Hesitation at speed - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
dckotwicki
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 50924
What I Drive: 2010 White SEL

FF Reputation: 1 dckotwicki Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Angry Hesitation at speed

I own a 2010 Focus SEL with 50K miles on it. I am noticing a slight / subtle hesitation while at speed. I can be doing 50MPH, 70MPH, cruise on or cruise off and I feel a hesitation from the engine. It is as if it is windy out and the car is buffetting slightly but is is not windy. It is also something that is more recent.

The engine idles perfectly.
( I am current with oil / oil filter and air filter changes)
If I bring the engine to 2500 or 3000 RPM it seems very smooth.
Since this began, I have also noticed an occasional roughness in the engine at start-up that smooths out right away.

When it began, I called the Ford dealer and asked if the car had a fuel filter that could be changed and was told "No". Is that correct?

Any ideas? ? ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Jgrove998
i <3 my ST

Fan#: 45311
What I Drive: '12 Fusion SE V6

FF Reputation: 24 Jgrove998 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
I believe you have a "in tank" fuel filter on that model.

Only thing I would suggest is getting some new spark plugs (I would recommend Autolite 104's properly gapped).

You could also check and be sure there is no corrosion on your battery terminals.
'07 ST ; formally bewst'd - R.I.P
D23 Crew: #07
Old 10-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
sgtsmasher
need new focus?!

Fan#: 65000
What I Drive: 01 cd silver 3 door ztec

FF Reputation: 2 sgtsmasher Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
how about when your coming to a stop?
does it do anything then, or when your slowing down?
any unusual vibrating?

the only reason i ask is cause ive had brake problems before and thats what it feels like, is that the car accelerates hard and brakes fast and when at speed the rotors can heat up some wicked and slow the car down to where you can notice a difference. i cant hurt to check. ive had brake new calipers fail on me before, its very common but can happen!
Hatch Nation #72
Call Me BRANDO COMMANDO
Old 10-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
50k miles over 2 years is average mileage. You shouldn't be having any problems with anything just yet- as far as spark plugs and coil boots go. I would consider pulling the coils and boots off each plug and seeing if there is any oil in any of the wells. You might have a bad valve cover gasket that is causing some problems.

Although earlier fuel filters were required to be changed every 20-30k miles, I do believe that Ford switched to a "lifetime" filter in your vehicle. Hopefully someone with an 2010 will chime in to verify.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dckotwicki View Post
I own a 2010 Focus SEL with 50K miles on it. I am noticing a slight / subtle hesitation while at speed. I can be doing 50MPH, 70MPH, cruise on or cruise off and I feel a hesitation from the engine. It is as if it is windy out and the car is buffetting slightly but is is not windy...
Hi dckotwicki,

I would advise that you make an appointment at your dealership so they can take a look. Ford certified techs are in the best position to diagnose and repair your Focus. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me via PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgrove998 View Post
I believe you have a "in tank" fuel filter on that model.

Only thing I would suggest is getting some new spark plugs (I would recommend Autolite 104's properly gapped).

You could also check and be sure there is no corrosion on your battery terminals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtsmasher View Post
how about when your coming to a stop?
does it do anything then, or when your slowing down?
any unusual vibrating?

the only reason i ask is cause ive had brake problems before and thats what it feels like, is that the car accelerates hard and brakes fast and when at speed the rotors can heat up some wicked and slow the car down to where you can notice a difference. i cant hurt to check. ive had brake new calipers fail on me before, its very common but can happen!
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
50k miles over 2 years is average mileage. You shouldn't be having any problems with anything just yet- as far as spark plugs and coil boots go. I would consider pulling the coils and boots off each plug and seeing if there is any oil in any of the wells. You might have a bad valve cover gasket that is causing some problems.

Although earlier fuel filters were required to be changed every 20-30k miles, I do believe that Ford switched to a "lifetime" filter in your vehicle. Hopefully someone with an 2010 will chime in to verify.
All great info, folks. Thanks!

Have a great weekend,
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 10-26-2012, 11:48 PM   #6
dckotwicki
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 50924
What I Drive: 2010 White SEL

FF Reputation: 1 dckotwicki Good Standing Member
The vehicle behaves properly when braking and coming to a stop. I recently replaced the front rotors and pads. The car was acting like this before the new brakes and after the new brakes. There is no interference from the brakes... everything spins freely.

Anyone know what the spark plug gap is?
Old 10-27-2012, 06:21 AM   #7
coldbear
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78292
What I Drive: 2001 Burgandy ZXT

FF Reputation: 1 coldbear Good Standing Member
Yep...get it in to a Ford Tech. They love working on FF's. They'll fix ya right up.

Bookmarks & Social Networks