50k on an Autozone tensioner/pulley.... - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
Thugology101
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96051
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy 5dr

FF Reputation: 1 Thugology101 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
"I even cleared it on the brakes and rotors when I purchased those for the wife's van from O'Reilleys. "Lifetime warranty rotors and pads?"; "Yes"; "You do realize that I'll be replacing rotors every time I do brakes, right?"; "Yes"; "Ok then" 15k miles later and I'm still not close to needing a new set. I just purchased a full LW (by Wagner) brake set for the ZXW. My last FMC set lasted 90k miles (yay big brakes), so I'll see how long the Wagner's last. I bet half the FMC, and if the braking power is reduced, I'll go back to FMC regardless of warranty."

Hopefully you get a manager who knows what he or she is doing and tells you to go get stuffed. It's a LIMITED Lifetime Warranty which is LIMITED to defect and does not cover wear, and does not cover parts that are damaged by abuse. I just hope you're not a parent, passing your impeccable integrity along to the future.
2012 Red Candy SE 5dr Sport. Sportline SPP control arms. Flowmaster. K&N CAI. 35% tint. Steeda STS Bracket. Fosgate Punch/Reaper amps. JVC Double DIN Touchscreen. Titanium engine cover. E-Focus RMM. 18x8 Rockstar Car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #12
Rockyherald
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100151
What I Drive: 2012 ZX5 SEL SONIC BLUE

FF Reputation: 1 Rockyherald Good Standing Member
Auto Parts warranties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thugology101 View Post
Lifetime warranties aren't that. That's exactly the kind of warranty abuse that makes it tough to exchange a legitimately bad part, and causes prices to continue going up all the time.. The warranties cover actual failure of the part, not eh why not. You're a great example.
You kind of sound the Sears employee that I worked with several years back who complained about the lifetime warranty on Craftsman tools. He said it was just a rental service and bitched about people bringing back broken tools.
If they offer a warranty then they should happily exchange parts that have failed or about to fail. You don't think they have already built in the cost of warranties into their lifetime parts price? If prices are going up then China is charging more for their crap. If its making noise return it under warranty before it goes out completely and F#@ks up your car!

Old 10-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #13
a_2000_se
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62964
What I Drive: 2000 SE SOHC SPI, Compression @ 164

FF Reputation: 15 a_2000_se Great Standing Member
Quote:
"......It's a LIMITED Lifetime Warranty which is LIMITED to defect and does not cover wear, and does not cover parts that are damaged by abuse.....
I think I read somewhere on their site that it was a warranty against 'materials and workmanship' not abuse or commercial use - so any failure due to 'wear' would come under 'materials' as long as I own the car is how I take it.

I'm hoping it's just the tensioner and idler pulleys for now because I have a lifetime on the Autozone water pump too and it also has ~50k miles on it - but it isn't leaking anything yet. I'd rather not do the water pump til I have to do the 60k mile timing belt next year........

One of the draw backs of buying cheap parts thinking the car won't last this long. And yeah - I don't want to wait til the bearing seizes up, if that's what it is, and leaves someone stuck on the side of the highway. A noise is good enough for me - a failure in materials.
Replaced #4 Piston, Rings, Rod+Bearings, AERA Re-Manufactured Cylinder Head and a light Hone. Then CLEANED the hell out of everything.
60k+ miles.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
Mitch1989
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105151
What I Drive: 2001 Zx3

FF Reputation: 3 Mitch1989 Good Standing Member
Quote:
"I even cleared it on the brakes and rotors when I purchased those for the wife's van from O'Reilleys. "Lifetime warranty rotors and pads?"; "Yes"; "You do realize that I'll be replacing rotors every time I do brakes, right?"; "Yes"; "Ok then" 15k miles later and I'm still not close to needing a new set. I just purchased a full LW (by Wagner) brake set for the ZXW. My last FMC set lasted 90k miles (yay big brakes), so I'll see how long the Wagner's last. I bet half the FMC, and if the braking power is reduced, I'll go back to FMC regardless of warranty."

Hopefully you get a manager who knows what he or she is doing and tells you to go get stuffed. It's a LIMITED Lifetime Warranty which is LIMITED to defect and does not cover wear, and does not cover parts that are damaged by abuse. I just hope you're not a parent, passing your impeccable integrity along to the future.

You're just a better person I guess.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #15
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyherald View Post
You don't think they have already built in the cost of warranties into their lifetime parts price?
I wouldn't invest in them if they hadn't. I thought I explained that business model? Hey... there's a way to make money!!! I see a class action lawsuit!! Autozone vs America!! They will make millions!

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #16
Mitch1989
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105151
What I Drive: 2001 Zx3

FF Reputation: 3 Mitch1989 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
I wouldn't invest in them if they hadn't. I thought I explained that business model? Hey... there's a way to make money!!! I see a class action lawsuit!! Autozone vs America!! They will make millions!

Old 10-31-2012, 11:34 AM   #17
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
'There's no need to worry about increasing the cost of parts around the nation by using a lifetime warranty to get a new part when the old one fails. Parts are more likely to go up in price due to shipping or labor costs first.'

I do not agree and I can come up with several major vendors that would argue that point in a hurry...........................miswarranted parts is one of the highest uncontrolled costs they have, fully 90% of the parts returned have nothing wrong with them that should have resulted in a justified warranty. That was the result of an industry study.

