Way to go Ford.... - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-31-2012, 06:39 PM   #41
FocusOnMeNow
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97757
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray SE 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 1 FocusOnMeNow Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bssybeep View Post
hmmm, my 2012 Sport SE runs just fine
^Manual tranny?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Xparent Blue FF Mobile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 10:22 PM   #42
maalox
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105436
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE 5dr

Points 85, Level 1
Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 maalox Good Standing Member
Every industry review of these cars that I read prior to purchase said quite clearly that the Focus is a great car, save for two (optional)things; MyFord Touch, and the "automatic" trans. That said, the "automatic" isn't nearly as bad as it's made out to be. It does drive differently than a typical automatic(because it's really a clutchless manual), so you have to drive the car accordingly. Once you learn it's habits(and it breaks in a bit), it's actually pretty good.

Where Ford may have erred was in offering this transmission on an entry-level car. They probably should have left the technology for something a little higher up the model lineup, like the Fusion, and offered a "normal" automatic in the Focus. I have driven both the 5-speed Focus and the "automatic" extensively, and I can say that my only real complaint about the 2-pedal setup is that it is not available with a proper paddle shift setup for manual shift control, ala VW's DSG. The "hill descent" button on the SE models is pretty useless, as you can't use it in conjunction with the brake pedal without shifting the car down too many gears and sending the RPMs into an uncomfortable place for a long hill descent. However, this is a programming issue that should be easy for Ford to rectify.

That said, the gear ratios and final drive are better suited to the engine's powerband than the 5-speed manual, which is definitely geared towards economy.

So Ford, if you're listening: Full manual control with flappy paddles on the steering wheel, and proper sequential shift option on the gear lever. Cheers.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:11 PM   #43
Justintoxicated
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103386
What I Drive: Silver Focus 2012 Titanium MFT

FF Reputation: 1 Justintoxicated Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
All I have to say is...

LOL CONSUMER REPORTS.

The last place I'd go for anything car related.
That's my thoughts too, whatever they say is the worst is probably the most innovative and newest. Whatever is best is the oldest / most reliable (but plainest) for commuter functionality.

CR reports is biased. I remember when picking out my 1/2 ton truck that Toyota Tundra was at the top of the list (not that tundras are not good vehicles just that in 2005 they were pretty far behind other makes). They failed to mention that the toyota had the smallest interior space, lowest tow capacity, lowest torque and HP numbers (BY FAR), an older styled interiors and lack of other frills (sprayed bed liner, utility bed etc), and one of the highest sticker prices (they revised the whole truck in 2006 after all).

If I want to buy a vacuum or toilet or some kitchen gadgets they are useful, but for cars pssshhh...
Old 11-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #44
Browningguy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94520
What I Drive: 2003 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Browningguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
or are more tolerant (read ignorant) of the types of problems inherent in the 2012 Focus, but I guarantee you they are having the same issues.
That's bordering on being the stupidist statement I have ever read, even for the internet. Our Feb 2012 built Ti hatchback with mytouch and dct hasn't had any of the problems that a few have. We had one issue with the display not showing the station presets but was fixed with the software update.

Of course I've only been driving for 42 years, and have owned everything from BMW 1602's to Land Rovers. So maybe that makes me ignorant.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #45
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,833, Level 32
Points: 2,833, Level: 32 Points: 2,833, Level: 32 Points: 2,833, Level: 32
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browningguy View Post
That's bordering on being the stupidist [sic] statement I have ever read, even for the internet.
I think he was saying my 85 year old grandma Pauline driving her frosted glass (no offense, guys) Focus might be having clutch issues. But she is essentially just ignorant to the noises it's making.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #46
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi jellybean,

If you ever have a hard time getting in touch with your CSM, please send me a PM so I can give them a nudge.

Why should YOU have to give anybody a 'nudge' .... why can't they just do their jobs or lose their jobs. I have heard so many stories about un-returned calls ... broken promises .... etc, etc.

Will this crappy job performance EVER have any consequences and result in any change of behaviour ??

While I'm sure that everybody here appreciates your presence here and your attempting to help .... it seems that nothing much has changed in the year and a half or so that these cars have been out.

One and a half YEARS to resolve a suspension clunking problem ... and it's STILL NOT RESOLVED ???? Give me a break .... My guess is they know exactly what the issue is, and it's just too expensive to resolve to let the cat out of the bag .... they're just hoping most of the owners with issues go away, even if it means that they dump their cars and never buy another Ford.

REV
Old 11-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #47
jellybean
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93883
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Titanium

FF Reputation: 0 jellybean Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by revhigh View Post
Why should YOU have to give anybody a 'nudge' .... why can't they just do their jobs or lose their jobs. I have heard so many stories about un-returned calls ... broken promises .... etc, etc.

Will this crappy job performance EVER have any consequences and result in any change of behaviour ??

While I'm sure that everybody here appreciates your presence here and your attempting to help .... it seems that nothing much has changed in the year and a half or so that these cars have been out.

One and a half YEARS to resolve a suspension clunking problem ... and it's STILL NOT RESOLVED ???? Give me a break .... My guess is they know exactly what the issue is, and it's just too expensive to resolve to let the cat out of the bag .... they're just hoping most of the owners with issues go away, even if it means that they dump their cars and never buy another Ford.

REV
My thoughts exactly...I am so fed up with having to chase people around and jump through hoops to get my issues resolved.
Now they want to install a recorder in my car, that will only record when I press the button. Imagine this...my car slips into neutral while driving on the freeway in morning traffic. I am now faced with having to somehow get off to the side without incident and at the same time press a stupid button to record events.
I know and Ford knows that there will be no error codes. If there were, it would have happened on the 2 occasions that my car did this already, with the on-board computer.

This is nothing more than a stall tactic. Given that it only happened twice so far, in 18000 miles, how long are they going to leave this box in my car.

I am done with all this Customer Service BS. While the reps on this forum seem to have the ability to escalate our cases, that's where it ends. I am still driving in a DANGEROUS CAR, and no one at Ford seems to get this.

At this point I will be filing with the NSTSA and BBB...because if something happens to me while driving this car, I want it on record that I made multiple attempts to get it fixed.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #48
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Then file with the BBB and NHTSA and let them do their thing.

The car has been on the market for a long time now, if there were real issues the NHTSA would be all on their ass about it.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Old 11-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #49
JimsterG
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95184
What I Drive: 2012 5 dr SEL in Race Red

FF Reputation: 1 JimsterG Good Standing Member
There was a book I believe the title was 'Unbiased Lies' written by a former CR employee. Basically while CR says it buys everything it tests, free gifts to the Board of Directors that includes cars, electronics and high dollar items, automatically gives those products better write ups. It is ordered by the Board, at least according to the book. I stopped giving much value to CR after reading so many bloopers in an 'Electronics' issue. They really don't always know what they are talking about.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #50
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
My car is sitting at the dealership now. They are going to road test it again because they said they could get it to do it. They also want me to come in and see if I can get it to shutter and make the clutches slip. In the meantime, I have my rental 2013 Chevy Sonic HB

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.

Bookmarks & Social Networks