Focus Fanatics Forum banner

timing belt intervals

7K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  blue04svt 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what the mileage interval is for timing belt

#5 ·
There is no definitive answer to the question you present. It all depends on how you drive or push your engine. Daily driving = 100,000 miles easily granted there are no cracks on the belt.

Track that ish and you wanna change it from 60K-90K, no more than that. fo rlly

#6 ·
I did my first t-belt assembly change at 86k miles. I am going to be doing it again as soon as I come back from vacation. (I have all the parts waiting for me at home). I have 135k right now. I am changing it at 60k only because I have an unidentifiable belt squeal somewhere and to replace only certain belts and pulleys makes no sense; when I would have to go back in and do more work in 15-20k more miles..

#7 ·
Had mine done on my 03 at 80k and the mechanic said the tensioners were ready to be changed, but the belt was good to go.

#8 ·
Had mine changed at 77k when I rebuilt the engine, but every mechanic who knows anything about SVT products says no more than 80 is healthy even though ford recommends 100k. I would go ahead if your close to 80k.

#9 ·
I think ford recommends around 80-90k. If you are unsure, just play it safe. bent valves and mangled pistons aren't worth the $300 you'd spend doing the timing belt in advance.

Matt

#10 ·
Yea I was looking at owners manual and it recommends at 120k I'm at just over 113k I just replaced the belt and tensioners and water pump to my surprise everything looked ok and was all original

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.