Look at that first sentence again. Correct, the increase has ALREADY BEEN DONE and is ongoing. Price increases occur at 10x the rate they used too, once a week and by the hundreds, sometimes thousands in that week. In the eighties increases used to come every 3-4 weeks. Light bulbs you buy for $3.99 thinking good price have a cost to them of 39 cents. Put that same margin on everything else, do you think that's a good deal???? They used to teach in business school in the '70s that if you made 15% profit on stuff you would stay in business forever. Not so now, do the math...........

You're paying out the as- for that lifetime warranty despite what you think. Batteries have doubled in price but the average 7 year warranty part lasts 3 years, many only 2. I rejected so many 7 year batteries after only 1 year you wouldn't believe it. The quality certainly did not go up. I could go on and on about this............suffice to say once lifetime warranty reared its' ugly head you were guaranteed to pay far more for the incompetence of those who bring in parts with nothing wrong with them, and it's not just a few either. I watched thousands of people do it in the three years I was there. Putting that kind of power in the hands of those who care not about store success meant store absolutely and totally MUST overcharge to guarantee company staying in the black. The business model cannot make it without doing so.

Uh, FYI, the business has actually lowered labor costs since I was doing it in the eighties. Outright pay by about 20% and all part time now. I actually had close to the same buying power working as a brand new soda jerk at Dairy Queen in the late '60s as an experienced parts counter person in '09. Pretty ridiculous.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:13 PM   #18
a_2000_se
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62964
What I Drive: 2000 SE SOHC SPI, Compression @ 164

FF Reputation: 15 a_2000_se Great Standing Member
I went and looked up replacement parts for both the Tensioner Assembly and Idler parts - neither is a lifetime warranty. I must have been thinking they all were 3+ years ago when I bought the water pump at the same time which is lifetime warranted. Found my receipts and they say 1 year warranty on the Tensioner Assembly and Idler. Oops.......
Replaced #4 Piston, Rings, Rod+Bearings, AERA Re-Manufactured Cylinder Head and a light Hone. Then CLEANED the hell out of everything.
60k+ miles.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #19
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Yeah, the water pump warranty is like brakes, pretty stupid. They WILL retract that eventually, they'll have to. I had so many big truck drivers tearing that stuff up in 6 months or less it was ridiculous. There is simply no way to enforce the normal use and service policy when they insist to you that they drive the truck like a granny and never load it down. I had one guy who tore up shocks at a rate of 2-3 a month, he was breaking the ends completely off or bending the shafts on best quality Monroe HD parts. He had been through like 12 shocks, we were ordered to 'take care of the customer'; all we could do was give him new parts over and over. Manager came down on him once and he called corporate complaining we mistreated him. There are PLENTY of idiots out there like that, enabling them only costs you plenty, they do not buy enough to justify coddling them.

I got one guy who bought a creeper with lifetime on it, the guy brought it back maybe a week later, two wheels were bent at axles and the other two totally missing. Part was all scarred up like it had been thrown from a truck at 80 mph, the thing was broken across the middle like 1000 pounds of weight had been dropped on it. First thing I thought is he's put a motor or trans on it. 'Nope, I just used it under my car and the dog did the rest.' He threw a fit but I claimed not under normal use and stiffed him. He went to another store and after ripping me good there the manager at other store told DM and I got ripped again for not 'taking care of a customer who obviously had a problem'. I launched into a very heated discussion about whether the company was in the business of charity or making money, the official answer was 'we are here to take care of the customer, you are missing the point if you think anything else'. Great, they don't even care if they make money now, that was the start of my dumping them. I will never to be able to make good money in a company that doesn't seem to care about whether they can themselves. At company RSS meetings to wave your hand and then when picked describe how in essence you lost the company money to take care of someone would flag you as a big team player. All I could see was 'I have a story to tell of how much money we lost through my efforts', they all cheered about it. The most screwed up company I have ever worked for. Nobody else even comes close.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #20
Thugology101
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96051
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy 5dr

FF Reputation: 1 Thugology101 Good Standing Member
We do have a recourse on that one. In our policies it states the third warranty of a part is cash refund, not replacement. We are not stiffing a customer since we are giving him all his money back but he can go be someone else's problem. And our lifetime brake and clutch warranties clearly state "warranty against defect in material or workmanship FOR THE USEFUL LIFE OF THE PRODUCT, excludes normal wear." Because of people who believe warranty abuse is anything but.

However I gave up on this thread. If parents didn't teach integrity, I'm certainly not going to. Maybe I just AM a better person because I was raised by better people. If a product does what it was meant to do for a reasonable period of time and then fails, I will buy a new one. Not make it someone else's problem.

But on the battery issue... I had an older guy come in a few weeks back. He had an 87 Nissan pickup and needed a battery. He asked if we could install it. Said he wouldn't know how to since it was the FACTORY battery and he had never had to change it.
2012 Red Candy SE 5dr Sport. Sportline SPP control arms. Flowmaster. K&N CAI. 35% tint. Steeda STS Bracket. Fosgate Punch/Reaper amps. JVC Double DIN Touchscreen. Titanium engine cover. E-Focus RMM. 18x8 Rockstar Car.

Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->