Ok do i wait for an ST or do i buy a fully loaded sel - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #11
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

FF Reputation: 2 cbdallas Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have a Ti with Sync/MFT and DCT. I'm seriously considering trading it for a base ST and getting rid of both of the car's Achilles heels. Trading in MFT for the turbo, and the DCT for the 6-speed would be a win-win IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #12
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
i guess it really depends on what YOU want.

Comfortable daily driver- SEL

Performance manual hatch- ST

your trying to compare apples to oranges, tho both may be a focus, both are NOT the same.
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums

Advocare 24 Day Challenge!
Old 10-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #13
Uptcv1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88390
What I Drive: 2012 sonic blue SE sport DCT hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Uptcv1 Good Standing Member
I would just hold on to the svt! Or wait a year or so for st after first year cloud settles..
Old 10-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #14
unclebrud
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85754
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S (Ingot Silver)

FF Reputation: 1 unclebrud Good Standing Member
I would go for the ST. The regular SEL is good, but does not have an edge to it - it is an excellent normal car. I rented an SEL hatch and drove it 2200 miles. Very enjoyable, but not nearly as fun/agile as the better Mk1 models (especially if you factor in the DCT).

Even if you get the new ST, you should hang on to the SVT. That is one of the most desirable Foci, IMHO.

You should drive them both...
Old 10-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #15
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebrud View Post
I would go for the ST. The regular SEL is good, but does not have an edge to it - it is an excellent normal car. I rented an SEL hatch and drove it 2200 miles. Very enjoyable, but not nearly as fun/agile as the better Mk1 models (especially if you factor in the DCT).

Even if you get the new ST, you should hang on to the SVT. That is one of the most desirable Foci, IMHO.

You should drive them both...
I've driven both. The SEL is very nicely appointed and a good drive. I don't get why people rag on the DCT so much, maybe its just the ones I have driven (including my SEL) which worked flawlessly except when I left it in manual mode from a stop and forgot to shift up, which doesn't happen very often. Its quick to shift and is very smooth from day one for me, even under full throttle accelerations and even at highway speeds (55-70) when needing to accelerate it seamlessly drops from 6-4 or 6-3 for more power and then shifts back up for better fuel economy.

The ST on the other end is a lot of fun, and once you get used to the layout of the 6MT and get a feel for the engine speed/ road speed relationship for each gear its very fun to drive, but the clutch was way too light and it felt like a light switch. I was able to easily modulate it with some practice on the launch/ start from a stand still however.

The ST does have more power so it will shove the car forward harder, but its also heavier than the SEL, the normal focus weighing in somewhere around 2948-30xx lbs and the ST weighing over 3200 lbs with the intercooler, turbo, beefier 18" wheels and tweaked brakes and suspension.

As a hot hatch the ST is superb, but for normal traffic and cruising the SEL takes the crown for me. If I had enough money I might have had both, or if I had waited for a 2013 as its the only way to get roughtly what I wanted in 2013 as they screwed up the color palate and options matrix vs the 2012.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #16
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
I don't get why people rag on the DCT so much, maybe its just the ones I have driven (including my SEL) which worked flawlessly except when I left it in manual mode from a stop and forgot to shift up, which doesn't happen very often.
You can drive my car.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #17
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
You can drive my car.
Yeah well I understand that in your case you believe the clutches to be going already, possibly due to an oil seal failure as in the TSB, but since your dealers refuse to actually look at it for an internal leak without seeing anything external and the car wasn't throwing any codes they are giving you the shaft so far. However I have to wonder why a rental car with 17k miles on it last year felt as smooth as my new one with about 3 miles on the clock the first time I drove it despite the different programming and the initial states of wear where as other people who have issues are being told this is normal.

Grinding or slipping clutches is not normal. But to trash the technology full stop because of an unspecified number of faulty units that may only comprise a small percentage of the vehicles sold with the same hardware is not good either.

Now had a 6MT been available with the same gear ratios or close enough with as tall a final drive or taller rather than being down a gear and therefore spinning much faster at the same speeds in the normal car it might have been worth it. However since it was not available on any U.S. Focus besides the ST and its geared slightly more for performance at this point in time it wouldn't be a good transplant candidate for those who want good mileage.

Try driving a 2009 Focus with the 4AT, its only party piece is the tall final drive so if you were able to roll in 4th with the converter locked at 70 it might be turning over between 2370-2400 rpm, but everywhere else it stinks, its too laggy, rubber banding on the start and spinning the wheels at every aggressive corner manuver, etc.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #18
sogosu
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104452
What I Drive: 2012 white platinum titanium hatch

FF Reputation: 1 sogosu Good Standing Member
I probably should have waited for the 6MT ST
Old 10-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #19
quattro1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97618
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 quattro1 Good Standing Member
Every now and then I think about trading my Ti for an ST but don't think I ever will.

My Titanium with cloth sport seats and the 5spd manual with the handling package do a fine job of keeping me entertained on my daily commute of apprx 80 miles a day. Yes more speed can sometimes be wanted but then my MPG will drop, which is one of the main reasons I got the Focus.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #20
GR34TWHI73N0RTH
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96598
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport 5 Spd

FF Reputation: 1 GR34TWHI73N0RTH Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Buy an Se sport, Make your own RS (since we will never get one)

est.
Se Sport = $21,900
LSD = 500
Turbo = 4000
6 speed standard = <4000
Tune = 2000

Total $32,400

Rs est. $36,000

Savings $3600 (wheels, exhaust, intake, etc.)

pimp decision.

Bookmarks & Social Networks