Headlights suddenly stopped working - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-29-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
ianmccracken
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 90222
What I Drive: 2002 TDCi

FF Reputation: 1 ianmccracken Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Headlights suddenly stopped working

Hello All,

2001 TDCi 150k Km

Driving along and the car suddenly lost all power...the engine stopped. I think the battery warning light came on but I am not certain. I switched off the ignition and re-started the car. It started up fine and I finished my journey. No idea what caused this.

That evening I noticed that the low beams do not work - either in the "auto position" (headlights are on all the time as per Norwegian law - they come on automatically) or when I turn the light switch on. Parking lights and high beams work. Both bulbs look okay and I have checked all the fuses I can find related to lights in the main and secondary fuse boxes. All fuses appear to be okay.

I have not tested the relays yet. I guess I should also try new bulbs but the old ones do appear to be okay.

Anyone have any ideas as to why the engine suddenly cut out and what the headlight problem is?

Thanks very much in advance,

Ian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 05:18 AM   #2
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,242, Level 93
Points: 23,242, Level: 93 Points: 23,242, Level: 93 Points: 23,242, Level: 93
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 40%
Activity: 40% Activity: 40% Activity: 40%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
please verify you have solid and clean battery cable connections on both positive and earth.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 10-29-2012, 05:27 AM   #3
ianmccracken
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 90222
What I Drive: 2002 TDCi

FF Reputation: 1 ianmccracken Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks Mike. I did remove the earth connection just to see if that would "reset" things. It was tight and clean. I'll undo and the positive also and check that. It it tight though. I can see how a loose connection could cause the motor to cut out but I'm not sure why it would result in the headlights not working....maybe it could cause a relay to fail though?
Thanks again!
Ian
Old 10-29-2012, 05:53 AM   #4
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,242, Level 93
Points: 23,242, Level: 93 Points: 23,242, Level: 93 Points: 23,242, Level: 93
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 40%
Activity: 40% Activity: 40% Activity: 40%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Might want to try a few tests on it as well. vehicle running voltage at the battery is one. it is possible the alternator could be charging higher than it should be. with this, there is the chance that the excessive voltage could have essentially given the computer a "heart attack" if you will. the same can happen if you have a loose connection and lose power like you did.

I am not sure if the lights are controlled by a module at all.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics

Bookmarks & Social Networks