Rattles Galore - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #11
BlueIce
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93794
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 BlueIce Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have the exact same problems. It really takes away from the enjoyment of an otherwise pretty solid car. The most annoying two rattles I have are in the headliner and somewhere on the passenger side of the car

www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293992
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 06:29 AM   #12
tech10002
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104134
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 tech10002 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woggy64 View Post
Maybe that's a GM trait - my Mustang and Escape were rattle free, along with many F-150s and Ranger's we've had. So, I beg to differ with that assessment of US built cars.

Our '08 Toyota FJ Cruiser was a rolling musical box of noises as the end of it's life with us. And even it's replacement, the 2012 GLK 350 has been back to the dealer for a squeak with the belt and had to have all four window tracks replaced because of squeaking when you lower/raised a window.
Yep, I agree. I have a 2012 Mustang and an 06 F-250 4x4 with 110k on it. Both of them are totally rattle free, and the F-250 has been over some pretty rough roads in its life. The Focus is a month old with 2000 miles, and it's the biggest rattle trap I've ever owned. I've stuffed a bunch of foam in the headliner and overhead console and shut up a few of them, but there are still plenty in the dash and doors. The dealer here is too incompetent to fix anything that doesn't set a CEL, so it would be futile to bring it in.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #13
elwood125
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 17784
What I Drive: Mk 3 Blue Candy SE Sport 5spd Hatch

FF Reputation: 4 elwood125 Good Standing Member
It shouldnt have to be this way, but I fixed my headliner rattles by cutting cubes of packing foam into small squares and placing one in each corner where the sunroof is. Give that a go, sorry to hear about it though it does suck on a new car.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:37 AM   #14
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hey folks!

If you're experiencing a pesky rattle as well, please send me a PM so I can get your cases escalated. I'll need your VIN, preferred servicing dealer, mileage, full name, and daytime contact number; I'll handle the rest.

Have an awesome weekend!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 10-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #15
merkidemis
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105291
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE

FF Reputation: 2 merkidemis Good Standing Member
Update - 2012-OCT-26

Dropped the car off today at the dealer (#2) for three of the issues:
  1. Rattle behind the head unit
  2. Front right suspension noise
  3. Trim visible excess foam from when they padded the gauge surround.
Now, yesterday, 10/25, I had ridden around with one of the service people to let them hear the noises. It took a little while, but he did hear both of them. Still, the dash rattle was very intermittent and faint. We thought perhaps the cold weather moving in would exasperate the problem, making it easier for the tech to pin down. So, postpone the service until today.

Today, dropped it off around 9am, and I get a call at around noon that they are unable to hear any of the noises, even the suspension racket that, for me, is easily repeatable. Ok, fine, maybe another week of cold will flush them out.

Pick up the car, get the work order saying they tried to locate the noises, couldn't, but did remove the foam from the gauge cluster. I get in the car, and start driving home. About halfway home, the sun hits the gauges pretty directly and I notice a ton of scratches around the 20MPH mark on the speedometer. Touching them with my finger confirms that yes, they are pretty deep and on the outside.

*SIGH* So, I get home, pissed, call the dealership, and schedule them to take a look at the damage on Monday morning, as I don't really feel like driving all the way across town again today.

I will say though that the rattle from the head unit was very rare on the ride home. I didn't have a passenger with, so the suspension issue didn't rear it's head either.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #16
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIce View Post
I have the exact same problems. It really takes away from the enjoyment of an otherwise pretty solid car. The most annoying two rattles I have are in the headliner and somewhere on the passenger side of the car
I've got the same ones, along with two more recent ones.

First, the 'pax side' one might actually be your heat shield under the middle of the car. I swore up and down it was under the pax seat or in the door, but my wife confirmed it was definitely coming from under the console area. The acoustics really fool you when you're driving the car solo. It's speed/wind related so I know it's outside.

Second, I've recently had a squeak/rattle develop that sounds like it's in the center of the glareshield, just to the inside of the windshield. Near where the light sensor is. Seems to be a *lot* worse when it's cooler out. I've also had intermittent rattling in the trim just in front of the MFT touch display.

All are crazy annoying. But the first one is by far the worse. I've had it since I bought the car, the dealer's tried to fix it multiple times, and it's still there... 13,500+ miles later...

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
Old 10-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #17
tech10002
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104134
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 tech10002 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by merkidemis View Post
Dropped the car off today at the dealer (#2) for three of the issues:
  1. Rattle behind the head unit
  2. Front right suspension noise
  3. Trim visible excess foam from when they padded the gauge surround.
Now, yesterday, 10/25, I had ridden around with one of the service people to let them hear the noises. It took a little while, but he did hear both of them. Still, the dash rattle was very intermittent and faint. We thought perhaps the cold weather moving in would exasperate the problem, making it easier for the tech to pin down. So, postpone the service until today.

Today, dropped it off around 9am, and I get a call at around noon that they are unable to hear any of the noises, even the suspension racket that, for me, is easily repeatable. Ok, fine, maybe another week of cold will flush them out.

Pick up the car, get the work order saying they tried to locate the noises, couldn't, but did remove the foam from the gauge cluster. I get in the car, and start driving home. About halfway home, the sun hits the gauges pretty directly and I notice a ton of scratches around the 20MPH mark on the speedometer. Touching them with my finger confirms that yes, they are pretty deep and on the outside.

*SIGH* So, I get home, pissed, call the dealership, and schedule them to take a look at the damage on Monday morning, as I don't really feel like driving all the way across town again today.

I will say though that the rattle from the head unit was very rare on the ride home. I didn't have a passenger with, so the suspension issue didn't rear it's head either.
It sounds like your dealer is about as stupid as mine. LOL This is exactly the reason I'm gonna fix all the rattles myself. The dealer is just too incompetent to fix anything. In another car I had years ago I had a sunroof problem that required removing the headliner. The first time they gouged it with a screwdriver in about 20 places. They ordered a new headliner and proceeded to gouge the second one up the same way. A third headliner was ordered, and they said they got it fixed. It appeared okay, but I didn't look close enough. Months later, I noticed a discolored section by the back door. They had gouged it and had it repaired with that spray on stuff. Not only did the repair suck, but they got overspray all over the door panel and side glass. Of course the car was out of warranty then and they wouldn't do a thing.

I learned my lesson about letting dealers touch anything on the interior.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:21 AM   #18
engine ear
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5447
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 engine ear Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Just passed 5000 miles...rock solid.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #19
merkidemis
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105291
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE

FF Reputation: 2 merkidemis Good Standing Member
Oh just wait another 5000-8000.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #20
Seriously Focused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101141
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sport 5 Dr

FF Reputation: 1 Seriously Focused Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech10002 View Post
It sounds like your dealer is about as stupid as mine. LOL This is exactly the reason I'm gonna fix all the rattles myself. The dealer is just too incompetent to fix anything. In another car I had years ago I had a sunroof problem that required removing the headliner. The first time they gouged it with a screwdriver in about 20 places. They ordered a new headliner and proceeded to gouge the second one up the same way. A third headliner was ordered, and they said they got it fixed. It appeared okay, but I didn't look close enough. Months later, I noticed a discolored section by the back door. They had gouged it and had it repaired with that spray on stuff. Not only did the repair suck, but they got overspray all over the door panel and side glass. Of course the car was out of warranty then and they wouldn't do a thing.

I learned my lesson about letting dealers touch anything on the interior.
I have never seen a more jacked up repair job from a dealer.

Jamming a piece of foam in there is NOT the way to address anything.

Bookmarks & Social Networks