Overheated Transmission and Car Died - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-28-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
AmishGuy91
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 85045
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 AmishGuy91 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Overheated Transmission and Car Died

A week ago, I had the clutch assembly kit replaced in my 2012 Focus as part of TSB 11-12-13. Yesterday morning the car Focus would not start. I had the battery tested and it tested fine. An hour later my car finally started and seemed fine the rest of the day and this morning.

This afternoon I'm on the highway and my MyTouch screen says it is shutting down to conserve battery. Never seen this before. I exit the highway and lose my power steering. Soon after that I receive a message on the screen behind the steering wheel saying the transmission is overheating and the car is shutting down. Died right there on an access road. Immediately called Ford Roadside Assistance who called 911 to get cops to help me get out of harm's way and a tow truck who said they would be there 75 minutes later. Tow truck was an hour late so I was stranded for almost 3 hours total, but I got the car towed to a dealership to be checked out Monday.

Has anyone experienced this issue or have any idea what it could be?

Just another fun day with this car. I'm not sure how much longer I can put up with it. This will now be the 7th time I've brought the car in for transmission related issue.

Wes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
matmatician
Cars&Corgis

Fan#: 81361
What I Drive: A ONE COLOR FOCUS, Ducatis

FF Reputation: 4 matmatician Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Good lord man... Hate to say it, but you may have to look into Lemon Laws. I know theres at least one person here who's had his bought back successfully.
ROTM June '13, PNW Crew #42, SR #245, Rally Rev #02
Old 10-28-2012, 01:52 AM   #3
VectorZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100457
What I Drive: 12' Focus Titanium Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 VectorZ Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatician View Post
Good lord man... Hate to say it, but you may have to look into Lemon Laws. I know theres at least one person here who's had his bought back successfully.
I agree, imagine if that happened on a high bridge with no space to pull over! It is very strange that MFT shut down to conserve power though, it almost seems like the dealer screwed something up while it was in for service.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:05 AM   #4
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
I suspect there's a problem with the battery and/or charging system. Everything in the car is controlled by computer and when the battery isn't supplying enough power all kinds of strange things can happen including overheating.

This happened with a Miata I used to own. The alternator died on the way to work, and the battery died on the way home at which point the car overheated.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:02 AM   #5
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by oritpro View Post
I suspect there's a problem with the battery and/or charging system. Everything in the car is controlled by computer and when the battery isn't supplying enough power all kinds of strange things can happen including overheating.

This happened with a Miata I used to own. The alternator died on the way to work, and the battery died on the way home at which point the car overheated.
I think this is the problem rather than the DCT.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:21 AM   #6
Seriously Focused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101141
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sport 5 Dr

FF Reputation: 1 Seriously Focused Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishGuy91 View Post
A week ago, I had the clutch assembly kit replaced in my 2012 Focus as part of TSB 11-12-13. Yesterday morning the car Focus would not start. I had the battery tested and it tested fine. An hour later my car finally started and seemed fine the rest of the day and this morning.

This afternoon I'm on the highway and my MyTouch screen says it is shutting down to conserve battery. Never seen this before. I exit the highway and lose my power steering. Soon after that I receive a message on the screen behind the steering wheel saying the transmission is overheating and the car is shutting down. Died right there on an access road. Immediately called Ford Roadside Assistance who called 911 to get cops to help me get out of harm's way and a tow truck who said they would be there 75 minutes later. Tow truck was an hour late so I was stranded for almost 3 hours total, but I got the car towed to a dealership to be checked out Monday.

Has anyone experienced this issue or have any idea what it could be?

Just another fun day with this car. I'm not sure how much longer I can put up with it. This will now be the 7th time I've brought the car in for transmission related issue.

Wes
It sounds like your car was built at the end of the shift.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
dbenney
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1195
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 5 dbenney Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriously Focused View Post
It sounds like your car was built at the end of the shift.
HAHA.... on the real, contrary to popular belief there is no difference between a car made at the start or end of the shift or on monday vs friday. the problem with almost any car is not the assembly process. The problem is getting defective parts from vendors. believe it or not almost all auto manufacturers use the same part vendors. The foreign cars have just as many problems and recalls as the US autos, they just dont get the negative press that our cars do.

To the OP: I think I wold look for a different dealership to deal with.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #8
Seriously Focused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101141
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sport 5 Dr

FF Reputation: 1 Seriously Focused Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenney View Post
HAHA.... on the real, contrary to popular belief there is no difference between a car made at the start or end of the shift or on monday vs friday. the problem with almost any car is not the assembly process. The problem is getting defective parts from vendors. believe it or not almost all auto manufacturers use the same part vendors. The foreign cars have just as many problems and recalls as the US autos, they just dont get the negative press that our cars do.

To the OP: I think I wold look for a different dealership to deal with.
You are correct in your assessment of vendors / suppliers of OEM parts.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #9
JesseE1981
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88551
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 JesseE1981 Good Standing Member
I really hope the transmission dies in mine....with the problems I've had, it would put this car out of its misery, and make me happier.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 10 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishGuy91 View Post
This afternoon I'm on the highway and my MyTouch screen says it is shutting down to conserve battery. Never seen this before. I exit the highway and lose my power steering. Soon after that I receive a message on the screen behind the steering wheel saying the transmission is overheating and the car is shutting down.
The BCM uses load shedding strategy to prevent the battery from going dead, however...

If the battery was not being charged, you should have had a warning light in the instrument panel.

Did you see any warning lights?

Bookmarks & Social Networks