2012 SEL DCT better after repair? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #1
Cbolt1967
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107109
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 Cbolt1967 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 SEL DCT better after repair?

On my way home today as I was accelerating from a stop the car fell flat like she came out of gear. CEL came on. Car surged into next gear. Then fell again. Then shifted up again. Did this all the way to the dealership. I saw fluid between engine and transmission when changing my oil this weekend. I was already going to take it in and have it looked at. I'm at 59k miles and wanted it checked while still in warranty because I was get the "stall" and shuddering issues.

Anyway. Read the glowing car reviews and purchased it before I found out the DCT is a serious issue. Assuming it gets repaired I'm thinking it may be time to get rid of my Focus. After repair do the DCT's hold up? I love the car except for the DCT issues.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
falcompsx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108012
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3 S GT

Points 306, Level 6
Points: 306, Level: 6 Points: 306, Level: 6 Points: 306, Level: 6
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 falcompsx Good Standing Member
supposedly they hold up quite well after being repaired with the latest clutch pack and new seals. The problem is getting Ford to install the new parts under warranty. At best they'll flash the car and send you on the way with education about how this is normal, unless you get lucky. Good luck.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,179, Level 34
Points: 3,179, Level: 34 Points: 3,179, Level: 34 Points: 3,179, Level: 34
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 41%
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
All over a crap $10 seal that leaks..................you'd think they would know to make that seal perfect when it is directly tied to the successful implementation of their latest technology......Ford cost-cutting to the rescue again............
Old 07-17-2014, 02:45 PM   #4
falcompsx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108012
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3 S GT

Points 306, Level 6
Points: 306, Level: 6 Points: 306, Level: 6 Points: 306, Level: 6
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 falcompsx Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
All over a crap $10 seal that leaks..................you'd think they would know to make that seal perfect when it is directly tied to the successful implementation of their latest technology......Ford cost-cutting to the rescue again............
its not just the $10 seal. the clutch packs have been updated as well. and the issue is that the $10 seal replaced on its own won't fix a contaminated clutch which is quite expensive. Thats what ford refuses to eat the cost of, the clutches. Also the labor to replace them, its a pretty extensive time consuming process to get to the seals and reinstall the (hopefully new) clutches.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:27 PM   #5
TooOld
Focus Addict

Fan#: 128586
What I Drive: 2014 Sterling Grey SE

Points 1,682, Level 23
Points: 1,682, Level: 23 Points: 1,682, Level: 23 Points: 1,682, Level: 23
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 4 TooOld Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
I doubt it's Ford cost cutting. More like Getrag or whomever supplies the seals for Getrag. Ford probably contracted with Getrag to pay $XXX per DCT. Getrag or their supplier cut the costs. IF that was even the problem.

We don't know if the seals were a design error, manufacture error, installation error, or some combination thereof.

Nevertheless, Ford (rightfully) takes the heat.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:21 PM   #6
JM1984
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 164266
What I Drive: 2012, Blue, MK3, DCT

Points 37, Level 1
Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 JM1984 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbolt1967 View Post
On my way home today as I was accelerating from a stop the car fell flat like she came out of gear. CEL came on. Car surged into next gear. Then fell again. Then shifted up again. Did this all the way to the dealership. I saw fluid between engine and transmission when changing my oil this weekend. I was already going to take it in and have it looked at. I'm at 59k miles and wanted it checked while still in warranty because I was get the "stall" and shuddering issues.

Anyway. Read the glowing car reviews and purchased it before I found out the DCT is a serious issue. Assuming it gets repaired I'm thinking it may be time to get rid of my Focus. After repair do the DCT's hold up? I love the car except for the DCT issues.
Got new clutch pack and seals about a month ago, and I've put on about 700 miles since. Car accelerates and shifts beautifully, but I'm a little concerned about a "growl" at the beginning of the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts when the car has been driven for about a half hour in stop and go traffic. Doesn't always happen, and once I can reproduce it for the dealer I'll give them a call. Hope this helps.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:22 PM   #7
Cbolt1967
Focus Rookie

I just don't think I can trust my Focus after this. I don't think the new clutch pack and seals will keep a DCT running for another 100k miles. I'm very lucky it "died" at 59k. I don't want to know what I would have to pay if it was out of warranty. Dealer got me a rental and told me the new seals and clutch pack will be in next week. Like everything about the car. Guess I should have purchased a manual. Thought about trading it in for a 5 speed, but the way Ford has handled the DCT issues they aren't trustworthy.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:27 PM   #8
TooOld
Focus Addict

Fan#: 128586
What I Drive: 2014 Sterling Grey SE

Points 1,682, Level 23
Points: 1,682, Level: 23 Points: 1,682, Level: 23 Points: 1,682, Level: 23
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 4 TooOld Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbolt1967 View Post
I just don't think I can trust my Focus after this. I don't think the new clutch pack and seals will keep a DCT running for another 100k miles. I'm very lucky it "died" at 59k. I don't want to know what I would have to pay if it was out of warranty. Dealer got me a rental and told me the new seals and clutch pack will be in next week. Like everything about the car. Guess I should have purchased a manual. Thought about trading it in for a 5 speed, but the way Ford has handled the DCT issues they aren't trustworthy.
59k on a 2012; as in miles? Wow.

In what manner do you feel Ford should have handled the DCT issues to be trustworthy?
Old 07-19-2014, 11:56 PM   #9
Cbolt1967
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOld View Post
59k on a 2012; as in miles? Wow.

In what manner do you feel Ford should have handled the DCT issues to be trustworthy?

Yeah. I've slowed down in my old age. You live in DFW. 20k\year isn't much. My daily commute is 60 miles. That's just work. Add in fun after work and weekends. Visiting family in Houston, Austin, California, etc. Adds up quick.

Anyway. "That's normal for a DCT transmission". Numerous TSB's. Had a friend told by one dealer she "didn't know how to drive a DCT." Another tech told her "Yeah they do that. We don't know how to fix it". Cleaning contaminated clutches instead of replacing? List just goes on.

How about they issue a recall. I own up to my mistakes.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:21 PM   #10
FelixtheFocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 169154
What I Drive: 2014 ti Tux

Points 228, Level 4
Points: 228, Level: 4 Points: 228, Level: 4 Points: 228, Level: 4
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 FelixtheFocus Good Standing Member
Some of these seem to be dealer problems. How's that fords fault? Doesn't matter if they issue a million TSBs or completely recall they whole fleet if the dealers can't treat you better than that.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.