum hose was connected. Would start up and stall.

- Disconnected vacuum hose from fuel pressure regulator altogether. Started the car up and it behaved exactly the same as when it had the vacuum line connected to it. This makes me think I may have broken the regulator?

- Tested whether blocking off the fuel pressure return line would make the car run. Again this had no effect. The car started up and again stalled. There was definetely fuel pressure there as the multigrip I was using to block the hose I connected on slipped and I got a huge spray of fuel out of the hose.

Other things which I did in an effort to trouble shoot the problem:

- Removed the IAC and cleaned it out with carby cleaner and reinstalled.

- Removed the supercharger and intake manifold to ensure everything was seated properly and that the vacuum barbs/ports were clear (I was going a bit crazy at this stage when I committed to this). One thing to note was there was a reasonable amount of fuel sitting in the intake manifold. Enough that I thought it smart to wipe it up with a microfibre cloth. Say 20-30 ml of fuel.

- Checked all connections, grounds, fuses.

After doing all of the above I still have had no luck getting the car to run.

My questions are as follows:

- If the car is behaving the same whether the fuel pressure regulator has a vacuum line connected or not, is this an indication that the regulator is broken?

- Would a broken fuel pressure regulator cause the problems I am having? ie. car starts up happily and stalls.

- Could my problem be related to poor injector positioning/mounting? I ask this as I found some fuel in the intake manifold and wondered if they weren't directed at the intake ports correctly? The injectors on the car now are a brand new set of 42 lb bosch injectors. Would it be worth throwing the stock or a set of 38 lb injectors on there to check it isn't a problem with the new injectors?

- Could the car be flooding? ie. its just getting too much fuel? I would have thought reverting to the stock tune would have stopped the flooding if it was the tune providing too much fuel.

- Could my problem be the inertia fuel switch? I used this when installing the kit to deplete fuel pressure in the lines. If it was constantly activated would it allow the system to pressurise in the first instance?

The only wiring/harness that I have messed with are the MAF and knock sensor. I had to extend the Knock Sensor wire to fit around the intake manifold and I have relocated the IAT sensor to the intake manifold so I have cut the wires to pins 1 and 6 of the MAF to connect the relocated IAT sensor to. Could either of these be the source of my problems?

The car hasn't thrown any codes at this stage and I've tried to start it up at least 15 times.

Final thing to note. I advised incorrectly in an earlier post. The datalogging I completed prior to installing the JRSC kit did not show any fuel pressure either. So I think the datalogging file Tom has provided on the ECU forum is applicable for an Australian delivered focus for fuel pressure.

Sorry this is such a long post. Just trying to put all my information out there. As I have said previously I am very keen to get this fixed.

Thanks again,

Mike
Old 11-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #18
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

When you went back to the stock tune did you have the stock injectors in the car ? stock tune with bigger Inj wont run right and could try to start and die

I would do this with the stock may like your starting the car as it was stock , if it starts then your tuner has some work to do

I keep asking for your ECU code , if it is a US ecu code then I can send you a tune to see if it will start

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 11-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #19
mj22
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Hey Tom,

My strategy code is:KQAH2AE*

I didn't switch back to the stock injectors when running the stock tune. I'll give that a shot this afternoon.

Thanks for all the help.

Mike
Old 11-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #20
mj22
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Hi Tom,

The problem was the tune.

I just loaded a tune file onto the car from the previous owner.

The car idles beautifully.

Thank you for all of your time.

I will be having words with my tuner shortly as this has cost me a lot of time and $$$.

Thanks again

Mike

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->